Looking for truck info

Hello everyone

I’m researching trucking for a story I’m writing, and wanted to ask this forum a few questions…

What are the most respected makes of trucks - historically & contemporary? Any idea what makes of trucks are famous around the world? Someone told me Peterbilt is an American Icon - are there are any iconic UK brands, or worldwide brands?

Have any of you done any international trips? Any stories? Do you know of any famous routes around the world - maybe, for example, through the deserts of Africa or the snow plains of Siberia? Are there any famous (or should it be infamous!) routes - ie longest, most remote, most dangerous?

I’d love to hear any of your thoughts, recommendations and stories.

Thanks for reading this
Emma

Just in case people are wondering - I’m a development researcher & I’m developing a programme story idea about trucking round the world (so no deals to make it yet…but you never know!). So I wouldn’t quote any info, recommendations or stories that you tell me (I’m not a journalist!) - I’m just trying to get some great ideas about trucks and routes. I’m thinking the Australian Road Trains or routes across Siberia where (I’ve been told) drivers light fires under the engines to stop them freezing - is that an urban myth?! (You can tell I’m a total truck novice!)

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of any UK based clubs that I could also talk to?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Cheers
Emma

Fires under engines in really cold weather (-30 and below) is not a myth, sometimes it’s the only way to unfreeze an engine enough to get it started.
Not done it myself, but I know people who have.

Over here (up state Ny) we don’t light fires … LOL

We do leave the engines running 24/7 to stop them freezing when sometimes for a 2 or 3 months it touches -50f.
I once stopped my engine last winter for 2 hours to buy and fit a new alternator in side an unheated shed and it took several heaters for the fuel tank, engine, radiator etc an hour to re-heat an thaw out everything. It gets so cold that we are told not to expose any bare skin, hand face or otherwise for more that 5 minutes.

Rikki,

Please see my post in UK Prof version of this thread.

Just signalling my presence for the feedback :laughing:

Salut, David.

dont get cliff started on best trucks, the last time he started a conversation on this topic he upset a load of septics on the other side of the pond, dummies well and truley spat hehehehehehe!!!
cliff has anyone twigged the connection yet??
chris

Regarding the most famous makes in the US, Peterbilt is the name of choice for Owner Operators and then you have Freightliner, International, Kenworth.
Some of the most famous of routes are route 66 which was a legend in the old days but has all but gone as we use mostly intersate routes.

Here’s another bit of trucking lore from running the Rocky Mountains in the winter:

I pulled into a truckstop in Rapid City, South Dakota once during a blizzard. The road was closed just the other side of town, so I parked before all the spaces were gone.

Now, I’ve lived in the northeast most of my life, and I’m used to heavy snow, but it was -40 here! Most trucks in the US have 1 drive axle and both trailer axles that set when you park, and when driving in the winter, it’s common practice to only set the tractor brake, rather than let your brakes freeze up.

At this particular truckstop, I noticed that they had old telephone poles sitting at the edge of the lot, and they had been rather well secured. I asked one of the locals about this, and he said that they were put there, on a slight downgrade, so that drivers could park their trucks without setting the brakes!!