looking for some advice

hi my name is fergal im in ireland,im looking to get advice from any one out there im looking to get into full time driving, but i have been trying for ages but cant find any thing.i drive a sprinter box van at work but looking to into the big trucks but no one want to give me a chance.i have a full e+c licence for 8 years i all so have driver card,cpc i dont have ADR dou. im would even move to the uk if it mean getting some reel driving under my belt. ?.thanks

All I would say is join an agency and be prepared for a long haul cus it won’t be easy, also apply for any job that comes along cus you might get lucky and get taken on. Best of luck and don’t give up .

I have been in the same position as u before all u can do is keep on phoning round and posting and e mailing CV 's to potential employers don’t lose faith eventually you will find something as some one said agency’s usually take new drivers

Agency is the way to go as others have said its how I got my job and be prepared for bad jobs and trucks but stick it out it will pay off.
Also your could changed your E+C for a C+E that may help lmao :laughing: :laughing:

You’ve had it for 8 years but couldn’t turn a job up? Are you stuck out in the boonies?

Agency work is probably your best route and I’d suggest a refresher course as you did it 8 years ago.

i did a refesher couse 2 years ago and it still got me no where other then been out a lot of money.

fergalreilly:
i did a refesher couse 2 years ago and it still got me no where other then been out a lot of money.

Are you applying for jobs? Are there jobs to apply for where you are? Are you in the town of Cavan? You’ve had it 8 years which really should have got you a job by now if you’d got busy with applications and there wasn’t a recession 8 years ago!

yes your right there is not that many jobs over here now the country is in a mess but i still looking and sending my cvs to every one.must have sent of about 50 cv s in the last 3 or 4 months,im only 27 and in ireland most compaines wont take any one on till your 25 and when i turned 25 thats when the recession started to kick in,there is some young boys out there driving the big trucks alright but any of the ones i talk to say they are working for the family company or for there good friends.

Well if the work won’t come to you what about a shift to Dublin? If you speak to anyone about a job are you telling them you have no experience? If so I’d suggest you just say something like “have had c+e for 8 years and been driving for a living since then” so that the implication is that you’ve been on the wagons for 8 years.

its not good lieing either i could tell companys ive drove artics for years but if you crashed then you would be in ■■■■ street.ive been driving a sprinter box van for the last 6 years but that does not seem to cut with the compaines either you have drove artics or not.i tryed all over ireland and cant get any thing, i think moving to the uk mite be my only hope for a few months just to get some driving behind me.ill tell you,s a story how bad its been for me, i called into a big haulage company in northern ireland i wont say there name they do a lot of fridge work to uk/europe,they told me yes we take on young drivers,they said they a 23 and a 24 year old lads on there books driving but they had to pay half the cost of there insurance,i told them i would be happy to pay that no problem,then the boss went of and came back a few mins later and told i would have to pay the full cost of my insurance,so i told him would be willing to pay it if it ment just getting out driving,then when he heard me saying i would pay it all then he turned around and said that fridge work would not sute me,now thats some kick in the balls he was never gonna take me on,now how hard is it to train some one in and show them the roaps.