Long shot but worth a try

Good afternoon guys

As you may see from previous posts I recently passed class 1 just last month (class 2 a year ago). I have taken the advice on here and tramped round haulage yards locally trying to get someone to take chance, to no avail as yet!! Just wondering if any off you guys could point me in the direction of anyone within the central belt in scotland (I’m in Livingston).

Tried an agency at beginning of week also only to be told “they would not be confident in placing me in anything bigger than 7.5t to see how I go”. How they know how people drive is beyond me? They did call this morning to ask if I could go to a company to drive their transit? I politely declined their offer.

So, in a nutshell if anyone knows of anything or anyone then I would be much obliged.

Cheers again

Have you been to all the places in Livingston as you know there are quite a few not just haulage firms anything that has a vehicle as if you on road you do hear & may be able to speak to the right person easer

Oh to drive a sprinter for a few days have offered to drive ours & only been passed my CE 18 mth mind have been driving them most of that time

I would have gone for it ( although I wont do multi drop ) as never done it in nearly 20 yr of driving yep I started on the small vans worked up would make a nice change not to have limiters rules for breaks ( take when you want

If the money is ok then does it really matter what you drive?

I don’t mind starting on 7.5t if the companies involved do have class 2 and 1 with a view to proving myself and moving up to them through time. I don’t expect to walk into a cushy job as I know this is not the way it works.

The agency job that offered on the transit was payed at £6.95 an hour (which I thought was a bit harsh)

On a brighter note, one of the companies who I know do give newbies a chance has contacted me this morning and asked me to go in for an assessment drive in Monday and a interview. Job is trunking mon-fri nightshift so fingers crossed something may come of that.

ROG:

that’s the problem Rog I’m a big hairy arsed trucker with a class 1… Start with the transit get the agency’s confidence and this progress …
I cant believe how some people expect to get on without climbing the ladder.
There’s plenty of seasoned drivers in the same boat, I would never let the fact that I hold a CLASS 1 licence hold me from driving a van since that’s where I started 35yrs ago van to 7.5t to artic, as long as I was driving it didn’t matter on size but that’s the problem apparently , SiZE does matter for some today :unamused:

huntertruck:
Good afternoon guys

As you may see from previous posts I recently passed class 1 just last month (class 2 a year ago). I have taken the advice on here and tramped round haulage yards locally trying to get someone to take chance, to no avail as yet!! Just wondering if any off you guys could point me in the direction of anyone within the central belt in scotland (I’m in Livingston).

Tried an agency at beginning of week also only to be told “they would not be confident in placing me in anything bigger than 7.5t to see how I go”. How they know how people drive is beyond me? They did call this morning to ask if I could go to a company to drive their transit? I politely declined their offer.

So, in a nutshell if anyone knows of anything or anyone then I would be much obliged.

Cheers again

There was someone on here that was saying about a Tesco RDC in Livingston… I assume you’ve been driving class 2 since you passed? That may help if you speak to them.

nick2008:

ROG:

that’s the problem Rog I’m a big hairy arsed trucker with a class 1… Start with the transit get the agency’s confidence and this progress …
There’s plenty of seasoned drivers in the same boat, I would never let the fact that I hold a CLASS 1 licence hold me from driving a van since that’s where I started 35yrs ago van to 7.5t to artic, as long as I was driving it didn’t matter on size but that’s the problem apparently , SiZE does matter for some today :unamused:

I don’t expect to “get on without climbing the ladder” but what I thought was a tad unfair on the agency side was they wanted me to go to a job on the transit (when I have been driving 7.5t for years then class 2 since I passed my test last year. The company I am with do not do class 1 (hence the reason I thought I would approach agencies who had advertised class 1 with no experience required). To then be told they would not have the confidence to send me out in class 2 seemed to be a tad offhand. Then to offer a transit job at the above money did not sit well. I already stated I don’t expect to get into a cushy number and their is thousands more experienced than me. I am under no illusions in that sense.

Thanks greeny3, I did enquire with them also, you have to go through agency (monarch) and take it from their. I have already started that process. Thanks for the input tho

huntertruck:

nick2008:

ROG:

(when I have been driving 7.5t for years then class 2 since I passed my test last year. The company I am with do not do class 1 (hence the reason I thought I would approach agencies who had advertised class 1 with no experience required). I am under no illusions in that sense.

see that to me makes a difference now and you have even more respect. the agency may just be testing the water with you to see how flexible etc you are . an agency I worked for placed me on a class 2 job even though I had 30yrs class 1 as I would do most jobs as said driving is just driving regardless of size got to the company and in talking they realised I had years of W&D with drop boxes experience too , the boss was wanting to sign me up full time there and then.
I didn’t take it as I was not interested I just took the job to help out the agency which gave me better jobs down the line.
Good luck to you fella…

nick2008:

huntertruck:

nick2008:

ROG:

(when I have been driving 7.5t for years then class 2 since I passed my test last year. The company I am with do not do class 1 (hence the reason I thought I would approach agencies who had advertised class 1 with no experience required). I am under no illusions in that sense.

see that to me makes a difference now and you have even more respect. the agency may just be testing the water with you to see how flexible etc you are . an agency I worked for placed me on a class 2 job even though I had 30yrs class 1 as I would do most jobs as said driving is just driving regardless of size got to the company and in talking they realised I had years of W&D with drop boxes experience too , the boss was wanting to sign me up full time there and then.
I didn’t take it as I was not interested I just took the job to help out the agency which gave me better jobs down the line.
Good luck to you fella…

Cheers nick2008, I have no issues with any job (or truck size). If the money is right for me and gets me by then I am happy also. I just felt the agency were taking the pi** a little and when the girl is barely out of school and trying to say she wouldn’t have the confidence for me to drive anything above 7.5t that irked me somewhat. But I will keep trying and I’m sure the break will come.

Nothing is too small to drive. But I always charge it at the class 1 rate.

It’s OK working for a company on small stuff, if they have some bigger vehicles too, and as long as the ££ is OK. but agencies will tell you anything to get you to the company.

£6.95 is a ■■■■ take, don’t do it. You’ll get known for working for beans and struggle to command any more. Stick to your guns. You’ll find something in the end, and at a decent rate. I did, and so have plenty of others.