longer trailers

SMMT says, “A final chance has been given to hauliers and freight companies to take advantage of trialing longer semi-trailers (LST) on the UK roads. The Department for Transport (DfT) has opened up the bidding for the final 400 operator allocations still available, which will take the total number of longer semi-trailers on the road to 1,800”

Can anyone here report on what the trailers are like to use?

Never had a problem with them but most of ours are used for straight trunking runs. I think we are applying for more permits as they want to buy more LST’s
Easier to keep close to corners if you dont have to worry about overhang etc.

Euro:
SMMT says, "A final chance

Can anyone here report on what the trailers are like to use?

you need to ask :question:
on uk congested roads :question:
no one wants them but they are giving operators a FINAL chance :question:

Cause more damage than the IRA!

better than a normal tlr, but a pain in the arse stitching up more straps and longer curtain :smiley:

urban1:
better than a normal tlr, but a pain in the arse stitching up more straps and longer curtain :smiley:

so how is that better :question: you’ve told us the negatives :question: what’s better about it :question:

We’ve got loads of them, prefer them over our normal tandems.

Follow you like a shadow around a corner so you don’t have to worry about cutting it. I also find them easier to reverse, in my previous job we had rear steer which went off the 5th wheel rather than being passive and it helped get you into loads of places you wouldn’t think it would have a chance of fitting!

Also, as ours are all fridges we don’t have to worry about the extra curtain straps haha!

We have them, you have to be aware and not turn to sharply as the swing is massive, they follow you very well and I find them easy to reverse but the damage caused by them and done to them is well above the average.

A good way of christening a driver with a new middle name to identify his or her individual efforts, EG Mick “the wash” Steve “the fence” and Paul taxi I could go on.

I’ve used our 14.6 m LST’s quite a few times for deliveries but mainly the larger type rdc’s and collections with no problems but we’ve not had the 15.6’s at our depot yet. Mind you thé ones we’ve used hold 28 pallets but hardly ever see them full.

Don’t understand why you would have them over a decker unless you wanted one of these longer trailers as a decker.

Considering they reckon there’s 1800 of them I don’t know where they hide them as I never seem to see that many.

andi_cardiff:
We’ve got loads of them, prefer them over our normal tandems.

Follow you like a shadow around a corner so you don’t have to worry about cutting it. I also find them easier to reverse, in my previous job we had rear steer which went off the 5th wheel rather than being passive and it helped get you into loads of places you wouldn’t think it would have a chance of fitting!

Also, as ours are all fridges we don’t have to worry about the extra curtain straps haha!

There’s your answer green456

I’m using these on a regular basis, and touch wood, haven’t hit anything yet. but they all have signs of damage on the rear ends… so obviously there needs to be more awareness of the amount of swing… there is also a small amount of what I can only describe as “droop” at the rear 7 or 8 foot on some of them… I wonder if this will get any worse ?

I’m surprised by these reports of LSTs “following” so well. Do they all have rear wheel steer?

Have a few on my Dashboard. Waving down the Road as if an Alcoholic were on the Wheel.

Euro:
I’m surprised by these reports of LSTs “following” so well. Do they all have rear wheel steer?

Yes a bar sits in the groove of the 5th wheel which controls the rear axle, the more you turn the unit the more the arse end swings out turn nice and steady no problem, give it a handful and expect to ■■■■ things.

had a tosco 15.6 fridge this morning, chap at the shop said oh you will never get that in there, done in a doddle , only thing iam worryed about is that rear swing , it does step out when turning tight, car drivers dont expect it to, so normaly iam very greedy when turning