Looking for first hgv job

Just wondered could anyone give me a head s up on any companies that would take on a newbie driver in the Suffolk area?or does anyone know of any good agencies that might get you work,any info back from someone,that be great

jlarmstrong:
Just wondered could anyone give me a head s up on any companies that would take on a newbie driver in the Suffolk area?or does anyone know of any good agencies that might get you work,any info back from someone,that be great

The opportunities for work depends on the type of licence you have. Most of the more experienced members will tell you to do some ground work in your local area. Knock on doors, cold call basically put yourself about and let the local employers know you want work and your deadly serious about it.

Don’t be downbeat if nothing happens straight away it can take time but if your persistent something will come up. My pennies worth is take anything that comes. If you’ve got a C licence consider 7.5t work or if you have C+E consider C work. Better to have a foot in the door doing something than nothing.

Good luck in the search all the same.

Sound advice.

thanks for the reply daddy p,well i ve got my C+E for a few years now,Id like to start of in a 7.5 tonne or C,to see how I get on,i ll try about to see how I get on,thanks again

thanks for the reply daddy p,well i ve got my C+E for a few years now,Id like to start of in a 7.5 tonne or C,to see how I get on,i ll try about to see how I get on,thanks again

jlarmstrong:

Sign up with some of your local agencies for C and C+E and let them know your available. When I started off with C+E I did the same and told them I’ll consider anything night or day. My first run was in the winter of 2009 for a night trunk run due to the bad weather the regular driver didn’t show so they needed agency and last minute. Got the call a hour or so before shift start.

Everything possible was against me, first time at night, first time in snow and ice, first time out alone, first full load etc but I did it even with all the above ringing alarm bells in my head and got back with no issues despite the nerves. From that was offered a shift the next night and my C+E experience started from there.

I guess the moral is it don’t matter how you get your break, trick is recognising it and grabbing it with both hands, be professional, take no risks, speak to the more experience drivers about what to expect on your run and have faith in your ability despite the lack of experience.

Every driver on this site had a first day, it will be a memorable one when yours comes round.