Long Wait Ahead!

Hi there, after persuasion I’ve decided to go with a training company rather than the self-employed man who taught my dad 12 years ago.

So I’m going with “ucanlgv” training company they’re booking the theory test tomorrow so approx 10-14 days till I can take the test :confused:

Once the theory is done they say approx wait of 4 weeks till I can do 4 days training and practical test on the 5th day (Friday)

And then approx 2 weeks after the practical do the CPC course with them, they will then put me in for interviews and assessment drives with companies that take on new drivers + me (18 years of age) as they have leads with people who sort them/me out

So a long anxious wait :frowning:

Please tell me you haven’t parted with any financial details over the phone.

To me that site looks like a broker.

There is no guarantees that you will receive the training you pay for in the timescale they promise.

If you have paid them then all the best.

If not… I urge you to visit a local training school and take assessments with each.

Totally agree with what Dar says, they smell of “Broker” steer well clear :smiling_imp: Check the recommended trainers for your area on this site :wink:

No no no stay clear it stinks of a broker

I havnt paid yet meant to be confirming 2mo!
They’ve got a good pass rate and comments on google :confused:

Why is it best to stay clear I’m confused.com haha it was a broker I think who rang me as I enquired online there site, one of their centres is only 10 min drive from my house.

Advice needed

You are paying the broker extra money to do something you could do for yourself and I would guess they will ask you for your credit card details over the phone tomorrow. Question for you… Would you buy a car without taking a test drive, from a salesman who rings you up. I know I wouldn’t.

Just to clarify - if they are “brokers” they don’t actually run the courses, they may put you in touch with a course provider and then pay the course provider some of the money that you have handed over - and keep the rest. So aren’t you better off contacting a course provider direct and paying them their fee and doing what you want with the rest of the dosh?

If you’re really unlucky they’ll take your money and then “go bust”.

If you want to carry on with them ask them if they themselves provide the course and employ the instructor and provide the truck. They almost certainly don’t. Go find local HGV providers (start with the list on this forum or ask here for local firms) and find out how much they will charge you. Let us know the difference between the fee you’ve been quoted by ucanlgv and the fee quoted by an independent local company.

Good luck!

Fair enough i agree with you there,
But there’s a leaflet with prices on and even then I haggled them down as
I had other quotes which were more money, not over the phone but I have to go to my bank or online banking to pay them 2mo If I choose them

Ucanlgv have quoted £900 for 5 days course incl. theory test fee, practical test fee, theory online training.

And for £249 the CPC course

The self employed man said £890 for 5 days training £115 for the practical test and I have to sort the theory out myself and CPC he didn’t quote me for that

great93:
Fair enough i agree with you there,
But there’s a leaflet with prices on and even then I haggled them down as
I had other quotes which were more money, not over the phone but I have to go to my bank or online banking to pay them 2mo If I choose them

Ucanlgv have quoted £900 for 5 days course incl. theory test fee, practical test fee, theory online training.

And for £249 the CPC course

The self employed man said £890 for 5 days training £115 for the practical test and I have to sort the theory out myself and CPC he didn’t quote me for that

What you are initially promised and what you actually get can be vastly different, why are you booking with a “training company” that doesn’t even have an address on it’s website :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: . That means, if it does go wrong, how can you do anything about it - answer is you CAN’T because you don’t know where they are :blush: :cry: .

Buyer beware - if it looks too good to be true - it generally is :imp:

i couldnt find any info on them on companys house website and there website has only been active since febuary 2012

Domain name: ucanlgv.co.uk
Registrant: Sebastian Cooper

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant’s address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Agree looks like a broker run a mile from them & go with the guy that taught you dad he has over 12 yr experience & you have 1st hand knowledge of him via you dad

ucanlgv.co.uk/?page_id=8

Smells like a broker if you read all the wrong info on there ( I have only skimmed rad it btw )

ucanlgv, ucan lgv, ucanhgv, ucan hgv, etc are not registered at companies house… either as existing or proposed. What does this suggest■■?

FFS steer well clear.
When did they pop up?
Where are they based?
I have been watching training brokers and this is the first I have heard of them. I have a sneaky suspicion that this MAY be a reincarnation of directlgv Google that!!

NOTE that the 0845 number will cost you to call…

for gawds sake steer well clear , take it from someone who knows how it feels to be conned , before you part with any money see the trainer and lorries first .

DO NOT HAND ANY MONEY OVER UNTIL YOU ARE SURE !!!

please listen to us we`re trying to stop you losing a lot of money !!!

jx

Hi great93

You are about to enter into a massive world of pain. After you pay, yes they will book a theory etc and they will be offering a trainer local to you about half of what you paid them. The trainer will not be happy so he has to cut corners with your training. Cutting corners can be anything from keeping the hands on training to about 2 hours per day to telling you that you are better off with less training time (you will hear the “Hit your peak then go downhill” line)

Please book your own theory test and MOD 2 CPC. Please then call some local trainers and ask to have an assessment drive in their trucks. Then decide.

“then call some local trainers and ask to have an assessment drive in their trucks. Then decide.”

You will hopefully only buy LGV training once in your life. I understand you are excited to get started but this will take weeks or months to complete so another few days won’t make the difference.

I am honestly not trying to change your mind to sell you anything. This is completely free genuine advice from somebody that really does know.

Good luck whatever you decide

I would certainly be very very wary of any business that has this ludicrous use of grammar and poor spelling, it absolutely stinks. (I may be wrong of course)
This is a cut and paste from their website.

There’s never been a better time to get your licence.
Wthousands your skills will be much sought once you have your licence.

With a new career as a HGV Driver here’s some of the benefits you’ll enjoy:

Thousands of job vacancles waiting for you
Enjoy a great career not just a job
Enjoy freedom & flexlbility in your work
Earn £20,000-£30,000 per year when you qualify
Enjoy working in the great outdoors
Don’t need to worry about finding a job ever again
Get qualifications thousands of employers really want
Start your career in just weeks or months it’s your choice
Get out of debit quickly and inprove your life style
Enjoy pensions, Holiday, Medical insurance, Sick pay and other benefits
Longer term, you can …

Creat life long job security and worr free future for you and your family
Choose to retire early and in confort with a secure pension
Earn in excess of £40,000 per year as an experienced driver with the right qualifications
Choose other great road haulage careers such as transport management
Enjoy a stress free job
Be your own boss
Enjoy more free time for leisure and play
Enjoy more free time for

Anyone wanting LGV driver training should go and look at the training centre, the vehicles, chat with the trainers BEFORE parting with money.

The only exception to this is rock solid recommendation.

Here we have yet another example of a broker appearing from no-where. I despair!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Wow I will have to look into it so I’ll try catch him out and ask for an assessment drive or the address of the centre I’d be training in :slight_smile: thanks guys I didn’t notice the silly mistakes

I’m so pleased you’re taking notice. Please let us know how you get on and what the response from him is.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

great93:
Wow I will have to look into it so I’ll try catch him out and ask for an assessment drive or the address of the centre I’d be training in :slight_smile: thanks guys I didn’t notice the silly mistakes

It’s easy to be drawn into the trap.

Visit a number of local training companies - see the vehicles and premises, don’t be conned into parting with any cash before this.

Good luck with it

John