Long load help

Hi, I’m after some advice. We been asked if we are able to move some 18m Long concrete beams, there not that heavy only 9T a load. Will these require a movement order? Any advice would be greatly appreciated before we take the job on.

gov.uk/esdal-and-abnormal-loads

james90:
Hi, I’m after some advice. We been asked if we are able to move some 18m Long concrete beams, there not that heavy only 9T a load. Will these require a movement order? Any advice would be greatly appreciated before we take the job on.

Start here:
and (probably) here
gov.uk/government/publicati … ging-loads

Got a trombone trailer? Using dollies?
If the beams are structural over hang probably won`t be a problem, but for some goods there are issues.

SNAP!

Exceeding 3.05 metres off the rear: Two clear working days notice to Police (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 1), Attendant required (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 2), Marker boards required (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 3

So if you have an extendable flatbed open it slightly to get the overhang down as at 18m assuming your bed is roughly 13.5m you have roughly 1.5m length to loose.

Rikki_UK will probably be able to give you give you accurate advice up to date advice, but in the meantime, if the beams are 18 metres by their selves then you’ll comfortably exceed the 18.65m threshold level for the vehicle length shown in this link
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … p_2015.pdf

Franglais:

james90:

Start here:
and (probably) here
gov.uk/government/publicati … ging-loads

Got a trombone trailer? Using dollies?
If the beams are structural over hang probably won`t be a problem, but for some goods there are issues.

It would just be a standard 13.6m extending flat trailer

mrginge:
Exceeding 3.05 metres off the rear: Two clear working days notice to Police (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 1), Attendant required (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 2), Marker boards required (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 3

So if you have an extendable flatbed open it slightly to get the overhang down as at 18m assuming your bed is roughly 13.5m you have roughly 1.5m length to loose.

Yea it would just be a standard extending 13.6m trailer, I’ve had a quick read of the C&U but keeps referring to rigid length which i assumed meant overall? But I’m unsure

james90:

mrginge:

Yea it would just be a standard extending 13.6m trailer, I’ve had a quick read of the C&U but keeps referring to rigid length which i assumed meant overall? But I’m unsure

You can go to 18.65 metres “Load length” as long as your rear overhang is under 3.05 metres you can run under C&U a normal 45-60 foot extender will be fine- no need for a movement order or an STGO vehicle

mrginge:
Transporting abnormal loads: Abnormal loads - GOV.UK

Why isn’t there a height limit that would be abnormal?

stu675:

mrginge:
Transporting abnormal loads: Abnormal loads - GOV.UK

Why isn’t there a height limit that would be abnormal?

There isnt a defined height limit under the rules, however anything over 16’6’’ is deemed too high for motorways and trunk roads unless on one of the designated high load routes ’ If using the high load routes a movement order is needed and normally a Police ■■■■■■ as many routes take you wrong side of dual carriageways/roundabouts e/one way systems etc

Rikki-UK:

james90:

mrginge:

You can go to 18.65 metres “Load length” as long as your rear overhang is under 3.05 metres you can run under C&U a normal 45-60 foot extender will be fine- no need for a movement order or an STGO vehicle

Thankyou for your help :smiley: