Looking for long established hauliers

'm planning a feature on haulage businesses which were set up by soldiers returning from WW1 and which are still operating today. I have a few to talk to but I’d welcome a steer to any more you may be aware of. Thanks.

Colin Barnett:
'm planning a feature on haulage businesses which were set up by soldiers returning from WW1 and which are still operating today. I have a few to talk to but I’d welcome a steer to any more you may be aware of. Thanks.

W H Bowker was set up by in 1919 by William Bowker, with his war service gratuity, and has traded continuously since

My old pal Arthur Lowdons Dad George Lowdon fired up up with Public transport buses in 1916, He ran a few en route to Newcastle with Lancias , His younger brother Caly, (Caleb) was a real character, The United belonging to the Thomas Tilling Group used to hound them & race them from one bus stop to the next, But old Caly had a real fast Lancia & could pip them to the post many times, But in the end The Tilling Group put them of the road, So old Geo. got into the haulage game, Which Im very pleased to say is still trading as G,Lowdon Ltd North Road Garage, Seaton Burn. Its Run by the grandsons, Freddie, David, & Grandaughter Susan Lowdon, This Info is with the courtesy of my best mate Arthur Lowdon, Regards Larry.