Looking for advice.

First of all, Hi :slight_smile:

Have been stalking this forum for the past week reading every thing i can trying to convince myself that this is definitely the right direction for my future career, safe to say i think i have my head and heart set on it now.

I’m hoping to do both my “C” & “C+E” in one go, is this a good idea, or am i possibly trying to do too much, given that i have no experience in this side of the transport industry.

I’ve requested the paperwork from the DVLA to get my provisional, and i am hoping to get some money saved by early spring to start my training, just a few things i want to find out before i start.

1, If i do my medical in the coming weeks for my provisional, how long is it good for?

2, Is there any part of the training i can do of my own back without the need to go through a training centre, just trying to find ways to cut down the amount i would have to pay in one lump sum when it comes to doing the training.

3, When it comes to that first job are you expected to just get on with it or, do you generally get a few days shadowing another driver?

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.
Dan.

Question 3 : Depends on the company, some say turn up for work and throw the keys at you and the run sheet, for 15 deliveries you have never done before .
Won’t show you how to use the tail lift and other essential equipment used .
Won’t tell you the best route advise for deliveries .
Will give the new start, the jobs that nobody else wants to do, and be the last driver to get back to base.
The medical is valid for two nonths before you send it to the Dvla .

DanHill87:
1, If i do my medical in the coming weeks for my provisional, how long is it good for?

2, Is there any part of the training i can do of my own back without the need to go through a training centre, just trying to find ways to cut down the amount i would have to pay in one lump sum when it comes to doing the training.

1 = at least 5 years or until you are age 45 whichever is the longer period

2 = that info is contained within the link in my signature below - happy reading

I did the medical and am doing the theory tests off my own back. Only going to a trainer for the practical stuff that I can’t do without them.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help, going to start getting my head down with the theory, any suggestions for any IOS apps?

also any suggestions for cheap medicals in Northumberland, just been quoted ÂŁ105 from my GP, the link in the help thread is broken or they are no longer around.

DanHill87:
Thanks for the help, going to start getting my head down with the theory, any suggestions for any IOS apps?

also any suggestions for cheap medicals in Northumberland, just been quoted ÂŁ105 from my GP, the link in the help thread is broken or they are no longer around.

Google HGV drivers medical there’s loads about for around £50 .
I’ve always used
driversmedicals.com
You just need to find something local.

nick2008:

DanHill87:

Google HGV drivers medical there’s loads about for around £50 .
I’ve always used
driversmedicals.com
You just need to find something local.

Excellent got a place not to far from me for the medical :slight_smile: thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno if it’s on ios but search the app store for lgv theory test + HPT kit by deep river development. I’ve found it plus the official DVSA books very good.

For anyone else after a cheap medical here is a link to the trucknet list
r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht … are_type=t

Cheap Medicals - Nationwide (Updated 29/06/17)
Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Depends on what you want to do mate.

I am far too workshy to do class 2 work, and my only interest has ever been in artics- so that’s what I went for right away.

I also break out in a cold sweat at the thought of agency work. So I trained with Stobart to get the shoe-in to a job, but then went to work for Downton because they seemed a better fit for me when I went in for the assessment. There are a few big firms who take new passes, and I’m sure there are small ones out there who do to they’re just harder to find!

slowlane:
Depends on what you want to do mate.

I am far too workshy to do class 2 work, and my only interest has ever been in artics- so that’s what I went for right away.

I also break out in a cold sweat at the thought of agency work. So I trained with Stobart to get the shoe-in to a job, but then went to work for Downton because they seemed a better fit for me when I went in for the assessment. There are a few big firms who take new passes, and I’m sure there are small ones out there who do to they’re just harder to find!

I do enjoy a challenge and I do think artics are definitely the better fit for me, Ramage are about 30 Mins from me so they’ll definitely be one of my first points of call when I start looking for work, granted I did apply for a transport planner job awhile back and never heard a peep from them :confused:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk