Looking for European work?

Just wondering if anybody out there has any idea of a company that will give me a chance to prove myself on the continent? Don’t mind going away for a couple of weeks at a time. I am from Fife Scotland but I don’t mind commuting a few hours north or south for the right job! Any advice appreciated.

cheers :slight_smile:

Its tough out there at the moment with decent euro jobs thin on the ground.

Scotland has quite a few fridge hauliers running into europe so why not start with them. I have no knowledge about your particular area but if your prepared to travel then get out and about and go see some people.

Sound advice that has been given many times is to actually visit yards and talk to people. It’s holiday season so if your flexible you might just get chance of some holiday cover. Prove yourself reliable and the next available seat could be yours.

Good luck

Cheers
Neilf

Curries of Dumfries.They have a depot in Holland.
PC Hamilton.
Insight ltd at Inkberrow Midlands.They do Spain and Gibraltar.Ask for Gilbert or Steve Walker.
Birds in Birmingham.German work.
Gerry Jones Wales.
S and K Barry Wales.
John Raymond Wales.
Ralph Davies Cheltenham.But more UK work.
Davies International Southampton.
Pulleyn Reading.
Walters bulk tippers.
Breen Trans Ireland.
Nolans Ireland.
Virginia Ireland.
Surefreight.
O Reilly Ireland.
Caffreys Ireland.
Mguires Ireland.
Peter Green fridges Evercreech Somerset.
PTM Reading.
Pickfords Removals UK.
Broughton transport.Was Mortimers Eat More Chips at Broughton Gifford Melksham Wiltshire.Ask for Toby Ovens.

Secure Cargo Assured ltd at Yate Bristol.
Italian experts that have a depot in Milan called Gamco spa.
They use subbies and owner drivers.They may need a holiday cover.You said a few hours.I know the list may be too far for you.
You will need an attestation activity letter if you have no tacho records for the last 28 days.
To prove a holiday,sickness or time off.
The fine for not having the letter is from 2000 to 3000 euros.
If you get a fridge job check the expiry date on the trailer for food transport.
Photocopies of any paperwork are not valid.They want original paperwork of the vehicle documents.
Two warning triangles for breakdowns and wear a hi viz when standing in the road.
A safe bolted under the bunk to keep fuel cards and other valuables safe if you are not in the cab.

Blimey Tobes he said he don’t mind traveling a couple of hours from Fife but some of those you posted are a day’s drive away.

He could drive or bus/train to work.Do two to five weeks away.
Some more firms to try are;
Armoric Plymouth.
Jeavons Euro Tir Birmingham.
Sealane at Dover.
Alcaline near Dover.
Heritage Dover.Fridges.
Richard Long East coast.Farm machinery.
Or try the Eures job search site.
Carl Brogin.
TD Williams Bridgend.

Thanks for the reply lads, will put the feelers out a bit. I am in full time work at the moment but really want to get on the continent

cheers

The novelty soon wears off when your wife or g.f wants you home and you can not drive for a four day truck ban.
I knew a driver that burst in to tears on his first trip to Euroland as he had a panic attack getting on the ferry.

You could try Millar International in Stirling.
As far as I know, we don’t have any vacancies so don’t hold your breath or get all exited. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get some casual to get a foot in the door or onto his ‘driver looking for a job list’. Only one way to find out.

Plenty of fish hauliers running into europe from scotland.

Toby, you have just summed it up, 45 off in a French services and not another beano in sight to talk to would soon sicken most of these lads off, we can run into Spain on a 7 day trip and can count the number of British trucks we pass on one hand, it’s a lonely job now…

Lrm

LRM:
Toby, you have just summed it up, 45 off in a French services and not another beano in sight to talk to would soon sicken most of these lads off, we can run into Spain on a 7 day trip and can count the number of British trucks we pass on one hand, it’s a lonely job now…

Lrm

Yep its lonely if single cabbed and there no money in it now due to the sandal brigade taking loads for peanut wages…1400 euros a month and live in the cab for three months is what you are up against with eastern hauliers !

Drivers that do European work never book ahead for theatre tickets ir concerts.
The chances are you will not make it.Then explain to the wufe and kids that you are stuck in a service area surrounded by 200 Eastern European drivers that all start up their engines every ten minutes all day and all night to charge up their batteries to power up the Sputnik mark four space station satelite dish .
Some of them get so drunk on 45 they start singing and dancing.

All of the above is true but if on for reasonable firm it can still be a very enjoyable job and one that I think every young driver should experience. Proper planning should mean you don’t have to spend 45 with 200 flip flops. And anyone that would just sit in a lorry and wait out a driving ban wants there head examined. Get out and meet the locals

I could never stay in the cab for a 45 hour off.But saw plenty that did.
I got on bus or walked to the next town.
The motorway services all have a service gate for the staff and you are not locked in.
I was parkex on.a MSA near Brussels and got the bus to the city.
I asked a copper if trucks are allowed to park.He said no problem as long as the fire hydrants are kept clear.

Simon:
You could try Millar International in Stirling.
As far as I know, we don’t have any vacancies so don’t hold your breath or get all exited. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get some casual to get a foot in the door or onto his ‘driver looking for a job list’. Only one way to find out.

thanks for the reply simon, ill give them a shout tomorrow. Are they a good company to work for?

thanks for the advice lads, the more advice the better!

Prepare to be on your own from friday night to monday morning if you have not got a load.
All the drivers you park with will not speak English.Pack a good bike to get away down the lanes.

G&S at Bellshill but there’s probly a waiting list. P&C Hamilton (not sure).

Just stand on a motorway bridge & clock the fridge firms heading south, chances are most will take fish to Europe as well as border hop.

The bloke who owns the red moss cafe near cairn lodge owns and runs 5-6 trucks doin fridge work on reg Spain he’s a really nice bloke call in and have a word