Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer

Please be advised of the passing of Robert “Nunkey” Newman. A great character of the euro transport scene 70/80/90’s.
Supplying traction to STS, AS Rawling and his own work.
Nunkey a very knowledgeable and extremely helpful chap.
RIP Nunkey.

Hi all, yes indeed Bob was a very nice chap will be sadly missed i am sure. RIP Mr Newman. Condolences to all his family.

SCAC day early 80’s. Buzzer

UCC had a place on Boyatt Wood Ind Estate IIRC, Buzzer

Turned them, Buzzer

Another shot of Monty on a historical run, Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer

287590020_10229252931086873_2675074240744040561_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Is this Monty ? Buzzer

That i think is Richard Gough sat in the passengers seat on the London to Brighton run this year.

Hi All,

Just to say that Bob “Nunkey” Newman’s funeral is on the 22nd June 10-15 am at Romsey Abbey.

Regards
Richard

Never knew Colin Cahalin had two motors always thought he was an owner driver, lived just up road from me, Buzzer

IIRC in order to pull boxes out of 204 berth “Owner drivers” were excluded by the people up London Road. Therefore you became a haulier if you had 2 or more vehicles in your fleet.
There were many quirky requirements to get on the berth and be serviced.
All vehicles had to be sign written (in the interests of safety) so that the owner could be contacted in an emergency (not so they could be identified and blacked during an industrial dispute).

MaggieD:
Hi All,

Just to say that Bob “Nunkey” Newman’s funeral is on the 22nd June 10-15 am at Romsey Abbey.

Regards
Richard

Sorry to correct this - spoke to Matt, Bob’s Funeral is Tuesday 21st 10.15am Romsey Abbey.

Horry:

MaggieD:
Hi All,

Regards
Richard

Sorry to correct this - spoke to Matt, Bob’s Funeral is Tuesday 21st 10.15am Romsey Abbey.

Hi Horry,

Thanks Horry my mistake it’s the last time I buy a keyboard from Derick Trotter !

Regards
Richard

1. Back in 81, I worked for Matsolex, If memory serves Peter was the Director and I think Frank was the Financial wizard. They had 3 company drivers who ran Euro ( France, Portugal, Spain and Italy) They also did a lot of Container Tanks for a French company between Fawley and
    Le Harve. As for the Manager Dave, he was an ex Army officer and a Drunk, if you couldn’t find him in the office he was next door with a glass in his hand.

2. I also worked for Jimmy Squibb, when he was in Chandler, around 84 he retired and moved to Alicante and Barry bought a Hotel in Devon.
    I have no proof, but there was speculation he had two Identical Iveco’s and one set of documents he photo copied, NEVER were both vehicles in the UK at the same time !. He also had a fleet of Mercs he ran in the UK and company colors were Red and Grey diagonals where as the Euro Vehicles were Blue and Gray Diagonals. One of his drivers was married to his daughter ! But I understand she didn’t like him being away all the time so they parted ways.

3. My worst crossing was from Oostende to Dover on Scherfino, it took 3 days due to a storm, and anchoring of Folkstone. When we got to Dover the link span was going up and down that when you drove of the boat you did it in two or three step, with the Truck on the Dock and the trailer still going up and down on the Link Span, with the crew telling you when to go…

4. Oh yer the Germans used to dip your diesel tank to make sure you didn’t have more than 50 lrts, if you did the made you pay big time, the reason was so you had to buy diesel from a German service station, the only way round it was to have a UK customs seal on a fuel tank and you were going to the middle east.

Well I thank you for this forum it has brought back quite a few memories.

Sabretooth:

1. Back in 81, I worked for Matsolex, If memory serves Peter was the Director and I think Frank was the Financial wizard. They had 3 company drivers who ran Euro ( France, Portugal, Spain and Italy) They also did a lot of Container Tanks for a French company between Fawley and
    Le Harve. As for the Manager Dave, he was an ex Army officer and a Drunk, if you couldn’t find him in the office he was next door with a glass in his hand.

2. I also worked for Jimmy Squibb, when he was in Chandler, around 84 he retired and moved to Alicante and Barry bought a Hotel in Devon.
    I have no proof, but there was speculation he had two Identical Iveco’s and one set of documents he photo copied, NEVER were both vehicles in the UK at the same time !. He also had a fleet of Mercs he ran in the UK and company colors were Red and Grey diagonals where as the Euro Vehicles were Blue and Gray Diagonals. One of his drivers was married to his daughter ! But I understand she didn’t like him being away all the time so they parted ways.

3. My worst crossing was from Oostende to Dover on Scherfino, it took 3 days due to a storm, and anchoring of Folkstone. When we got to Dover the link span was going up and down that when you drove of the boat you did it in two or three step, with the Truck on the Dock and the trailer still going up and down on the Link Span, with the crew telling you when to go…

4. Oh yer the Germans used to dip your diesel tank to make sure you didn’t have more than 50 lrts, if you did the made you pay big time, the reason was so you had to buy diesel from a German service station, the only way round it was to have a UK customs seal on a fuel tank and you were going to the middle east.

Hi mate and welcome, You forgot to mention Jack Feccitt in Matsolex or Solent shipping & transport one and the same who’s permits were trading as Monkhide what a memory, Jack also ran a pub in Redlynch near Downton, Wiltshire and had several subbies from that village.
As for Jim Squibb he was one of the early birds going abroad and I went to school with Barry who was a year younger than me at Bartley near Cadnam, Jim ran out of the old sawmill in the village but I did drive for him in the Chandlers Ford days but only for a couple of weeks in a GUY Big J could not handle the pace so jacked.
They then moved to two units in Eastleigh and ran it from there, both Jim & Barry got into autocross and Barry got very good at it but it cost a lot of money to do. Jim looked after servicing of trucks etc and at one point they did M/E from a farm near Otterborn near C/F , Tony Kimber who was related to the Squibb’s did some of that and later looked after my early trucks in the 80’s at Hedge End.
Jim was a good speedway rider when younger and when Southampton had a track, knew he went to Spain and Barry did buy a hotel in Cornwall but dont know if he is still about, those were the days my friend, Buzzer
Hi mate
Well I thank you for this forum it has brought back quite a few memories.

Sabretooth:

Hi Sabretooth,

Peter Rogerson was one of the directors, and the manager was David Dunett,and the pub was The Frog and Friggit,the French company was G. C. A. Group Charles Andre who took over Matsolex eventually.
One of the drivers was Martin Wright (The Bald Eagle).
Dave Dunett’s mother was an actress Peggy ■■■■■■■ she played the office girl in “Hell Drivers” a classic film about a haulage firm who ran tippers, also starred Sean Connery,Stanley Baker and several well known names, worth a watch.

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

Sabretooth:

Hi Sabretooth,

Peter Rogerson was one of the directors, and the manager was David Dunett,and the pub was The Frog and Friggit,the French company was G. C. A. Group Charles Andre who took over Matsolex eventually.
One of the drivers was Martin Wright (The Bald Eagle).
Dave Dunett’s mother was an actress Peggy ■■■■■■■ she played the office girl in “Hell Drivers” a classic film about a haulage firm who ran tippers, also starred Sean Connery,Stanley Baker and several well known names, worth a watch.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard, I hope you are both well. I remember the Hell Drivers film, I seem to recall
that the tippers were bonneted Dodge lorries. Cheers, Ray.