Looking for work - York area

Hi,

I am new to the site and am after some advice about firms in the york area. I am leaving the forces after 22 years and have had my C+E licence since 1999 and i have done quite a bit of driving for both agencies and as an employed driver. I have done my 35 hrs CPC training, got my digitach card, ADR and Hiab.

I would like to do tramping so would be willing to travel about an hour or so to get to work.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers

John

:smiley:

You could try T.J Smith at Nun monkton, they seem to advertise on a regular basis.

joodis.net/jobs-uk/index.php?opt … id=1160071

Or Alfred Hymas was mentioned on here the other day at Burton Leonard (Harrogate area)

alfredhymas.co.uk/alfred_hym … yment.html

you could try Hull, there’s container firms up there as well as Harrison Solway…

Try Nestles, i know their after a roamer, saw the job advertised when i was in the traffic office. Money is alright too if you get on for Nestles.

Reed/Boardall Boroughbridge are always looking for drivers.

^^^^ that’s cos they pay crap money £7.21ph

ianb4310:
^^^^ that’s cos they pay crap money £7.21ph

True, not great money but if it was a choice of working for them or not paying my mortgage I know what I would do. You get more for weekends.

Thanks for the advice so far. Don’t suppose anyone knows about any firms offering chance of european jobs? I have never done it commercially but i was based in Germany for 5 years.

As always, any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Reed Boardall do have some euro trampers - GAZLEEDS on here works for them on euro. If you do a search, plenty of people have had their say on RB’s terms of employment and wages etc. so you can make your own mind up.
Otherwise, try some firms in Hull or maybe places in West Yorks (Yeardley? Maru? Joda?).
Get googling, compile a list, and go knock on some doors!

rb only channel hop, max 1 hr drive, bit like going on Woolwich ferry :smiley:

madmackem:

Thanks for the advice so far. Don’t suppose anyone knows about any firms offering chance of european jobs? I have never done it commercially but i was based in Germany for 5 years.

As always, any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Try Stobart at Sherburn.
There’s lads on here running on the NAAFI contract to Germany.
Mind that’ll end soon enough anyway with the drawdown.

On the European front I can give you some advice my friend. I am from York and there isn’t anything round York on the euro side. Nothing. I can give you a contact number of a bloke in Sunderland that will let you keep your truck at home and you’ll do three weeks away, decent money.

Maru aren’t looking for anybody, they have two at the moment doing the odd day who are waiting for a full time job.
Yeardleys won’t touch you without at least three years worth of euro references.
Surefreight need a uk driver which may lead to euro work.
Neill and brown at hull won’t take anyone unless they’re a “known” driver or you’re sucking the balls of one of their blue eyed boys.
Try HLH at Bradford, they’ll run you ragged but you may get a job doing belgium constantly, Steve is their gaffer.
Nidd transport sometimes cross the water but only rarely
Reed boardall only send blue eyed boys across and it’s ■■■■■ work…
Goss international do some Italy, try them, you might fall lucky.
Gibson Taylor tranzsol never need anybody, but you can try
Viamaster don’t do continental they just ship trailers.
Tap freight at Barnsley are worth a phone call. If you have ADR
Try montgomery transport at Preston but jobs are like rocking horse ■■■■■■
Otherwise, call Ziegler at both Durham and Portsmouth, they both have north based subbies, explain you are looking for work and you would like them to forward your details to any haulier that might need drivers, their work is mainly France…
Phone freightex in Dover also they will do the same.
When you phone Ziegler at Durham ask for RICHARD.

Stay away from TJsmith and RT Keedwell they’re both ■■■■ firms and ■■■■ pay…try Geoffrey Munford or Munford Haulage at tollerton, your best bet is get the address out of the phone book and turn up, mr munford is a nice old bloke, old fashioned and pays well for what you do, brand new trucks and you’re finished 1400 Fridays usually…

Also Revis of York, young John Revis is a bit of a nob, but it’s good tackle and decent money, they’re at tockwith.

Don’t bother with mill field haulage they’re a crock of ■■■■.

Don’t go to stobarts, you’ve watched channel five, the entire world will mouth “■■■■■■” as they drive past. To the rest of the haulage world you will be branded a w****r. Ask ANY driver who’s not Stobart. I bet you twenty million quid you won’t find any who think any different.

Stay away from pallet force type companies delivering groupage - it will rot your brain.
Stay away from companies that deliver to supermarket - same applies

Ps, don’t go to thackrays or mike kirby… Run bent/crap pay etc…

Any questions, just ask… And I hope you get on the continent, it’s a shed load easier, more relaxed and a load more fun, once you’ve done it, you’ll never go back to uk work those who knock it haven’t tried it.

Ps, go to www.tunderman.nl and get the phone number for the office in Europoort, Rotterdam…
Call it, ask to speak to MARCEL… He’s the boss of tunderman transport… You will have to catch the hull-Rotterdam boat across for your interview (£70 quid return incl cabin at the moment and it’s two for one so you can have the day out in Rotterdam with the wife!)

He MAY give you a chance with you having worked in Germany, you would get a dutch plated left ■■■■■■ Scania or volvo, you’d keep the truck in hull and run ALL of Europe!

Good luck!!

Read TomToms posts above as to how advice on Trucknet really should work! Top posts.

Great posts those tomtom, cheers for the info. Will be referring back to this in the weeks to come!

Try Millfield haulage as well in poppleton just outside York do alot of class two work dont know what they are like to work for.

JellyFox:
Try Nestles, i know their after a roamer, saw the job advertised when i was in the traffic office. Money is alright too if you get on for Nestles.

I was gonna say that but thought it would be dead men’s shoes. Bet it’s an absolute doddle as well.

the maoster:
Read TomToms posts above as to how advice on Trucknet really should work! Top posts.

That’s what I’m on here for, If I knew about trucknet when I started driving things would have been a lot better and some ■■■■ jobs avoided… Anybody struggling with European issues (just starting it/thinking about it/going to new countries or simply where to park or eat across Europe) can come to me too…

I’m not a “big 'ed” just a bloke who will share knowledge… I sometimes need a helping hand too!!

Silver_Surfer:

JellyFox:

I was gonna say that but thought it would be dead men’s shoes. Bet it’s an absolute doddle as well.

You normally have to work up to roamer.

The new starter will start on internal / factory shunting round the York site.
Then double heading (days / nights)
Then roaming.
Normally there’s someone already lined up for the roamers job from the double heading / shunting (if no double headers want it) pool.
Unusual for a newbie to go straight onto roaming.

Plus I think you need three years experiance.

Nidd go over every day, night, week. No vacancys at present as far as i know.