Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Thomas Moss Photo -

Hi all, look at these two smart young chap’s. :sunglasses:

August Bash:
As we know this clashes with the Davies 50th bash.
My thoughts are to continue with the Romsey venue, The Star.
I did not think it was worthwhile changing the date or venue as it would lead to some confusion.
I will be attending The Star for a few hours prior to going to the Davies bash.
Look forward to seeing who turns up.

Bakers HBT.PNG
If Bakers didn’t have the necessary trlr,they would build a bespoke one

“We own vehicles for every occasion”
CTR 499 was a Gardner powered ERF C15 which entered service with Bakers in April 1939.Seen here at Hampton Park Works, Portswood Rd c/w the first Tasker low loader to be built fitted with “giant pneumatic tyres”

Baker COW 878.jpg
COW 878, a Gardner powered ERF C16,entered service with Bakers in Sept 1939.It had a nominal 15t capacity. Bakers were nationalised in Jan 1949 & Hampton Park Works became BRS Hampton Park depot (22F)
It became the base (along with the ex Downer depot in Regents Park Rd,) for many of the area’s nationalised lorries. In Oct 1950,C0W 878 was transferred to Pickfords Stratford ( London E15) depot.

ETR 38 Gardner powered ERF C15 entered service with Bakers in April 1947 as a T/unit with a nominal 12/13t capacity. Following nationalisation,ETR38 was transferred to BRS Parcels & converted from a T/unit into a ballast tractor pulling drawbar trlrs to & from customer premises in Central London…The modified front bumper shows it’s capabilities to “nose” trls in & out of tight spots.It was based at BRS Parcels City of London depot ,London E1 as F/no P34A76

Hi Gazzer & All

You could see the Davies & have the bash with them it would be environmentally friendly save everyone driving from one do to another.

Cheers
Rich

When we subbed for Baker (Eric) I often saw paperwork that said “Baker Downer” on it. Never understood the “Downer” part.

gazzer:
When we subbed for Baker (Eric) I often saw paperwork that said “Baker Downer” on it. Never understood the “Downer” part.

Downers were a well known pre war Southampton haulier, I think there was a family connection between the Bakers & Downers.
Stroker

367188B6-EF3E-4231-9B72-370B80B875AD.jpeg

robthedog:

RTD
If I remember rightly the old AEC chassis was mounted straight onto the Invincable chassis

Stroker 156 DOT
Thanks for that.
IIRC: The “O” Licence discs on Baker’s vehicles said “B&D Overseas”, so that kept the whole thing “tidy” as it were.

gazzer:
Stroker 156 DOT
Thanks for that.
IIRC: The “O” Licence discs on Baker’s vehicles said “B&D Overseas”, so that kept the whole thing “tidy” as it were.

Gazzer
If my memoury serves me right didnt Bakers have another company W.J.Hills as well Ive seen a picture somewhere of a rigid box van??

4B5A9B52-11E2-4102-9A9B-690616C24047.jpeg

Dispatcher: Never saw that connection.
The other place I saw B&D Overseas was on Permits from Newcastle…you know, when you are short of them and Eric could loan you one!!

ROBA had an office in the fruit market in years gone by IIRC, Buzzer

[

Good to see rates are picking up, if nights out are on top I might consider a return.

simplyhired.co.uk/job/AGHan … 00&from=ja

Or you could try this quality outfit

robthedog:
https://www.simplyhired.co.uk/job/AGHan_ZH6bzByTZNX5wL91HzcB6GGcIDtlClHbIVycMh2egiZic3lw?tk=1fe17e479u9p3800&tkt=ja&sid=ja&kw=L9Q3nZsmgsv5bmQzCm_N6P9RTRXUirVC_ZXDkoMN&utm_source=jobseeker_emails&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=job_alerts&jaact=L9Q3nZsmgsv5bmQzCm_N6P9RTRXUirVC_ZXDkoMN&jatk=1fe17e479u9p3800&from=ja

Or you could try this quality outfit

Not sure you are competing with that £900 per day offered by Vinton Ltd.

Mikey1964again:
Good to see rates are picking up, if nights out are on top I might consider a return.

I wouldnt get out of bed for that

Hi all, Anyone got any picture’s of the get together at Romsey i hear there was a few there i was sorry to miss that and Buzzer’s party as me and her got the bloody covid. :sunglasses: