Longs of Leeds Driver shortage

Seemingly, Longs have lost over 20 class 1 drivers in the last few months.

Including me.

3x15 and 2x13 each week, 4-5 nights out.

All for the princely sum of £7:25 per hour, overtime after 55 hours (an extra pound) £19:25 per night out and £1:15 per day eating out allowance. And, no layby rests, must be on MSA’s or Truck Stops. Pay for uniform.

Heard they just got a 20p rate rise.

Is it just me that ain’t surprised they’re short of drivers?

(Ps if you need a job…)

Saw 1 parked up for the night in Airdrie on monday, the 20 drivers are maybe there, cause its like Beirut

Its ok, January sees the influx of Romanians and Bulgarians who will think that’s a fortune!
I think some firms know this and are deliberately taking the ■■■■ knowing the positions will soon be filled

Vortexringpiece:

Sadly it isn’t enough to effect change. When I was at RB on agency before going to work for them, 50 drivers left in one week when Stobarts opened up their new depot at Sherburn in Elmet. That resulted in a massive change. Overnight the attitude in the traffic office of “If I could have you working 24hrs a day 7 days a week I would” changed to being reasonable. A 50p per hour wage rise happened instantly followed by several wage rises were implemented over the period of just over a year resulting in an almost £2/hr increase in total and a drivers group was formed to represent the drivers.

■■■■ thats wild bad money Longs are paying…so for a 40 hour week that works out at £290 gross pay…i can near earn that per trip (£220-230) and i can do 3 trips per week.

Longs featured in a magazine article some years ago. It was a regular feature in one of the trucking mags, an inside look at a firm from the drivers point of view. Longs got either a 4 or 5 star rating from their drivers. The rate then was £5 something an hour which was bad then. There’s drivers and there’s screwdrivers…

DrivingMissDaisy:
Longs featured in a magazine article some years ago. It was a regular feature in one of the trucking mags, an inside look at a firm from the drivers point of view. Longs got either a 4 or 5 star rating from their drivers. The rate then was £5 something an hour which was bad then. There’s drivers and there’s screwdrivers…

Edited to provide the story required, its no better than propaganda, and no better professionally displayed than from the state television broadcaster.

No doubt those who wouldn’t have given the correct answer were either ignored or out on long journeys when the ‘journalist’ was asking questions.

Vortexringpiece:

Including me.

All for the princely sum of £7:25 per hour, overtime after 55 hours (an extra pound) £19:25 per night out and £1:15 per day eating out allowance. And, no layby rests, must be on MSA’s or Truck Stops. Pay for uniform.

(Ps if you need a job…)

Well I’d do it,purely because the money is about the same as I get now,but I’d rather do there work than the work I do now,also even though the thought of sleeping in a tin box again doesn’t really appeal to me ,the fact I’d get 8/10 hrs a night sleep instead of 4/5 appeals.also it would be nice to have my own truck again that I can look after a take some pride in.
I was actually hoping that stobarts wouldn’t renew the lease on our yard and one of the firms like longs would take it over,but alas they did renew the lease :frowning:

I just enquired about some casual work for a reasonable sized firm in Doncaster and got told Saturday was a day rate of £80 up to 12hours, I left before he told me what it was after 12!! He did tell me they really struggled to cover Saturdays, I wonder why :open_mouth:

I have heard mixed reports about Longs in the past fortnight.I speak regularly with two drivers who left our place to go to Longs a few months back.They enjoy it because they want to be out every night, and want to do the maximum hours allowed.This is what Longs can guarantee.You can leave Leeds on monday morning, go down to Kent and Tilbury, back up to Hull or Leeds, then up to Scotch and be back in Leeds for friday evening/ saturday morning.The hours are there, so you can clear a decent amount for the week.

On the other hand, i have talked to drivers who are agency at our place and they go off on a rant at the very mention of Longs.

I know a few lads on there and they all seem to be happy enough…
Pay is poor throughout Leeds at general haulage firms in my experience… :frowning:

I’m doing a bit on agency at the moment, and will probably continue to do so until it dries up.
They have decent vehicles and not too many 9hr daily rests.

Depends which agency it’s for. If it’s for Dave you’ll be ok. :wink:

Stan

Stanley Knife:
Depends which agency it’s for. If it’s for Dave you’ll be ok. :wink:

I don’t know Dave.

Surprising figures here, overheard one of their night men in RDC saying he was on 9 odd quid/hr+, meal allowances etc & was in his bed every day…

Vortexringpiece:

Including me.

(Ps if you need a job…)

absolutely shocking rates of pay.
One name to put down under a header “avoid at all costs”

peak_46:
I just enquired about some casual work for a reasonable sized firm in Doncaster and got told Saturday was a day rate of £80 up to 12hours, I left before he told me what it was after 12!! He did tell me they really struggled to cover Saturdays, I wonder why :open_mouth:

BJS :question: :question:

A very large company based near Edinburgh pays £7 ph and takes a hour a day of his drivers!
Same rate on a Saturday to I’ve been told! Disgusting!

selby newcomer:

peak_46:

BJS :question: :question:

McGregor. Think they do SE rates too but don’t know what they are.

Vortexringpiece:

Including me.

(Ps if you need a job…)

Terrible money, do they pay for parking at service’s, if not it’s even worse but has I have seen there are drivers who will do it.