Looking for a job questions

I’m wondering if this is a good time in the year to change my career?
I passed class 2 licence three months ago.
I have a non-driving permanent job but for last couple of weeks I’ve been trying to get new job as a driver.
There is a lot of agency work now - but everything I found is just for Christmas rush period.
So I’m rather looking for something on a temp to perm basis - or directly in transport companies (not agencies) but with no luck so far.

I’ve been warned by a friend of mine working for agency - that a lot of them can promise me a lot to convince me to go with them but after Christmas as a newbie I will be struggling to find a job.

May I ask about your experience in this matter?
Should I rather give up searching for some time if I don’t get anything within a month - and keep my non-driving job for, let’s say, march/april?

In short mate I’d keep your ear to the ground and set your start for (as you say) March/April, when things start to pick up…

And yes, be cynical about ANYTHING an agency says to you! :wink:

Go direct to haulage companies .google your local ones or within 30 miles .what,area you in ?

Unless your impatient like me haha

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I got 3 job offers through facebook also ,im mulling them all over now .

What companies are hiring through Facebook lol

JaxDemon:
What companies are hiring through Facebook lol

There’s are a few groups on Facebook where some look for drivers though some agencies try to commandeer the pages

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Albert1:
Go direct to haulage companies .google your local ones or within 30 miles .what,area you in ?

Lancashire (North West)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Take the assignments with the agencies. Do a week, show your worth then enquire with the firm if they will take u on temp to perm. As a new driver the more/different vehicles you use the better to grow your experience.

Nearly all the placements i’ve worked since passing 18 months ago have resulted in job offers within a few days after they’ve studied my driving technique and me coming back empty/no errors or complaints. Ok if you’re a grafter, not really an option if you just want to ■■■■ about and drive like a ■■■■■■■■■

Just got an offer from Multi Trades Recruitment agency. Can you guys recommend them?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Luke81:
Just got an offer from Multi Trades Recruitment agency. Can you guys recommend them?

That’s a first, a recommendation request for an agency! :laughing:

In short mate they are probably all going to be scum in your eyes, and that’s because they will place themselves and the clients interests way above yours! As such (if they need to) they’ll use and abuse you if it’s in their interests without a second thought to your situation. However, over time and if they are smart, it is possible to build a relationship with an agency where they won’t be looking to abuse you, as they’ll instead realise you’re a possible long term meal ticket and a good ambassador for their services. Note I said a smart agency, so that narrows the field considerably… :laughing:

P.S. I know nothing about the agency in question though, and suspect you’ll get answers both positive and negative. So go along and see what you think yourself! And while you’ve got all the paperwork they’ll want you to take, I’d use the day to go and register with others in your area just to get on their books, even if they have nothing matching you advertised…

Enjoy! :smiley:

jump in,take the work flat out till it dries up.if you wreck stuff,just use a different agency.if your face fits,you will be kept being offered shifts.if your a fanny,then you take what scraps you get thrown…understand that an agencies opinion of you will be that of a ■■■■ generals opinion of an auswitz inmate an will be treated with similar contempt whilst using you to their best ability to suit them.though you will get the 2 faced pleading phone calls from them when they are stuck…remember the phrase from a agency saying…your the only man that can help us now,really means …everyone else in the pecking order above you has told us to ■■■■■■■ as its such a crap shift/company/conditions/rate…sign up with as many agencies as you like…believe nothing from them untill you get the call offering you a shift.you are a bum on a seat for them to place you with a client for a shift that dont exist till the phone rings.,but hey…its a living if it suits you…or…go and knock on some doors and get a real job.

dieseldog999:
jump in,take the work flat out till it dries up.if you wreck stuff,just use a different agency.if your face fits,you will be kept being offered shifts.if your a fanny,then you take what scraps you get thrown…understand that an agencies opinion of you will be that of a ■■■■ generals opinion of an auswitz inmate an will be treated with similar contempt whilst using you to their best ability to suit them.though you will get the 2 faced pleading phone calls from them when they are stuck…remember the phrase from a agency saying…your the only man that can help us now,really means …everyone else in the pecking order above you has told us to ■■■■■■■ as its such a crap shift/company/conditions/rate…sign up with as many agencies as you like…believe nothing from them untill you get the call offering you a shift.you are a bum on a seat for them to place you with a client for a shift that dont exist till the phone rings.,but hey…its a living if it suits you…or…go and knock on some doors and get a real job.

It’s good to see the ‘tact and diplomacy’ CPC module wasn’t wasted on you pal! :smiley:

But he’s right really, however they are a good way to see what type of work suits you…
And as a Class ‘VAN’ newbie, enjoy being pushed into food service! :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:

dieseldog999:

It’s good to see the ‘tact and diplomacy’ CPC module wasn’t wasted on you pal! :smiley:

But he’s right really, however they are a good way to see what type of work suits you…
And as a Class ‘VAN’ newbie, enjoy being pushed into food service! :open_mouth:

He was being kind… coulda said he was a “pure fanny”…[emoji23]

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk