Looking for truck info

Hello everyone

I’m researching trucking for a story I’m writing, and wanted to ask this forum a few questions…

What are the most respected makes of trucks - historically & contemporary? Any idea what makes of trucks are famous around the world? Someone told me Peterbilt is an American Icon - are there are any iconic UK brands, or worldwide brands?

Have any of you done any international trips? Any stories? Do you know of any famous routes around the world - maybe, for example, through the deserts of Africa or the snow plains of Siberia? Are there any famous (or should it be infamous!) routes - ie longest, most remote, most dangerous?

I’d love to hear any of your thoughts, recommendations and stories.

Thanks for reading this
Emma

Just in case people are wondering - I’m a development researcher & I’m developing a programme story idea about trucking round the world (so no deals to make it yet…but you never know!). So I wouldn’t quote any info, recommendations or stories that you tell me (I’m not a journalist!) - I’m just trying to get some great ideas about trucks and routes. I’m thinking the Australian Road Trains or routes across Siberia where (I’ve been told) drivers light fires under the engines to stop them freezing - is that an urban myth?! (You can tell I’m a total truck novice!)

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of any UK based clubs that I could also talk to?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Cheers
Emma

try contacting some firms who went abroad e.g.http://www.jmi-group.com/

hi Emma
No lighting fires under the engine is no a myth…
we used to run to greece some 18 years ago and the fires were part of everyday life… if you could drive off the train that carried you through Germany you were doin well. Temperatures were in winter often around -40
and we never had night heaters either…ahh those were the days. :laughing:
as for famous trucks i personally think the big dafs have it the 95xf 530 or 480 guess what i drive :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: but on the continent you always seem to get more volvo’s :stuck_out_tongue:

SCANIA SCANIA SCANIA, but dont quote me, Im only 22 and only class 2 but I do think DAF after all these yrs have it right! But recently my confidence in the Magnum has been restored, I always loved them wagons!!

Kev

NO NO NO KEV
You are quite obviously not an O/D
I just got rid of my Scania because i like my trucks to move and earn money not much good sat in the yard looking pritty :smiling_imp:

Well at least they look pretty, at the end of the day its each to there own, I love Scanias, but ive had my eyes opened recently, Im not going to comment on this topic anymore because there are so called marques out there that ppl love, but they were that good that we dont see them anymore, Scania, in the old days, and not forgettin Volvo in the F86 days, they were cutting edge at the time, and IMHO finished the british truck industry!!!

Tin hat on…

Kev

jon manns still do run to northern africa but from what i heard from one of there drivers there paid an absolute pitence ( not far off minimum wage).

but they seem happy in there work which is mainly hanging garments, and shaggys right they should be able to tell you a few storys

jon

Talking to the bloke off the Renault stand at truckfest, he said that the love for Scania’s is just a UK thing… Apparently in spain ‘n’ italy the renualts are more sought after…

As with cars, there are trucks for everyone… Personnaly i’m with Kev, and love Scania’s… But then i’m new to this game and still want a nice lookin bling truck more than a comfy / reliable one…

Sayin that tho, the 95XF is a popular choice for ‘groups’ like wincanton, and FH12’s amongst the OD’s… so they must be doing summut right…

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

I read on the internet a few month ago that all John Mann drivers are now Moroccan as he went Betz. Surely this cant be true, can it?

I read on the internet a few month ago that all John Mann drivers are now Moroccan as he went Betz. Surely this cant be true, can it?

No!

Wheel Nut:

No!

Thank God!

Here in the states, Peterbilt may be an “icon”, but then so are Kenworth (same manufacturer), Western Star, Marmon, and even Mack. Any one of these 3 are also known for good build quality, and Mack is also known for their nearly bulletproof engines and transmissions.

Freightliners, Volvo-Whites and Ford/Sterlings are not known as much for build quality, often being fleet vehicles. International is almost always a fleet vehicle here.

As far as motors go, here in the states, 95% of trucks use either ■■■■■■■■ Caterpillar, or Detroit Diesel motors. Macks almost always have Mack engines.