Looking for the truth...Have you changed jobs recently?

Hi All,

Some of you will remember me as a regular poster on here, some won’t, but for those who don’t I’m Rikki’s wife, I drive and I write for the trade press. Once again I’m on the hunt for a specific group of people, so if anyone can help please do get in touch…

We’re looking to do a feature for Commercial Motor about the REAL reasons drivers change jobs, because, let’s face it, what you tell your soon-to-be-ex TM, or what triggers the putting in of your actual notice is very rarely the root cause of your departure, merely the last straw.

In the last few weeks asking random people about this it’s usually a lot more to do with general morale within a firm, the way planners and other staff deal with drivers, issues with promises not being kept etc. etc. etc. Sure, some people really will jump ship to the outfit next door for an extra 50p an hour and a shiny new truck, but not many, not if they’re happy where they are.

SO…If you’ve changed job recently or are planning to, and are willing to - COMPLETELY ANONYMOUSLY - tell me the real reasons why, could you drop me an email at lucy@truck.net with a contact number so I can get in touch? Please DON’T post here if you’d like your “voice” to be included, as then we won’t be able to republish your story.

The reason I’m asking for emails rather than PMs through TN is simple - I’m still down the road myself for the rest of this year, my netbook has died and my phone is crap, so I’ll be able to acknowledge you far more quickly this way. If you’d rather PM, feel free, but it’ll be next weekend before I get your message, so please don’t think me ignorant if I’m slow in replying! Obviously those of you who have me on Facebook can contact me that way as well.

Rik’s promised to bump this for me through the week, so here’s hoping some of you are up for talking to me. Remember, this is ANONYMOUS and is a chance for drivers to tell operators how it really is, rather than what they said when they quit be that in the heat of the moment or because they didn’t want to entirely burn their bridges just in case…Many thanks! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

(Oh, and if anyone who’s helped me in the past would like to post and confirm I am who I say I am and WILL treat you fairly, it’d be greatly appreciated! Ta!)

I seem to remember in one of your pieces for CM you weren’t overly complimentary of drivers in general. Maybe those on here should bear that in mind.

Olog Hai:
you weren’t overly complimentary of drivers in general.

Lucy told the truth then you mean?

im in the process of leaving stobarts and going self employed ltd company

Left driving around 18 months ago now due to the office staff having to ‘justify’ their existence at the company and look ‘pro-active’. :unamused:

Wife’s never seen me so relaxed since. :sunglasses:

Left doing heavy work few months back for a well established company am sure ricki will no by red and white. To nice steady number for there rivals and best move ever made on avreage I take home around £200-300 more in the bank each week. Doing much lighter work no lumping timber or chains about or any other rubbish. Plenty of reasons why left pretty much same reason the other 8people left in space of 2weeks not bad to say was dead mans shoes once upon a time.

Olog Hai:
I seem to remember in one of your pieces for CM you weren’t overly complimentary of drivers in general. Maybe those on here should bear that in mind.

Let’s face it drivers are seldom complimentary of others in the industry either, surprising when you consider they are the best thing since sliced bread. :unamused:

Olog Hai:

Fair point. I’m always honest, both in print and on here. With this piece we’re genuinely looking to get to the truth, so operators can hopefully improve driver retention as a result. Take the opportunity to help make things better by being equally honest, or don’t. Your choice entirely.

I am quitting at Xmas. I get worked to extremes to be told by the boss,“I got good money for that job” a job that I drove umpteen hours to complete, whilst I get salary regardless of hours that I work. We get little reward and very little time off. Hence the need to change jobs.

If you remain anonymous can you still mention the firm you left and reasons why■■?
I left a large haulier last year to one with a only a few trucks and the change is incredible.

Lucy:
Hi All,
Some of you will remember me as a regular poster on here, some won’t, but for those who don’t I’m Rikki’s wife, I drive and I write for the trade press. Once again I’m on the hunt for a specific group of people, so if anyone can help please do get in touch…

We all have our crosses to bear :wink:… Looks like an interesting article topic though.
I can’t help much as I moved from being an internet marketing sales manager back to the road as I had enough of office politics and moaning customers. Was even offered a 50% pay rise to stay.
Anyway sure the seeds of moving jobs are sown early and a culmination of factors lead to that final straw, some missinterpreted, some chip on shouldery and some genuine gripes about poor planning and management styles.

I look forward to the article.

‘Improve driver retention’■■

Not a chance!

More likely pigs will fly first.

And, explain agencies - (‘as and when needed’)?

To 99% of transport companies, you’re just a piece of meat on a seat that can be replaced at a drop of a hat these days!

That’s what they were like at my last place…

‘If you’re not happy, there’s plenty out there who’ll take your place.’ As the saying goes.

DD, 50% pay rise to stay!!■■ :open_mouth:

Just proves how much they can / could pay someone if they wanted to…

Goldfinger:
DD, 50% pay rise to stay!!■■ :open_mouth:

Just proves how much they can / could pay someone if they wanted to…

I wouldn’t have stayed at my last job for double pay.
I go to work to earn money but I can’t be treated like crap for any money.

All good stuff, thanks guys. Could those of you wishing to contribute email me your contacts to lucy@truck.net please? (See note in opening post re:internet connection down the road!) Thankyou! :grimacing:

As far as anonymity (sp?) goes, we won’t give your real name nor that of the company you left. It’s the reasons behind drivers changing jobs we’re looking for, not to name-and-shame anyone - if only because it would be unfair to then not give them right of reply, which in turn would leave no room for the real “gristle” of the piece. That and lawyers are pricey… :open_mouth:

I’ve given a bit more thought to the point I accepted above re:some of my past stuff in CM. I’m guessing it’s the “Top 10 Things Your Drivers Do To Annoy You” being referred to. I’d look at it like this - I’m a driver and don’t want to see them done down, but if I’m asked to set a question then that’s what I’ll do, and the answers printed will be true to those given by the participants regardless of my personal views or biases on the subject. Now, if that ain’t proof I’m always straight down the line when it comes to quoting people, I don’t know what else is - what you say is what I’ll include and that’s it, whether I personally like it or not! :slight_smile:

And on that note, I shall leave you all in peace, as I’ve an early start tomorrow. And remember, lack of reply doesn’t mean I’m ignoring you, it means I’m still down the road with only a dodgy phone that won’t load TN for connecting to the Web…I promise I WILL get back to you when I get home, whenever that may be! :grimacing:

Thankyou all again!

I will be contributing, I recently left a well paying job with one of the budget supermarkets because I was at the end of my tether. I am now an agency muppet doing 2 to 3 days a week, skint but much happier :smiley:

Firstly, I want to say a few words in praise of Lucy, I met her for the first time with her husband Rikki when I won a competition run by Trucknet, and the prize was an all expenses paid trip to America to visit the Mid American Truck Show ( MATS ). art of this trip was to visit a truckers radio station and talk about Tachographs and how it may benefit American truckers ( or may not lol ) Lucy appeared with me on this show, and quite frankly I was gobsmacked by the knowledge and care Lucy has of this industry ( I`m a bit old fashioned with women not being by the kitchen sink lol ) tin hat on lucy, but my views have changed considerably, possibly by old age, and the fact i have met and worked with quite a few Lady drivers such as yourself.

Ok Lucy, I was sacked by a very large company after a disciplinary procedure, this company worked to the book, and there lies the problem, drivers would often be called to book because they only had 29 minutes instead of 30, only had 44 instead of 45, and we had to sign an infringement notice as well. The T/M has since been sacked ( reason unknown ) but the problem was that he was a college kid, put through the CPC to be installed as a T/M because they could not find anyone willing to do the job on such a low wage. Couple this with the majority of the planners who have no idea of drivers stresses, rules and regulations etc, but are merely employed to push pallets from A to B. I found this very frustrating at times, especially when taking a break, and because of trackers, would often phone to ask why we had stopped. They also had no idea of the regulations we had to work under. We also had to endure the constant ringing of the phone, even though they could see at a glance we were on the move, yet they could order every 3 years a brand new fleet of trucks and trailers in excess of 70 outfits, have the bells and whistles for their pleasure, yet no hands free system which would aid their operation, instead of having to find a layby or services to return the call. I loved the old bosses because they had experience of being on the road whereas today it seems not many in the office have an idea of what we have to go through, pushing us to work the maximum hours, with the minimum of rest, and todays drivers are fed up with it.

I’ve just left a job that more or less have done for 15 years.I was hauling steel , and could do the job standing on my head , but the wages were poor and the company was a joke to be honest .I m a month into a new job on a walking floor and so far I love it fingers crossed it stays like this !!!

I’ve just left a job that more or less have done for 15 years.I was hauling steel , and could do the job standing on my head , but the wages were poor and the company was a joke to be honest .I m a month into a new job on a walking floor and so far I love it fingers crossed it stays like this !!!