Longer trailers on the way

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … led-by.htm

44 Tonne Ton:
http://www.roadtransport.com/Articles/2011/10/11/139577/Industry-views-on-longer-semi-trailer-trial-revealed-by.htm

41 were “clearly in favour” (the majority were hauliers, manufacturers, retailers and parcel companies), and 253 were “clearly opposed”

Four hauliers responded: one said they would apply for 300 immediately, while another said they would apply for 500.

Does this come under unfair competition? After all it is what the traffic commissioner is there to stop allegedly.

(Stupid Question) Will all satnavs be recalibrated to cater for all the junctions that they are not compatible with? :open_mouth:

Here is the final consultation and summary of responses in full.

assets.dft.gov.uk/consultations/ … ponses.pdf

Not quiet the “road trains” people have been pushing for !
Think will only really suit the parcel/light load boys n girls .

Wheel Nut:
(Stupid Question) Will all satnavs be recalibrated to cater for all the junctions that they are not compatible with? :open_mouth:

I’m not sure drivers who rely on Sat Nav rather than eyeballs and common sense* will be the right people to be piloting theses juggernauts. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

*Deliberate and gratuitous use of the term ‘common sense’ for Happy Keith and his soap box. :wink:

My company will be frothing at the mouth over this

merc0447:
My company will be frothing at the mouth over this

And mine,theyve already worked out they can get another 2 modules on the arse end of a longer tralier…shame they have just brought 8 new trailers (which will be back off to the bodyshop by the sound of it,we already run with rear steers :confused: )

And when will that cause job losses :question: :unamused:

MisterStrood:

Well for us,every trailer currently carry’s 22 modules,the new length trailers will carry 24,so for every 11 lorries they will save a truck…we currently do appox 80 loads a day…so they will be able to do it with appox 74 loads with the longer trailers :cry: :cry:

The way I read it, the new trailers will have steering rear axles to give better manoeverability. If it goes through it will appease the anti roadtrain brigade I suppose.

So you’ll be getting 51 ft trailers ? … we have 53 ft mostly over here, hooked to 20 ft tractors.
live with it, we have to … and drive through city streets too.

Wheel Nut:

Considering some of the places we have to go with a 60ft combo do you think the planner and his computer will give a toss about another 6ft?

Pat Hasler:
So you’ll be getting 51 ft trailers ? … we have 53 ft mostly over here, hooked to 20 ft tractors.

The ink isn’t dry on the proposal forms and already we have the we’ve had bigger than that in here! jibes.

Stan

our company has ordered 4 new Triaxle SDC curtainsiders,they will be ready end of October

They should have waited i’m pretty sure they would have gone for 30 pallet trailers as we run double deckers on day and night trunk work and ive had inexcess of 50 pallets on the deckers.

Typical! Good for the fat cats and bad for the already hard pressed driver! Funny that we can’t have bigger cabs like longlines to make our life’s that little bit more pleasant but they can have longer trailers so they can make a few extra pound at the cost of people’s jobs. Makes my blood boil!!

However, the pilot is being opposed by Labour with Maria Eagle MP, shadow transport secretary, responding: "Communities up and down the country will be appalled that ministers have given the green light to longer HGVs coming through their towns and villages.

She really does know nothing.

washy jnr:

MisterStrood:

Well for us,every trailer currently carry’s 22 modules,the new length trailers will carry 24,so for every 11 lorries they will save a truck…we currently do appox 80 loads a day…so they will be able to do it with appox 74 loads with the longer trailers :cry: :cry:

Bear in mind that you are saying about standard trailer, but soon they will make DD in that lenght so it will take 4 pallets.
Except if they will ban DD.

Typical ill-informed Labour party MP. Yet another member of the “lets get all the freight onto the railways brigade”. There is a significant amount of freight moved by railway already, although it probably be inproved slightly. In any case the restriction lies with the rail industry and the current amount of extra capacity that it could cope with. And notwithstanding getting a 1,000 tonne, half a mile long train to deliver a couple of pallets of corn flakes to your local Tesco’s on the high street. Well Mrs Maria Eagle MP. If you don’t know what you are talking about then may I suggest you shut up until you do…

Malc44:
Typical ill-informed Labour party MP. Yet another member of the “lets get all the freight onto the railways brigade”. There is a significant amount of freight moved by railway already, although it probably be inproved slightly. In any case the restriction lies with the rail industry and the current amount of extra capacity that it could cope with. And notwithstanding getting a 1,000 tonne, half a mile long train to deliver a couple of pallets of corn flakes to your local Tesco’s on the high street. Well Mrs Maria Eagle MP. If you don’t know what you are talking about then may I suggest you shut up until you do…

But will the price of Corn Flakes on the High Street going to be less?
No :frowning:

Pat Hasler:

and your city streets are like half a mile wide not 20ft wide in places trying to get a 60+ft artic through

Yeah of course I am on the side of the road haulage industry. I have worked in it for a long time as a driver and manager, but I am not blind to the benefits of moving some of it by rail, but before that can happen the rail infastructure needs to be improved anyway. Which ever way you look at it there will alway be a need for trucks. Having ill-informed people like Maria Eagle bleating on about it without fully understanding the complexities of it all doesn’t help the situation.