Long term agency vs direct employment?

I guess this would best be asked in the Newbie section as it may be useful to others starting out…

I’ve been lucky, since passing my tests (class 2 dec '10 / class 1 aug '11) I’ve worked for two companies. The first one was recruited directly by the firm (with a 3 month probation period), the second was through an agency on temp to perm. So I worked for 3 months and got payed by the agency and then employed directly by the company (after I’d “proved myself” during the previous 3 months).

I’m now looking to apply to work for DHL at B&Q ( DHL handle B&Q’s transport for them) but this would be through an agency as “ongoing”… i.e not temp to perm, only ever working for the agency. Is this common practice within the industry?

Thanks for any insight, Nezza

It’s not uncommon and is better than it used to be as you now have employment rights - eg holiday and sick pay. But you can be dropped like a stone.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

True, but then my current employer could drop me with only a weeks notice!

A weeks notice is better than 9 o clock the night before done agency like everyone else but direct with an employer is much more secure sick/holiday pay and join a union just in case.