Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Badger:

Horry:

Buzzer:

gazzer:
I never knew Prince’s were a Dodge Distributor…prior to shifting to Tilbury’s I 'spose.

That Mandator of R A Lane I always assumed was summat to do with Ken Lane…but then maybe not!

Think your right with Ken Lane before Spring Road days of course, he is the one who sold Ron Griffith the STS 1 number plate IIRC which he had on several Porsch cars.

LTS at our old Yard Andersons Road, there were always a couple of Wim Vos parked in there, I think that was all it was though, just parking. Whether or not it was local lads, or they had an operating centre in Andersons Road. Taylor Barnyard also used to park in there.

Harry LTS had about 5 on contract but Roole hat will confirm

Always stood out, thanks to their distinctive Livery. I can remember Jon Symes has a Wim Vos Bomber Jacket, same colour as the Trucks :smiley:

Buzzer:

gazzer:
I never knew Prince’s were a Dodge Distributor…prior to shifting to Tilbury’s I 'spose.

That Mandator of R A Lane I always assumed was summat to do with Ken Lane…but then maybe not!

LTS Voss A737 RBK.PNG

A737RBK was one of 5 F10’s which LTS Freight placed on Wim Voss contract in 1983 (interestingly it’s carrying a Voss sheeted flat.not a tank).
In 1985,the F10’s were replaced on the Voss contract by FL10s & the F10s were repainted in LTS Freight livery & joined the general fleet.

Greatbridge Road Romsey 1991
TomAndrews wrecker in attendance

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Cornick HCR.PNG
H.Cornick & Sons were established in 1899. During nationalisation(1948/54),they were restricted to operating 8 ‘B’ licenced vehicles carrying “Solid fuels,granite,Building Materials & Public works goods within 30 miles Southampton Civic Centre”.This involved daily hire for George Wimpey who were constructing the Fawley refinery,loading timber from the Baltic timber boats at the Town Quay (mainly for Montague L Meyer) & transporting breeze blocks for The Blokcrete Co Ltd.
HCR 338 entered service with Cornicks in July/Aug 1950.It worked mainly for Blokcrete out of Blokcrete’s Mount Pleasant Wharf,Northam (adjacent to the Mount Pleasant level crossing) transporting at least 2 loads a day to building sites - all hand ball on & off.

HCR 338 was a petrol engined Dodge Kew 105 with a nominal 5 t payload but Blokcrete’s loads were often in excess of that.After 2 years & 30000 miles, Munn & Underwood,the supplying dealer,sent the vehicle to George Neville,Mansfield for the fitment of a Meadows oil engine The average fuel consumption improved from 12 to nearly 19 mpg!

The Meadows oil engine (Oil engines ran on diesal & at some point in the 50’s the term ‘Oil engine’ was replaced by the term ‘diesal engine’) developed 73 bhp & coupled to it’s 4 speed box,the Dodge must have been hard work for the driver especially when carrying up to 8t of blocks.

The comparable production line oil engined Dodge in 1951 offered 108 bhp & a 5 speed box with optional overdrive .That would have made the driver’s life a little easier!

roolechat:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

H.Cornick & Sons were established in 1899. During nationalisation(1948/54),they were restricted to operating 8 ‘B’ licenced vehicles carrying “Solid fuels,granite,Building Materials & Public works goods within 30 miles Southampton Civic Centre”.This involved daily hire for George Wimpey who were constructing the Fawley refinery,loading timber from the Baltic timber boats at the Town Quay (mainly for Montague L Meyer) & transporting breeze blocks for The Blokcrete Co Ltd.
HCR 338 entered service with Cornicks in July/Aug 1950.It worked mainly for Blokcrete out of Blokcrete’s Mount Pleasant Wharf,Northam (adjacent to the Mount Pleasant level crossing) transporting at least 2 loads a day to building sites - all hand ball on & off.
HCR 338 was a petrol engined Dodge Kew 105 with a nominal 5 t payload but Blokcrete’s loads were often in excess of that.After 2 years & 30000 miles, Munn & Underwood,the supplying dealer,sent the vehicle to George Neville,Mansfield for the fitment of a Meadows oil engine The average fuel consumption improved from 12 to nearly 19 mpg!
The Meadows oil engine (Oil engines ran on diesal & at some point in the 50’s the term ‘Oil engine’ was replaced by the term ‘diesal engine’) developed 73 bhp & coupled to it’s 4 speed box,the Dodge must have been hard work for the driver especially when carrying up to 8t of blocks.
The comparable production line oil engined Dodge in 1951 offered 108 bhp & a 5 speed box with optional overdrive .That would have made the driver’s life a little easier!

Very good resume as normal, thanks for the info RC, cheers Buzzer

Pffft: That would figure Horrie, put it in the Mrs. name…

Buzzer: There was a company called Baker Downer, so there is the link. When i first shipped out for Eric, we “borrowed” the odd permit, they were in the name of B&D (Overseas) Ltd. Make of that what you will! IIRC Pat Scorey’s (Scorey with a P) MAN had a B&D “O” Licence in the window.

gazzer:
Pffft: That would figure Horrie, put it in the Mrs. name…

Buzzer: There was a company called Baker Downer, so there is the link. When i first shipped out for Eric, we “borrowed” the odd permit, they were in the name of B&D (Overseas) Ltd. Make of that what you will! IIRC Pat Scorey’s (Scorey with a P) MAN had a B&D “O” Licence in the window.

B& D (Overseas)Ltd was a Company involving Bakers Transport & Dundee Perth & London Shipping Co (who date from 1826).B&D ‘used’ DP&L’s office in Havelock Chambers ,
Queens Terrace.

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Downers.PNG
No,but yes !
Downers date back to 1913,when they opened an office in Queens Terrace. In 1916,they had a depot in Lower Canal Walk & in 1925 a depository in Regents Park Road

Downer Ass D (2).jpg
The 1927 Ass Daimler is signwritten with a Holborn telephone No,but in 1925,Goldhawk Rd,Shepherds Bush was Downer’s London office & depot. The 1933 AEC Mammoth Major Mk1 6 wheelers in the first photograph are signwritten with a Bermondsey telephone no . The bonneted AEC is a Mercury.
From the mid 30’s onwards,Downer’s oil engined fleet developed a comprehensive network with offices in London & Birmingham & offering services throughout the UK.
In 1948 they were nationalised,Regents Park becoming British Road Services general haulage depot 22F & Lower Canal Walk becoming BRS (Meat Haulage) So’ton depot

Baker’s history has I believe,already been covered on this forum but briefly, In 1916,George Baker & Sons started as a steam haulage contractor from Elm Street in Northam & by 1920 had moved to Transit House,Hampton Park Farm,Portswood Rd. By 1925,not only had they become a motor haulage contractor,but also a concrete ,ballast & gravel merchant( Test River ballast Ltd,which probably was based at Nursling)
George Baker & Sons Ltd were nationalised in 1948 & Hampton Park became BRS depot 22F (2A from 1957)

Bakers & Downers were both nationalised in 1948, but operators such as Downer Baker & W.J Hill appeared offering furniture removals & transport 'throughout the world
Downer Baker operated at least 3 vehicles from their depository in St Mary’s till at least 1960

Bakers 6 dials.PNG

gazzer:

Hi Gazzer and yes Ken Lane bought that AEC with a V8 from Princes at Millbrook. He was then running his company under his first wifes name and that was Rose Anne Lane. This truck was plagued with problems from the day of purchase and in one instance he arrived at Princes with a gallon of petrol and was seriously going to set fire to it on the forecourt.
Me and Ken were having a bender in some pub at the bottom of town one night 'cause he told me that it was on the way back form Italy on the back (not the front!) of a low loader, broken down again. After many Bicardi’s I offered to buy it from him for £2,000. The deal was done on the back of a B & H ■■■ packet. He rang me up the next morning and said that I did not have to stick to the deal but I insisted.
I ran the truck for three or four years and all that went wrong with it was a broken fan belt. In that time it had 2 drivers, one was my brother-in-law Gordon Glasspool ex. Pitters and Ken ■■■■. I am sure that I have told this story on here before but cant be bothered to look.
Regards Nobby.

TIR Original:

gazzer:

Hi Gazzer and yes Ken Lane bought that AEC with a V8 from Princes at Millbrook. He was then running his company under his first wifes name and that was Rose Anne Lane. This truck was plagued with problems from the day of purchase and in one instance he arrived at Princes with a gallon of petrol and was seriously going to set fire to it on the forecourt.
Me and Ken were having a bender in some pub at the bottom of town one night 'cause he told me that it was on the way back form Italy on the back (not the front!) of a low loader, broken down again. After many Bicardi’s I offered to buy it from him for £2,000. The deal was done on the back of a B & H ■■■ packet. He rang me up the next morning and said that I did not have to stick to the deal but I insisted.
I ran the truck for three or four years and all that went wrong with it was a broken fan belt. In that time it had 2 drivers, one was my brother-in-law Gordon Glasspool ex. Pitters and Ken ■■■■. I am sure that I have told this story on here before but cant be bothered to look.
Regards Nobby.

Hi Nobby you mention your brother in law name of Glasspool, did he hail from North Baddesley only I bought an F88 of a man with the same name, he parked it behind the hardware shop pictured, cheers Buzzer

TIR original

Ken ■■■■ did he drive for Hill’s at one time name rings a bell ? ?

Buzzer:

TIR Original:

gazzer:

Regards Nobby.

Hi Nobby you mention your brother in law name of Glasspool, did he hail from North Baddesley only I bought an F88 of a man with the same name, he parked it behind the hardware shop pictured, cheers Buzzer

John
That was Colin Glasspool from Baddesley, it was my first trip abroad in that F88 with Colin dropped a trl in Foz sur mer then reloaded apples in peyrolles for the old spitalsfield market, Colin if he’s still about was in a wheelchair haven’t seen him for a couple of years, his son eugene was on here but not for a while
Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger the number of that F88 was XBF500M and while checking my files I found there were some tacho’s missing from about the time you drove it, would you still have them ? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer
[/quote]

Sparshatts Totton advert from 1962.

Hiding in the back of the photo…

Buzzer

gazzer:
Hiding in the back of the photo…

DRY  629T.PNG
is Martin Wright’s DRY 629T.Originally with a 6m tilt body. It was later stripped to a flat &, IIRC, twistlocks were fitted.