Long service

Following on from the Gocontinental thread where length of service was mentioned, what is the longest you, or a collegue have remained at one company for?

I stayed at a tanker co for nearly 20 years, and a guy where I’m at now has been a driver there for over 40 years. For the purposes of this thread we’ll count continuous service including company take overs etc.

Nathan, you are excluded from this. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If we’re talking haulage firms/‘logistics companies’ then just under 10 years. By that point I had had a gut full of the industry itself rather than the company in particular.

I left Royal Mail six weeks ago after 35.5 years service

jonnyquango:

Did you leave or retire? There’s lots of long serving staff that work there.

15 years and counting so far, I’m only 30, so I should have another 30 years or so left in me. Can’t wait. :laughing:

m1cks:

jonnyquango:

Did you leave or retire? There’s lots of long serving staff that work there.

I took VR & after today’s news that RM has seen a decline in profits glad that I took that decision. Still only 54 years of age & plenty of life left in me yet. I was one of 1600 managers that exited the door.

muckaway/cotswoldcrunch/nathan… :laughing:

transport seems to be the type of industry where its the norm for folk to jump ship every few years. The place I’m at now (factory based) has thousands with 30+ years service.

I’ve done 11 years,started when I was 21 at the company.

10 years last job 1 year this one and I am looking at jumping ship

Will be 20 years next March and is the longest I’ve stayed anywhere and will probably be the last regular job I have.
Jim

Was 10 years with last employer, been a year with current employer

There was a Spanish owner driver knocking about over Europe.
He had an old unit and old trailer.
Written on the back of the trailer was “Combined age of driver and truck 120 years.”
Always made me chuckle that.He looked young for his age,spoke fluent English.
Blue unit and white fridge trailer.He must have been in his late 60’s.

10 years Paul Martin tpt

One of ours has 27yrs.I’m on 14yrs this month.Time flys thats for sure.

Got made redundant last month from the yellow perils been there 37yrs :open_mouth:

One chap where i work has been with the company 30 years.
He says without no thanks :cry:
He has had three brand new trucks in three years and a new trailer coming for him :sunglasses:
I say swing and roundabouts :laughing:

18 years and happy!

gickniff:
18 years and happy!

has Pedlar retired now Nick?

Trev_H:
Got made redundant last month from the yellow perils been there 37yrs :open_mouth:

It wasn’t as grim as 37 yrs on one job though, every 5-10 yrs I’ve been on different jobs, it that time I’ve been on tippers,tanks,containers, flats and tautliners in various locations. Never made a fortune but I paid for my house and don’t owe anybody anything.
Having a few months off now to figure out what I want to do next or not :laughing:

Been with my current employer for nine years now, longest I’ve been in any job. Dead mens’ shoes at our place though, one of my fellow drivers has done over 30 years and a couple more over 25.

Just hope it stays that way till I retire.