looking for work

hi folks,i am out of work still as of my earlier post,and im actively looking all the time for full time work.signed on with a few agencies in manchester and was promised the earth off all of them.in 4 weeks ive had the offer of one days work,taking a 7 tonner up to glasgow and back.is this the norm with them just to get u on board? and if anybody knows anywhere still looking,c and e ten years and clean,cheers lads and lasses.

lefty61268:
hi folks,i am out of work still as of my earlier post,and im actively looking all the time for full time work.signed on with a few agencies in manchester and was promised the earth off all of them.in 4 weeks ive had the offer of one days work,taking a 7 tonner up to glasgow and back.is this the norm with them just to get u on board? and if anybody knows anywhere still looking,c and e ten years and clean,cheers lads and lasses.

Go on VOSA website search of people with I licences in your area. Get CVs printed and hawk yourself round all the haulage firms in your area. The best employers don’t need to advertise

Tipper Tom:

lefty61268:

The best employers don’t need to advertise

Thats the truth of it, where i work now has never, and i suspect will never, advertise for drivers, indeed only rarely in their long history have the advertised for anyone at all.

You can’t beat knocking on doors but look the part, not done up like a dogs dinner but like a proper lorry driver expecting to do a days work, be polite and friendly but confident, The Man if you’re lucky enough to see him can judge you there and then and how you would come across as his representaive delivering to one of his customers, beats all this online applications faff into a cocked hat…take CV’s with you to hand to anyone who shows the slightest interest.

Agencies aint worth a lick of spit in most cases.

Hi Lefty - Im having a near identical experience myself, but unlike you ive only just entered the fray (catC). Obviously its a widespread tactic and in no way personal! Tom & Js advice (and all the time-served guys on here, for that matter) is invariably top notch and I for one always take on board the hard-earned wisdom of their words. By sheer coincidence, just got a txt from the agency & will be doing my 2nd 7.5t job for them in the morning. slowly slowly catchee monkey!

I must have been right place right time, got C work within a week of being made redundant (only passed 8months before with little experience), then passed my C+E and got offered full time straight away.

Good luck and don’t give up, I got my start by going to the yard, not over the phone or job centr.

I’d be interested to know if you hold a class 1 or 2 licence & which agencies in Manchester you have signed on for.

JQ - It`s in his post, hidden at the bottom. C+E 10yrs & clean.

Never done agencey myself but from what ive read here they should be flat out the next few weeks.

i signed up to pertemps,best connection,and gap.nice ppl dont get me wrong but they dont deliver wot they promise.if i cant find work now,wots it going to be like after christmas?

I’d be following Juddian and Tipper Tom advice. Even if you haven’t got loads of experience, if you seem the right sort of person you might get given a chance. Some companies prefer that sort than yet another miserable know it all.

Just sent op a pm. Job is agency but starting full time soon.