"Long Distance Van Drivers"

Seen a couple of these type of jobs advertised lately.

Anyone actually know what they are all about? They advertise “nights away”…is this kipping in the van or do they actually provide accommodation?

Just been made redundant so need something to get me through Xmas.

Advertised where? I can’t find anything.

bigvern1:

He ain’t going to tell you, well not until he’s sorted a job first, :laughing:

The vast majority will expect you to sleep across the seats.

bigvern1:

Me neither ?

There doesn’t seem to be much work for “Long distance” van drivers. I’m not in competition. Just wondered where these jobs are advertised. :wink:

Local paper is where i have seen the latest.

There were a couple on the Jobcentre website a while back as well.

Depends on the company, van drivers at our place are put up in hotels when they need to night out.
We’re talking Travelodge rather than Hilton, but a lot better than kipping across the seats.

I’m not “skint” skint, just looking for more of what I’m used to. Can’t do local crap and I hate doing the UK. Not unemployed and signing on either. :wink:

bigvern1:
There doesn’t seem to be much work for “Long distance” van drivers. I’m not in competition. Just wondered where these jobs are advertised. :wink:

We are all in competition, it’s how the powerful keep us down, we need to rise up and take control.
The pheasants are revolting, we should join them and shoot our knobs.

I think “pheasants” are delicious actually! :laughing:

Glad you didn’t say knobs BV

Me too… :laughing:

I havnt seen any here…jack all 7.5 tonne distance work either.

There is a company in Birmingham that advertise these jobs regularly, i looked into it a few months ago as i was interested, it is running between Coventry and Scotland in a Merc Sprinter.

You have to lease the van through them at around £250 per week and you are expected to do approx 5 nights minimum.

You collect the excess parcels out of Cov and run to Scotland through the night delivering around 5 am, then wait untill the evening and run back to Cov, you get a fuel card but have to pay for the fuel and you have to pay for maintenance of the van etc.

To make it pay you need to do 6 nights a week and you would earn approx £650 but as your self employed you also have to pay your own tax etc.

The contract is terrible for the driver, you have to give 2 months notice for any time off, then it is without pay but you still have to pay for the van lease etc, if you leave you have to give a full month notice and you still have to pay for the van lease untill they find a replacement driver.

As you would expect staff turnover is very high, not something that i personally was interested in in the end but some might like it.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

I wonder what nice people run a company like that ? sounds like exploitation of desperate drivers…or take the ■■■■ to reap the rewards.

My mate Glen went for that. He said you pay for your own fuel too. I was supposed to go for an interview with him on the same day. But I was ill.

There’s a courier company who’s name I’ve forgotten that run only at night out of somehwere in Bham. They expect you to drive four hours plus without a break. I often see them parked up in laybys for the night. Looks very, very unapealing

Night trunk

madguy:
There is a company in Birmingham that advertise these jobs regularly, i looked into it a few months ago as i was interested, it is running between Coventry and Scotland in a Merc Sprinter.

You have to lease the van through them at around £250 per week and you are expected to do approx 5 nights minimum.

You collect the excess parcels out of Cov and run to Scotland through the night delivering around 5 am, then wait untill the evening and run back to Cov, you get a fuel card but have to pay for the fuel and you have to pay for maintenance of the van etc.

To make it pay you need to do 6 nights a week and you would earn approx £650 but as your self employed you also have to pay your own tax etc.

The contract is terrible for the driver, you have to give 2 months notice for any time off, then it is without pay but you still have to pay for the van lease etc, if you leave you have to give a full month notice and you still have to pay for the van lease untill they find a replacement driver.

As you would expect staff turnover is very high, not something that i personally was interested in in the end but some might like it.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

Do you have to pay your own wage as well? :laughing: