Looking for opinions here

I’m looking for all informations I can get about TransX.
What are they like to work for?
Pay and conditions?
Do you get enough miles to survive, or I should actually say, to live well?
Anything whatever you know about them , I would like to hear.
I’m thinking about applying to them with their Winnipeg depot, most likely.
Or maybe you think it is a bad idea?

Thanks

From what I see on the road the best thing to do at TransX is get on the turnpike division, you don’t see single trailers behind TransX tractors very often anymore.

A friend’s brother is on their lease programme, he seems happy enough.

Apart from that, I know SFA about them.

I go to western Canada very rarely these days so the only TransX trucks I see are those in Ontario or more often down in the US and the vast majority of their drivers, infact all of them that I can think of in the past few years have either being Indians (not the native variety) or Russians or something similar. Now that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re a crap company but like any company that has to employ a huge percentage of foreigners, like the ones here in New Brunswick that have huge numbers of British, Dutch, German, Irish, Polish, Russian, Romanian etc drivers and hardly any Canadians at all, its because they’re crap firms and the only people they can get to stay behind their wheel are foreigners who stay put for the duration of the PR process and tend to leave the minute they get PR, only to be replaced with another foreigner.

I’m always wary of these big companies any way. Mileage pay being what it is in North America, its very easily to get lost in the crowd in big firms, when dispatchers have dozens of other drivers, maybe more, all squawking like hungry chicks in a nest for miles so they can “survive” plus big firms always have a huge amount of b/s to follow and in my opinion it makes the whole experience less than desirable. If you’re already in Canada and know the score with things then fair enough but if you’re looking to come over here and start afresh then I’d be inclined to advise you to start with a smaller firm who would be much keener in general to keep you moving and earn a living and actually know your name rather than a big company with several hundred trucks where you’d just be one of many, struggling to be heard.

But as I say, this is merely a generalisation, I know absolutely nothing specifically about TransX.

I know they have a contract with Mondelez / Kraft foods. I see the Kraft foods yards in Montreal and Allentown PA have a great deal of Transx trailers and some yard jockeys in their livery. I see their trucks running up and down I-87 all the time.
Never heard any bad reports from the drivers I have talked to.

Used to see them a fair bit when ran California lot of cowboys with wrap around stetsons. One of the guys I work with now said he got as far as orientation with them found out how much he was getting per mile and walked out but that’s the good old MMTM true ot not don’t know

Glad you mentioned it Taffy .I’ll always give TransX a wide berth just as I would with Day and Ross purely due to the driving standards of their wraparounds , or lack of .
Anyone see the Hit and Run “driver” who missed the eastbound entrance to Moosomin scale ? Brake , brake , oh shoot straight on into the ditch :unamused:

flat to the mat:
Glad you mentioned it Taffy .I’ll always give TransX a wide berth just as I would with Day and Ross purely due to the driving standards of their wraparounds , or lack of .
Anyone see the Hit and Run “driver” who missed the eastbound entrance to Moosomin scale ? Brake , brake , oh shoot straight on into the ditch :unamused:

Didn’t gear bout that but there again Hit n Run won’t post anything bad on their FB page. Dont think there’s enough time in the day for that lol. Personaly I wouldn’t want to work for another large company coz you tend to get lost and become just another truck. I know a few drivers that came over for a big company and have ended up moving on and are much happier in a small company and are doing a lot better for themselves

Thanks guys for your replies
So, it looks like nobody here went over to Canada through TransX
From what I know they require you people wanting to emigrate to work for at least a year driving in a team, which I’m not so keen on.
Some of you suggest to look for a good small company,first of all how to find them? and if they are small and good why would they want the hassle of replying to someone’s emails, who lives thousands of miles away, applying for a LMO, if they have drivers available localy?

Their latest advert on kijiji, posted 5 hrs ago says “lots of miles, great pay package, $45 - $60k a year.” which all contradicts itself, if you think about it.
I read on another advert in Calgary that it’s 44c a mile, but that’s no good if you’re being sat.
Also, I believe, they are being cut back to 100kmh on the limiters, losing more money.
They were the first Canadian company I had an interview (seminar) with in the UK in the beginning of “06”, everything was going great till the end, they then told us, the ones who wanted to go, to line up and pay GBP6,000 to get us there.
HaHa, mass exodus.

Haha, thanks for that info Neil

I see the standard of their driving 5/6 nights a week when they come in our yard to pick up trl’s.
They are, I would say 95% team and one occasion 4 got out the cab.
They cannot or don’t know how to reverse, slide axles, scale axle weights, etc.
Many coming in now are Eastern European and they are almost as bad.
It isn’t only TransX, it’s all the big players with reefer trl’s.

I arrived at the meat inspection in Sweetgrass,MT one day and there where 5 TransX trucks on the docks. As I walked into the building I thought I had walked into a taliban staff meeting.

internetfan:
Thanks guys for your replies
So, it looks like nobody here went over to Canada through TransX
From what I know they require you people wanting to emigrate to work for at least a year driving in a team, which I’m not so keen on.
Some of you suggest to look for a good small company,first of all how to find them? and if they are small and good why would they want the hassle of replying to someone’s emails, who lives thousands of miles away, applying for a LMO, if they have drivers available localy?

For a start you can use google , then ask on sites like this one (my company has vacancies in Edmonton), then just pick up the phone . Emails mean SFA but a voice on the other end of a call could make all the difference . Have you tried the Loblaws , Westcan or Seimans route yet ?
Face facts , the opening door might not be what you’re "keen on " but it might be the means to the end you wish for.

Gotta be a certain type of person to drive team lol. The problem over here is that a lot of Canadians wanna go where the money is and that means the oil patch or the mines or something similar therefore OTR companies struggle to find drivers. I’m over the moon in the company I am now and we also bring drivers from Europe or i just wait for unhappy H&R drivers to phone me up lol

Ok, guys so if you know any good companies, that would be willing to employ a foreign driver, and you know they treat drivers right, let me know , please, if you don’t want to throw names and addresses, (or at least the place where they are located or where they need drivers) around just pm me, please.
I’ve sent email to , I’d say about 20 companies so far and haven’t had any positive replies yet.
I might now start calling them if that’s what you think is the preferred option of contact.
Thanks

I know its not cheap but a little holiday in Canada and calling by a few yards may be worthwhile.

KR 79 is right, come over and hire a car. Just drive round and introduce yourself to all the usual suspects. Most companies will take the time to show you around there premises. You can even go to see Trans X. Eric Carlson is the health and safety/ training guy there; he is a good bloke so you should get good orientation. My old mate Mike, from Big Freight is on there and drives a new Cascadia, he seems happy enough with the miles he’s getting.

I bet Uncle Arbon could give you a few pointers for accommodation too :laughing:

I thought it was against forum rules to advertise that there was a spare room at your residence where for $350 per month you had your own room,all bills paid, use of laundry, kitchen, bbq, internet and Netflix. Is that true?

Yes Chris, it is against the rules to advertise that you have a room to rent for $350 a month all in.

So can you please stop posting that you have rooms to rent at $350 a month all in :laughing:

Also don’t mention that it’s a very nice house with a good atmosphere, and that you’ll be sharing with other British lorry drivers who can give lots of useful advice to a newcomer. Or that Road Rage’s missus is a wizard in the kitchen :sunglasses:

You have been warned :open_mouth: