Longer lorrys

More longer trailers aloud on road

clikhe.re/di9qu

We have some and you really need to be very careful of the tail swing, if I’m turning 90 degrees right I’ll take someone out if they were on the pavement to my left as it’s best part of 5 ft of tail swing .

Was watching a video on YT just yesterday about trials on these longer ones going on in Ireland some years ago… rear wheel steering tri axles.

Well getting more goods on a single truck is one way to tackle the driver shortage! :grimacing:

Media frenzy ‘Deadly HGV’ inspired headlines as per usual :confused:
An extra 4 pallets is a great idea but weights need to go up with it, 48t would be a nice figure…

My last company had one of the biggest allocations of them but my depot wasn’t suitable so I only got to drive them once and I thought they had a truley wild tail swing. And before you Moffat drivers pipe up it was worse than a Moffat!

Our trainers said they caused more damage than the IRA. But the company loved them.

Not a big fan of rear steer I had back when I was driving class 2.

bald bloke:
We have some and you really need to be very careful of the tail swing, if I’m turning 90 degrees right I’ll take someone out if they were on the pavement to my left as it’s best part of 5 ft of tail swing .

Are they using them on store deliveries? I thought they were supposed to be used for trunking and rdc deliveries. Although dhl use them to deliver to Sainsbury’s at Dartford, and they’re a bloody pain and ambient goods in is in the tightest area of the yard

westermant:
Not a big fan of rear steer I had back when I was driving class 2.

We’ve got a couple of rear steer brick trailers, they’re old and a bit ropey but the rear steer is great and a big help when squeezing round housing estates. Never driven a van with it though.

OVLOV JAY:

bald bloke:

Are they using them on store deliveries? I thought they were supposed to be used for trunking and rdc deliveries. Although dhl use them to deliver to Sainsbury’s at Dartford, and they’re a bloody pain and ambient goods in is in the tightest area of the yard

Yeah used for certain stores but we are going down the double decker route more so than the longer trailer route as the powers that be say this will reduce more mileage.

We have had long trailers like forever here in Sweden and i think the work great. I had a couple 4axl and they were 17,5 to 18,5m ish. One that stear at the first and fourth and the other the third and fourth. Needed just a bit more space then your odernery 25,5 drawbar. Ill see if i got some pics of them. If somebody like to see that is…

Danne

Got one at our place. It’s only the 14.6m version though. Don’t see point of all the hassle needed just to carry an extra 2 pallets.

I do prefer pulling the long trailer compared to a 13.6m though. Goes round corners and roundabouts better with the rear steer axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

done quite a lot work with them, motorway driving is fine but you do need to be careful at junctions & roundabouts,
loading bays are the worse if you start to turn before you clear the bays the trailer tail swing will hit the next trailer.
We have quite a lot of battle scar Trailers now.

When you reverse the rear axle locks and boy do those tyres scrub, you think they going to bang if you jacknifing into a space.
Also be careful if you go into the services at night, it can get a bit tight

Instead of longer trailers put another 3feet on the cab, o no thats not worth it no money to be made there , any way them cabs are to big as they are, make the cab smaller get another 2 pallets on, trampers only need day cabs any way

Les shoes, it wasn’t a van it was a dust cart

westermant:
Les shoes, it wasn’t a van it was a dust cart

He was being sizeist !!

caledoniandream:

60t gvw,a plus 1 thats the way to go. If it was made legal in france and Spain its what i’d want be pulling, two loads in one and on the bahns/routes/pistas they’d be fine…

AndrewG:
48t would be a nice figure…

36-38-36 is a better figure but whatever floats your boat I suppose

The-Snowman:

AndrewG:
48t would be a nice figure…

36-38-36 is a better figure but whatever floats your boat I suppose

yeah i agree, 48t would equal one big bird :grimacing: