Longest ever uk shift

for all the agency and newbies that think its over and above the call to to do a couple of 15 hour shifts in the same week…or even perish the thought of a unplanned night out,in the spirit of belting on and getting the job done,then whose done a better shift than this one that i can remember from years ago…heres my longest uk shift apart from the driving to saudi,or the usual italy/spain 1 hitters that we all know and love… started glasgow to tip dundee,run back empty.swap trailers,run to east end to load…run to sheffield ,swap trailers,run to hackbridge south west london and tip,run across to tilbury and load a empty container,( roped on to the flat as no twistlocks) up to aylesbury and load with rise and shine powder,run to port sunlight ,drop trailer,bounce to sheffield,and lift trailer,run to dumfries and tip,run empty to glasgow.the only sleep was waiting to get loaded or tipped…when i got home i got told,if your needing to go home for a wash,then hurry up ,your late to get loaded for hackbridge again,so apart from making a clean fortune,then i took the hump and jacked jobs. at least it got me away from driving the leyland marathon that i was plagued with…oh to be young and mad for tar again…where did the good old days go…they dont know their born nowadays…saudi and back in guy,220 ■■■■■■■■■■ sleeper,no aircon,no cruise,no heater,passenger door welded shut to get through the psv…running on red stolen from the roadworks,snowed in at shap,getting your finger stuck up a strippers bum at penkridge etc,getting ■■■■■■ at geoff bells in Carlisle and waking up in Dumfries with a tart not knowing how you got there,then seeing the unit parked in the street,mutter mutter waffle waffle .from glasgow it was 3 londons a week,and sometimes a mancs thrown in.no red bull,no proplus,no nothing other than flat to the mat…any other cowboy shift stories going about,or is it just me again? :blush:

I once had to go a whole day without aircon,never again.

I had to take the spare motor today and it smelt like a schoolgirls handbag.

I just defected the air con and got another truck.

xichrisxi:
I once had to go a whole day without aircon,never again.

Pah! That’s nothing.

I had to drive our spare truck last week and the radio didn’t work!

axletramp:

How do you know what a schoolgirls handbag smells like? :open_mouth:

xichrisxi:

axletramp:

I think there’s a word for the act of sniffing a schoolgirls handbag but I can’t bring it to mind. :question:

axletramp:

xichrisxi:

axletramp:

I think there’s a word for the act of sniffing a schoolgirls handbag but I can’t bring it to mind. :question:

It’s called as Snurging, “to Sniff a Lady’s Bicycle Seat”

martinviking:

axletramp:

xichrisxi:

axletramp:

It’s called as Snurging, “to Sniff a Lady’s Bicycle Seat”

That could be it, has anyone got a copy of Roger’s Profanisaurus handy to check?

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…nobody else done a weeks shift in 1 day then?? id have thought there must have been a few old cowboys hiding in here somewhere…imagine lowering the tone of the post to Rodgers smutty innuendos…tsk tsk tsk…whatever next… :neutral_face:

dieseldog999:
for all the agency and newbies that think its over and above the call to to do a couple of 15 hour shifts in the same week…or even perish the thought of a unplanned night out,in the spirit of belting on and getting the job done,then whose done a better shift than this one that i can remember from years ago…heres my longest uk shift apart from the driving to saudi,or the usual italy/spain 1 hitters that we all know and love… started glasgow to tip dundee,run back empty.swap trailers,run to east end to load…run to sheffield ,swap trailers,run to hackbridge south west london and tip,run across to tilbury and load a empty container,( roped on to the flat as no twistlocks) up to aylesbury and load with rise and shine powder,run to port sunlight ,drop trailer,bounce to sheffield,and lift trailer,run to dumfries and tip,run empty to glasgow.the only sleep was waiting to get loaded or tipped…when i got home i got told,if your needing to go home for a wash,then hurry up ,your late to get loaded for hackbridge again,so apart from making a clean fortune,then i took the hump and jacked jobs. at least it got me away from driving the leyland marathon that i was plagued with…oh to be young and mad for tar again…where did the good old days go…they dont know their born nowadays…saudi and back in guy,220 ■■■■■■■■■■ sleeper,no aircon,no cruise,no heater,passenger door welded shut to get through the psv…running on red stolen from the roadworks,snowed in at shap,getting your finger stuck up a strippers bum at penkridge etc,getting ■■■■■■ at geoff bells in Carlisle and waking up in Dumfries with a tart not knowing how you got there,then seeing the unit parked in the street,mutter mutter waffle waffle .from glasgow it was 3 londons a week,and sometimes a mancs thrown in.no red bull,no proplus,no nothing other than flat to the mat…any other cowboy shift stories going about,or is it just me again? :blush:

no, not just you. Pulling the fuse to get to that truckstop with the stripper…
winding the tacho back to show a 9 hour break…
pulling the card in Ebbw Vale steelworks whilst waiting to load, nipping to the social club for a meal and a few pints, back in at 22.00 ish, back into loading bay, load coils, sheet up, get three hours sleep, off to london…

ahhhh happy days… :wink:

dieseldog999:

no, not just you. Pulling the fuse to get to that truckstop with the stripper…
winding the tacho back to show a 9 hour break…
pulling the card in Ebbw Vale steelworks whilst waiting to load, nipping to the social club for a meal and a few pints, back in at 22.00 ish, back into loading bay, load coils, sheet up, get three hours sleep, off to london…

ahhhh happy days… :wink:

only a short one…4amMonday.Lockerbie-Oldham(part unload)-killingholm (rest o load) --Huntington (load wagon +drag)-7am-Cairnryan(sleep on ferry 1hr)Larne round Belfast area unload multi drops :blush: -load at spence Bryson carpets --6pm-Larne -Stranraer(hr sleep on ferry) ----Manchester unload +bed! circa 1985 .must have been kin nuts them days

I remember doing a ‘Ghoster’ when I worked at an engineering company (I used to arrange all the transport)
Worked all day from 8am & we were refitting conveyers in Vauxhall, Luton during shutdown & I got volunteered to drive the wagon (7.5 tonner) from MK to Luton as they finished each section of conveyer over night, I made about 4 journeys altogether, but they seemed to think that breaks were not important, so when I got back after each run I had to make the tea for every one, before setting off again, the only actual rest I had was for about an hour at lunchtime during the day & about 5 minutes whilst I drank my Tea, other than that I worked for about 18 hours solid.
Got home & fell in my Pit about 10.00 the next morning. [emoji99]

dieseldog999:

Luxury. I did all that and I only had a bike with one pedal.

Not that many years ago, running doubled manned on one days agency work, for what is now a subsidiary of Tesco. Set off at 4am, arrived back at base at 2am the next day, total shift length 22 hours… :open_mouth:

Longest shift I ever worked was 27 hours continuous in a non driving role, where we worked through the night to get an urgent order out. From 7am to 10am the next day, with someone nipping out to the chip shop for supplies at 8pm.

dieseldog999:

I think you’re confusing the words “shift” and “sentence”. :wink:

I just literally went ten mins over on a 4.5. You’ll never take me alive coppers!!!

peterm:

dieseldog999:

Luxury. I did all that and I only had a bike with one pedal.

Ay - anwi just aandful o cold gravel fo lunch. :sunglasses:

Back in the good old log book days in a Bedford TK loaded at Felixstowe Monday am, ran up to Dundee, signed off but continued to Aberdeen tipped and ran back to Dundee where it was time to book on again for the run back to F’towe.
Wednesday local to Leicester.
Thursday reloaded for Aberdeen, repeat of paragraph one. Not a bad week as I was paid a %age of trucks earnings.