Longs of Leeds....again

Hi Guys,

Longs of Leeds.

I’ve had a chat with a member of their office staff whos happy to give me an interview and driving assesment, I’m a new driver to Class 2, but I’ve heard bad things about longs, mainly on here, people saying they wouldn’t touch them ect, but nothing specific saying why?

I’m looking at going to a company if possible rather than an agency, and seen as longs may be willing to give me a shot and let me get some experience is it worth whatever problems may arrise?

Thoughts Please :laughing:

work for them if it suits you,and leave when it dosent…nothing more to it than that…it wont matter what others say,the job is there for you until you don’t want it.just get on with it,never mind what the armchair Vikings say that they would do or not do,its not them thatl be doing it,itl be you.by all means keep your eyes open for a better job,and just do what you need to do to make next weeks wages.

Not the best paying job, not the easiest work, local multidrop isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. But it’ll get you experience and you may find you like that type of work.

Go into it with open eyes and an open mind and take it as it comes.

As you’ve already said, you are a new driver and they are offering you the opportunity to gain experience.

Go for it! Experience is King in this industry. The more you get the more jobs become open to you.

It will be tough going on multi drop pallet work and you won’t get rich but I don’t think anyone on here got a top job when they started driving. i know for sure I didn’t! :smiley:

Good luck and merry crimbo!

As everyone has said … just remember its your licence so it don’t matter what anyone says look after it Don’t be pressured into breaking regs and that goes for any company you work for … and if all drivers thought that way standards would improve all round … Good luck :wink:

agree with the its your license look after it,

the only thing you can do if give Longs ago for yourself, some of those that comment would more then likely do the same if they were in the same position as you… nothing to stop you still applying for other stuff whilst your working at Longs…

You’ll get the usuall suspects on here saying you are stupid doing it as it’s not 38 hours a week for 40 grand a year bollox. Ignore them mate as others have said you are gaining the most important thing in this industry and that’s experience.
After a few month if you show them you are competent and a good worker with a good attendance record then you could ask to be put on say trunking if they do it or tramping.

Stop worrying about Internet bashing as you don’t know the circumstances of the author when they left or got sacked.

People do move alot in transport so don’t be afraid to do the job for 6 months and move on if need be. Your main issue right now is getting experience. I would take it compared to fighting for work on the agency against people with years of experience.

Longs gave me my chance and although I have moved on now the experience I gained has stood me in good stead. I would say go for it, great bunch of lads (drivers) also that are willing to help with any queries or questions. Plenty of multi drop on class 2 especially Pallex which is hard work. Money not the best but you will always get the hours so not all bad. PM me if you would like any other info on what to expect.

Thanks for the advice guys, what have I got to loose eh, just need my license and CPC card back now

tommyboy1289:
Thanks for the advice guys, what have I got to loose eh, just need my license and CPC card back now

Hi, First Merry Christmas to all, I dont post on here a lot as you can see. I guess i am like many on here,an old timer and done most things and done both uk and european,when i started ,it was easy,once someone gave me a chance.ie set of keys
can you drive that, and of you went and learnt as you went on. If someone offers you a job take it,make your own way and do things in your own time . I have never worked for Longs,but surly they cant be any worse than most.As been said on here
before, i have taken on board what has been said on here,and yes , because of what has been said or not said lt may make you think, im not going there. You just have to think what is best for you. If you dont like it look for something else.
But if you dont you wont know what a good opportunity YOU and YOU alone may have missed… Sorry for going on but it is
Christmas and iv had a few… Anyway good look and Happy new year. Hope all goes well…