Longest legal length for rigid in uk

Does anybody know what the max legal length is for a rigid vehicle without any trailer.

Thanks in advance. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

12 meters.

Nice quick answer.

Many Thanks.

Whats the maximum legal weight?

18 metric tonnes.

32 ton,unless it comes under special types .A rigid can be an 8 wheeler.

1 that can take 18 standard pallets know someone who has just acquired 2

Dave the Renegade:

My mistake I quoted for 2 axles, out of interest what are the usual plated weight limits on the front 2 axles of a 4 axle rigid.

mike68:

Dave the Renegade:

My mistake I quoted for 2 axles, out of interest what are the usual plated weight limits on the front 2 axles of a 4 axle rigid.

about the 6 to 7 ton mark

neil46:
Does anybody know what the max legal length is for a rigid vehicle without any trailer.

42 feet (12 metres)
most of the big removal wagons are this length.

I know some Megabus coaches are 15m, so will trucks soon follow suit?

As posted above. Tri-axle coaches are up to 15M long and with a ski box on the back my mates is 16.5M long. Rear steer helps loads.

mike68:

Dave the Renegade:

Mine is an 8x2 twin wheeled tag axle.

Axle weights are as follows

1. 8500
  2. 8500
  3. 10500
  4. 8500

That totals 36000kg which in itself is not legal, but it allows flexibility in placing the load. As long as the GVW is not more than 32000 and no axle is overloaded it’s fine.

8wheels:

mike68:

Dave the Renegade:

1. 8500
  2. 8500
  3. 10500
  4. 8500

That totals 36000kg which in itself is not legal, but it allows flexibility in placing the load. As long as the GVW is not more than 32000 and no axle is overloaded it’s fine.

plated weights have got zero to do with the legal weights a vehicle can carry.
axle weights as printed on your vehicle plate are for load spread only.
a vehicle plate has never told you the vehicles capacity weight only a design weight.
and just to let you know, 12 years ago i was running around in an 8 legged tipper on 38 ton and i was legal because of the chassis design.

lizard:

8wheels:

mike68:

Dave the Renegade:

1. 8500
  2. 8500
  3. 10500
  4. 8500

a vehicle plate has never told you the vehicles capacity weight only a design weight.
and just to let you know, 12 years ago i was running around in an 8 legged tipper on 38 ton and i was legal because of the chassis design.

:question: :question:

GCR2ERF:

[/quote]
I’m confused by that statement too.

Also note that the load can project 2 metres behind the bed of the truck so long as it has reflectors on it.

mrpj:

GCR2ERF:

I’m confused by that statement too.
[/quote]
if you were to load your truck to weights on your plate then i would be able to weigh 49600kgs which is illegal.
a plate is only a guide to what can be carried on each axle. some of the weight on axle 2 will spread on to axle 3 for instance and so on. its only a guide to help you spread your load. you should know all this as its part of your job to know and its also in the CPC

The point I made was that my maximum axle weights were as follows but it was impossible to load them all to the max as that would be 4t over. I can however be flexible about where and how I place my loads.

You suggested that you were running a tipper at 38t. That’s where the confusion started.

Round here there’s a Cement mixer that runs at 38T on an 8 wheeler - It’s classed as plant and not a HGV which is where the difference lies.

Our 8x4 is the same though, axle weights add up to 36T, max permitted weight is 32T.