Looking abroad

Hi all ,
It has always been my intention that in my later years I would like to finish my days abroad.Spain / Valencia area preferably.
How ever I’m getting itchy feet and fancy going sooner than I thought .
Will need to work ( dont fancy the bar / restaurant type work ).
So I was just wondering does anybody know of any companies in Spain that take on British drivers .
Europa - I have been told is a good place to start as they are British based by do have depots abroad,
Thanks all

It might not happen. You’re going to need to get a work visa to be able to live and work in Spain and unless lorry drivers are on their skills shortage list it’s likely to be a hard slog to get one. You’re going to need to find a job in advance, sign a contract, obtain a work permit, open a visa, and apply for a residence permit after moving and there are going to be minimum levels of competency in Spanish to be met. It can take 6-8 months. Lorry driving is NOT on the skills shortage list and basically unless you’ve got qualifications and experience in shipping (as in boats on the water), engineering and tech degrees and experience or can speak Spanish well enough to teach English you’re screwed. Spanish employers, like employers in the rest of the EU including the UK when we were in it, have to prove they’ve advertised the job in the EU and were not able to fill it from the EU labour market.

The only realistic option for people who want to move and live and work in Spain is to go self employed and set up a business that employs locals.

I’m not saying it can’t be done but you should have done it a couple of years ago when we still had the right to go a live and work in the country the same as the locals. The only other option is if you can qualify for citizenship in an EU country, for example if you’ve the right to an Irish passport. You’d get the citizenship of that country you have the right to citizenship for then you can move anywhere in the EU and live and work just the same as the locals.

Yes I know things have changed and you are spot on with all the info you give .
I know of a few people who came back .
Ideally I should have gone a few years ago but the timing wasn’t right .
However circumstances are changing .
The Jewell in the crown is that I have an Irish passport.
My family are originally from Ireland .

International driving jobs in Spain are generally filled by Bulgarian, Romanian and South American Spanish speaking nationals. Especially doing double manned.
There was a reply on here a bit ago by someone who drove for El Mosca doing international fridge work. Barely above slavery .

And everything Conor said above too. Less of a dream, more of a nightmare now.

Another option would be marry a Spanish lady. :laughing:

The irish passport will be a massive help and will I suspect open many doors for you.

Workwise as a driver it’ll be a difficult slog (unless your name is AndrewG :smiley: ). We have two drivers where I work who are both British by birth but have lived in Spain for over 20 years each and their respective children have gone through the Spanish education system. They do four weeks over here and then return to Spain for four weeks. Both of them have told me that the reason for this is that they simply cannot find driving work there despite being fluent in the language and having dual nationality.

the maoster:
The irish passport will be a massive help and will I suspect open many doors for you.

Workwise as a driver it’ll be a difficult slog (unless your name is AndrewG :smiley: ). We have two drivers where I work who are both British by birth but have lived in Spain for over 20 years each and their respective children have gone through the Spanish education system. They do four weeks over here and then return to Spain for four weeks. Both of them have told me that the reason for this is that they simply cannot find driving work there despite being fluent in the language and having dual nationality.

Whatever happened to AndrewG and Karla ? :neutral_face:

jakethesnake:
Another option would be marry a Spanish lady. :laughing:

He has an Irish passport, so not affected by brexit.

He is free to come and go within the EU on his Irish passport.

The way I understand it, there are only a shortage of drivers in those countries that are not already flooded with them. That would be Germany, Austria, Netherlands rather than Spain, Italy, and Greece for instance.
Unemployment is a problem on the costa de mediterranean - hence “no shortages” except of actual jobs of course.