Looking for a job when your away all week?

Morning folks,

Just curiosity really but if you are someone who works all the hours possible and you work over what is classed as office hours… How do you manage to both apply for jobs and attend interviews?

Must be a ball ache, especially tramping as you can’t give a day that you are available for interview etc. I assume it comes down to telling a few porkies to wangle a day off?

I would book a weeks holiday.

Go sick for 2 days.

a tramper i know insists on being back early on fridays…not for interviews,more pub time i think!

It depends on what job you’re looking for, if you’re looking for another tramping job, then quite often you can get an interview on a Saturday afternoon and they’ll understand if you’ve come straight from parking your’ truck up. Still try and look smart though.

If you’re looking for something else then not so easy not every company works the hours haulage does. I was trying to get a job in IT, when I was tramping many years ago, I used to keep a load of CV’s in the cab and if I delivered to or saw a likely place, I’d take one into them. Did get a few looks leaping out of my truck and going into one of these plush reception areas, but mostly got a positive response and did get a couple of interviews from doing it. Did get work in IT, but wasn’t really for me in the end.

Got mine over the phone I didnt meet any one out of the office for at least 3 weeks

Interesting replies, cheers guys. It was more curiosity than anything else.

I’m happy (well I’m not really but it’s work and there’s naff all else around here for me!) doing what I’m doing but if I ever needed to get to an interview, I just wanted to know what everyone else does!
I guess it’d be a toss up between sick days and holiday depending on what’s the better option.

I’ve just changed job’s, threw a sicky for the interview, on the interview went on a driving assessment then kacked myself for a week case work downloaded my taco, got the job so the pressure was off lol

Explain you’re away all week and ask if they would mind a Skype interview

If the possible job (and employer) are worth having in this industry, they will bend over backwards to accommodate.

Throwing a sickie to attend an interview if found out via references would certainly result in the job offer being withdrawn where i work, how you behave towards and speak about your previous employer is taken into account.

I had to knock back assessment & interview this week,as I’ve no more hols this year.The company wouldn’t budge,offered to do it last week or any weekend, they refused, So I had to turn it down.

I’ve got an interview on Tuesday, I’ve asked for authorised absence and was given it, had they turned me down I’d have been upfront about where I was going and explained that I wouldn’t be in no matter what.

They are my employer not my slave master, they can’t refuse me the opportunity to attend an interview, they can’t sack me for one day off.

When all is said and done, providing I’ve had an offer of employment, it’s upto me where I CHOOSE to work.

NewLad:
I’ve got an interview on Tuesday, I’ve asked for authorised absence and was given it, had they turned me down I’d have been upfront about where I was going and explained that I wouldn’t be in no matter what.

They are my employer not my slave master, they can’t refuse me the opportunity to attend an interview, they can’t sack me for one day off.

When all is said and done, providing I’ve had an offer of employment, it’s upto me where I CHOOSE to work.

Yes correct iv always booked days off for interviews and if they have asked iv been honest and told them why.
Too many people use the hours they work as an excuse for staying in a rut…

Yes I’ve always done the same, told them I need to be off on a certain day & to plan ahead for my absence due to job interview. Never had a problem so far & on a couple of occasions been offered a pay rise on my return.