Long Vehicle Plates

Why were these phased out? A customer just asked me and to be honest hadn’t thought about them. Please, no answers citing Thatcher, Brexit and other non interesting/non transport related excuses. I thank you.

The red reflective tape is a cheaper option. This industry loves cheap

OVLOV JAY:

Makes sense, so in that vein why do trucks have silly bits of yellow tape around the cab? Can’t cyclists see these now?

More Ale:
Why were these phased out?

1996, and hate to say it, because we changed from British Standard to yeah, you guessed it EU regs.

More Ale:

OVLOV JAY:

Makes sense, so in that vein why do trucks have silly bits of yellow tape around the cab? Can’t cyclists see these now?

Eu regs

OVLOV JAY:

More Ale:

OVLOV JAY:

Eu regs

After Brexit…

Oops, did it again…

wheelnutt:

OVLOV JAY:

More Ale:

OVLOV JAY:

Eu regs

After Brexit…

Oops, did it again…

Like everything else, it will be brought into British law and possibly discussed at some point in the future, but I won’t be holding my breath

OVLOV JAY:
Like everything else, it will be brought into British law and possibly discussed at some point in the future, but I won’t be holding my breath

Now cue CF and we should be back on Federalists in a post or 2

OVLOV JAY:

I’m not sure it is! Have you seen how much a roll of that costs!

switchlogic:

OVLOV JAY:

Yes but how many trailers can you get out of a roll. The boards are around £12 plus vat a trailer, but a 12.5 metre roll of tape will cover 4 trailers for £35 plus vat

Why does Ireland & Portugal still use ‘Long Vehicle’ plates if the decision to do away with these was based on a EU ruling ■■

Geoffo:
Why does Ireland & Portugal still use ‘Long Vehicle’ plates if the decision to do away with these was based on a EU ruling ■■

There’s nothing to say you can’t use them anymore. The legislation covered the new reflective markings. You can use lv boards still, as long as the trailer markings conform to legislation, but if you’re a trailer manufacturer making 10000 trailers a year, why spend an extra 100000 if you’ve already put reflective tape on there

I reckon a valid point is that most members of the driving public don’t know how long the word long actually means and to them a transit van is long.

So what’s the point in the long vehicle plates if it means nothing to most that see it?

The red or yellow tape also gives an indication of the height and width and design (I.e tankers are round (ish))

Dunno exactly why it changed though

Doesnt seem a good move to me. As said Portugal had plates similar to UK ones except marked "VEICULO LONGO", Spain similar without words, France had red plates. Seem to remember Italy had plates similar to the Spanish ones? Think were all the same now with narrow tape.
Anyway, the old plates are easy enough to clean. Who is going to climb a step ladder on an icy surface to clean reflective tape around the top edge of a door this winter?? If it`s not clean is it any use? If not clean is it a bust? Madness.

OVLOV JAY:

switchlogic:

OVLOV JAY:

Yes but how many trailers can you get out of a roll. The boards are around £12 plus vat a trailer, but a 12.5 metre roll of tape will cover 4 trailers for £35 plus vat

And which lasts the longest? Suddenly the extra £13 for 4 trailers running boards looks far better value.

All irrelevant anyway as trailers come with stickers or boards on new.

OVLOV JAY:

switchlogic:

OVLOV JAY:

That’s the top price charged by Hgv direct for a 12 m roll at 50mm ,I buy it from direct products in clitheroe £12 for 10 m roll .