Looking for Family Run Transport Business/Experts

I am a student at National Film and Television School (NFTS), Beaconsfield, UK doing Diploma in Factual Development and Production. For our graduation project, we are required to develop and pitch a show for a TV Channel.
Hence for this assignment I wanted to research more about any small family run transport businesses based around UK with good characters and genuine expertise in the field of transport. They can be in any kind of transport (factory goods, agricultural, Heavy Machinery, petroleum or any other type).

I shall be grateful if you can PM me details or provide leads that you think could be good.

Thanks a lot
Sac

Admin Edit
This topic has been OK’d by Admin. dd.

I was under the impression that sensationalist documentaries about road haulers had been done to death, so you might want to consider an alternative subject for your thesis

peirre:
I was under the impression that sensationalist documentaries about road haulers had been done to death, so you might want to consider an alternative subject for your thesis

Ive heard of people pre-judging what they havent seen, but not everyone goes so far as pre-judging what hasn`t even been made yet.

How about encouraging the budding film producers to believe that not quite all lorry drivers are quite as unkulturr…incultive…thick… as some previous films may have portrayed us?

I think there’s probably only a certain type of “family business” that would welcome cameras into their world. I’m pretty sure my TM clients, who are very much a family business involved in the world of metal recycling, would not appreciate things being caught on camera :laughing:

You are better off asking local farmers around where you live. They will be more than happy to help.

Franglais:

peirre:

Ive heard of people pre-judging what they havent seen, but not everyone goes so far as pre-judging what hasn`t even been made yet.

How about encouraging the budding film producers to believe that not quite all lorry drivers are quite as unkulturr…incultive…thick… as some previous films may have portrayed us?

Unfortunately the nature of student studies generally requires then to research information and then do a physical case study, and much of the time their lectures encourage them to consult forums and message boards to get information, which is why when thesis season comes around the forums are plaqued by students posting biased questionnaires and requests for access to businesses to allow them onsite, instead of them donning their boots, picking up the yellow pages and knocking on doors of local businesses and speaking to the managers onsite