Looking for Class 1 work in the Merseyside area

Hi all, I have my C+E training next week after being made redundant from my class 2 job. Fingers crossed I will pass and I’ll be looking for Class 1 work asap.
Living on the Wirral, Aldi or Great Bear would be ideal for me but I’m pretty sure they want 2 years experience. Can anyone tell me which agencies they use?
I’m also looking at B&M in Speke as they take on newbies and always seem to be looking (not a good sign I know but I’m looking at getting a step on the ladder).
Also ADR network agency are advertising (constantly) for Iceland, Co-Op, Royal Mail, Lidl in the Runcorn/ Warrington area but at 35-40 miles away they’re abit far to travel. Co-Op is St Helens so this is an Option, has anyone used ADR before?
Another Option is the new ASDA depot in Burtonwood. They seem to have recruited all their new drivers but ive read they’ve been waiting since may so I’m sure some of them would have got fed up and gone onto other jobs. Does anyone know if they take on newbies and what agency will they be using?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :wink:

I think Assist in Widnes are the agency for Great Bear. Would think B@M would be a good start for you. Probably best to start there though agency first as its not for everyone. Tailored recruitment and search are 2 agencies i know of who deal with them. Challenge transport agency are advertising accepting new pass drivers in Knowsley. Could be for Matalan.

Theres a number of haulage companies around Deeside you could contact that will save you on toll fees.

Good luck with your test :slight_smile:

I was at Iceland Warrington through ADR mate. They will only take you as umbrella or LTD Co.

Umbrella as of April 2016 is no longer worth a carrot, and I don’t think it will be too long before the whole LTD Co farce implodes.

Thanks ZigZag that’s very helpful.
Thanks eagerbeaver I was wondering if ADR do PAYE as that’s the way I want to go. That’s put me off using them. What was the Iceland work like and where are you now?

Iceland like any retail deliveries can be a pain in the ■■■ to get into or find depends on how good a map to the store is but 1 good thing with doing retail is if your somewhere long enough you get to know where the shops are.
Poundland shops are the same really last week went from willenhall did shops in Stratford,Swindon Newbury and waterlooville sat nav stayed in the bag all day takes all the where’s this or that all day makes a difference,but as said retail isn’t everyone’s cup of tea as cages of frozen food is bloody heavy and trying to push over uneven pavements and up kerbs takes some doing.

Jeff has pretty much summed it up above in his post mate regarding Iceland. I am at Downton’s now running out of the Runcorn depot back on curtainside general haulage.

B and m Would be a good place to start, Shouldn’t be a problem getting in there and they’ll provide you with some good training. Coop take on fairly regularly through wincanton though they aren’t advertising at the moment. They will want you working all weekend and some of their stores at a huge pain in the arse to get into but on the plus side the training and experience are a massive benefit. Downton are now advertising for day drivers in Liverpool, I assume this is privonis on speke retail and they take on newly qualified. Could be a good place to start.

Thanks guys. I’m used to pushing heavy cages from the class 2 job I’ve been doing for the past 3 years so I dont see it a problem.

I seen Downton advertising but didn’t give it a 2nd look at £9ph but like you said pete its a start. Would it be best going through agency for B&M?

Eagerbeaver are you still enjoying it at Downton? Ever been to the Speke depot?
What are your typical hrs? Do they pay breaks?

Downton is £9 per hour + £5 per day meal allowance. O/t is £10.50 per hour, and bank holidays are double time. Most general haulage firms around here are all within £20 a week of each other. Unpaid breaks.

Christ that was weird! I knew you were going to ask me that at that exact moment-I am afraid of you now lol.

B&M is hard work mate. Some dodgy shops and lots of double decker trailers. I deliver to B&M quite regularly, both Speke and Middlewich and there seems to be a high turnover of drivers which usually means it’s gash.

Haha that is weird. The supermarket jobs got my attention because its good money but it does sound a hard graft and working weekends too. What hours do you do at Downton?

Nate187:
Thanks guys. I’m used to pushing heavy cages from the class 2 job I’ve been doing for the past 3 years so I dont see it a problem.

I seen Downton advertising but didn’t give it a 2nd look at £9ph but like you said pete its a start. Would it be best going through agency for B&M?

B and m advertise on their website for their drivers. They pay 11 ph plus a tenner a day allowance but the start times there can be very early.

I usually do between 52 and 56 hours Nate. Forgot to mention that there is a fuel bonus at Downton too.

Upto a £100 a month. Do you usually hit the target?