Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

roolechat:

roolechat:

DISPATCHER:
Hi John

The same lay by looking north from Hockley T/Ls

Looking north from Hockley in 1976,The slip rd for the B3354 towareds Twyford is under construction

Never knew that Ford Serria’s where around in 76 :question:

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

I always liked that charming practice of showing exotic destinations on the drop-side boards of tilts in the '70s. Some were even lined-out!

:smiley:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Hi John,

Hope you and The Boss are keeping well, can’t see the drivers face as the mirror is blocking it, looks like he has a long sleeved white shirt on so I’m wondering if it’s a Spartrucks salesman doing some publicity shots, or someone from the office ? It’s not Big Derek off Rawlings who always wore a white shirt.

I’ll make some enquiries and get back to you, and waive my usual fees fo old times sake. :smiley: :smiley:

Kind Regards
Richard

Am I right in thinking that there was some connection between Mammoth International and Hoveringham Gravels in Notts? HGs logo was a mammoth. :confused:

Spardo:
Am I right in thinking that there was some connection between Mammoth International and Hoveringham Gravels in Notts? HGs logo was a mammoth. :confused:

David IIRC they bought the right to that logo from Mr Ward for an undisclosed sum, someone will know, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Spardo:

David IIRC they bought the right to that logo from Mr Ward for an undisclosed sum, someone will know, Buzzer

Thank you John, I had an idea in the back of my head that they took over Hoveringham, just to get the logo even though it seemed strange that an international haulier would pay money for an E. Midlands gravel pit. :smiley:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

Spardo:

Thank you John, I had an idea in the back of my head that they took over Hoveringham, just to get the logo even though it seemed strange that an international haulier would pay money for an E. Midlands gravel pit. :smiley:

No no no wrong way round mate, John Ward who ran Mammoth transport sold the logo to Hoveringham, at least that is the way I think it was, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

Spardo:

No no no wrong way round mate, John Ward who ran Mammoth transport sold the logo to Hoveringham, at least that is the way I think it was, Buzzer

Seems a bit strange though, I remember Hoveringham lorries when I was a kid with the Mammoth on them, I’m talking 70 odd years ago. :open_mouth: The story was that a mammoth had been found in the dredgings. Could be a dodgy memory though, no stranger to me these days. :frowning:

Spardo have sent you a PM , Buzzer

My hard earned continental crust on it being Pete “Pint Size” Clue in the driving seat…

Spardo:

[/quote]
Seems a bit strange though, I remember Hoveringham lorries when I was a kid with the Mammoth on them, I’m talking 70 odd years ago. :open_mouth: The story was that a mammoth had been found in the dredgings. Could be a dodgy memory though, no stranger to me these days. :frowning:
[/quote]
Yes a Mammoth skeleton was found in one of the pits, I don’t think it was the one actually in Hoveringham village though? Of course Mammoth transport also carted out of Dene quarry at Cromford with powder tankers. Anyway the Mammoth sculpture has been reinstated. creaghconcrete.co.uk/news/2 … am-mammoth

Pete.

windrush:

Spardo:

[/quote]
Yes a Mammoth skeleton was found in one of the pits, I don’t think it was the one actually in Hoveringham village though? Of course Mammoth transport also carted out of Dene quarry at Cromford with powder tankers. Anyway the Mammoth sculpture has been reinstated. creaghconcrete.co.uk/news/2 … am-mammoth

Pete.
[/quote]
Hoveringham started in 1965, Pete? That’s what the link says. Just shows what tricks memory plays as we age, by then I was on the other side of the world but was convinced I had seen those bright orange lorries as a kid. Nice to see those pictures though, They were very fond of their Fodens but they did have other makes, my memory tells me that Michelotti Scammells featured as well, so it can’t be true, can it? :laughing:

With the disappearance of “Mammoth Transport” name from Southampton…was this when John Ward was requested to “stay out” of transport for 5 years so as not to trade on the Mammoth name in competition?
Louis Bull continued the Mammoth international work with Don Morris organising the traffic. I would bet John Ward funded that too. Louis Bull had no money, just his house in Chandlers Ford IIRC. Louis Bull, as me and Elkie know, we got hammered…its funny how LB run out of money after 5 years of trading and guess who came to the rescue with a new business venture, doing all the same work? Yes you guessed it JW himself. The birth of Bulldog International.
I know Wardy was absent for a while but was behind a company called “Dockside Haulage” or similar, doing tractors from Basildon to Southampton and it just happened to be Don Morris organising the transport for Van Ommeron.
Dockside had at least one Scania wagon and drag in green (Van Ommeron colours but no writing).
PMP came on the scene after Bulldog.
My West Wellow legal dept. will probably fill in the gaps or even add dates to the above proceedings.

Spardo Hoveringham were in business long before 1965, I knew lads who worked for them just after WW2 and drove Bedfords fitted with George Neville tilt cabs in the fifties. Needlers, the confectionery company from Hull, owned it until they were taken over by Tarmac. One of my neighbours drove for them out of Dene quarry, Cromford, and several lads who later drove for Tilcon had previously worked for them including my last gaffer.

A Hoveringham thread here- trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 35&t=44142

Pete.

gazzer:
With the disappearance of “Mammoth Transport” name from Southampton…was this when John Ward was requested to “stay out” of transport for 5 years so as not to trade on the Mammoth name in competition?
Louis Bull continued the Mammoth international work with Don Morris organising the traffic. I would bet John Ward funded that too. Louis Bull had no money, just his house in Chandlers Ford IIRC. Louis Bull, as me and Elkie know, we got hammered…its funny how LB run out of money after 5 years of trading and guess who came to the rescue with a new business venture, doing all the same work? Yes you guessed it JW himself. The birth of Bulldog International.
I know Wardy was absent for a while but was behind a company called “Dockside Haulage” or similar, doing tractors from Basildon to Southampton and it just happened to be Don Morris organising the transport for Van Ommeron.
Dockside had at least one Scania wagon and drag in green (Van Ommeron colours but no writing).
My West Wellow legal dept. will probably fill in the gaps or even add dates to the above proceedings.

You missed out the John Buckley involvement Gazzer, JD

Buckfast Transfer (John Buckley) was a sideline Buzzer. Not sure if JW had any financial influence there, it wouldn’t surprise me if there wasn’t.

windrush:
Spardo Hoveringham were in business long before 1965, I knew lads who worked for them just after WW2 and drove Bedfords fitted with George Neville tilt cabs in the fifties. Needlers, the confectionery company from Hull, owned it until they were taken over by Tarmac. One of my neighbours drove for them out of Dene quarry, Cromford, and several lads who later drove for Tilcon had previously worked for them including my last gaffer.

A Hoveringham thread here- trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 35&t=44142

Pete.

That’s a relief Pete, so I wasn’t imagining those orange lorries when I was a lad in the 50s. :smiley:

gazzer:

Dockside haulage (2).PNG
One of Dockside Freight 'Services at Fleet Services en route empty no doubt to Basildon to collect tractors for delivery to Wallenius Wilhelmsen’s Eastern Dock terminal

Pompey registered Maggie probably supplied by Pitters