Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Spardo:

Baldrick1953:

toby1234abc:
Baldrick1953 , is your photo the Routiers at Barbeziuex ?

Ha ha …yep, that’s the one mate…
Not a regular stop for me , always preferred quieter spots!

A good place to eat nevertheless, but a few months ago I stopped over at the big one further south, Casse Croute Charentais, for the first time ever and found it very good too. Quieter now as well since they recently by-passed it with a continuation of the dual carriageway N10, but you have to look out for the big signs on the new road if you don’t want to miss it. :wink:

Stopped there some time ago, as I didn’t had much driving time left, had been ages since I last visited the place, as I usually try to get to Montlieu la Garde, but I was surprised by how good the place was.

charlie one:

Baldrick1953:
I wasn’t far out then Charlie…
You wouldn’t get much for a quid these days eh. :open_mouth:

What was the Bung for the Customs at Le Havre? Sorry " Coffee Money " :laughing:

You have a good memory for an impoverished old chap of 92…

In the early days Stu it was 10ff but gradually went up to 20ff. Couldn’t

get a coffee for that now. What do you mean " No bad for 92. Cheeky

young whippersnapper. 91. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hmmm… Nice bit of loot in the retirement pot eh… They must have been gutted when the borders opened up!!!
Sorry Charlie , didn’t mean to offend…didnt mean the age… It was the waistline…

Baldrick1953:

charlie one:

Baldrick1953:
I wasn’t far out then Charlie…
You wouldn’t get much for a quid these days eh. :open_mouth:

What was the Bung for the Customs at Le Havre? Sorry " Coffee Money " :laughing:

You have a good memory for an impoverished old chap of 92…

In the early days Stu it was 10ff but gradually went up to 20ff. Couldn’t

get a coffee for that now. What do you mean " No bad for 92. Cheeky

young whippersnapper. 91. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hmmm… Nice bit of loot in the retirement pot eh… They must have been gutted when the borders opened up!!!
Sorry Charlie , didn’t mean to offend…didnt mean the age… It was the waistline…

Ah Stu. That’s correct 92inch waistline. However on another topic. I’ve got a foot here but I don’t use it as a rule! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

The majority of Dukes Fordson ET6’s were supplied by Percy Hendy but in 1956,Lennox Motor Co from Southsea supplied 3 Thames 4Ds each fitted with the standard Dukes canvas tilt body. The Lennox group were acquired by Hendy’s in 1969

Dukes Thames.JPG

When discharging at Thoresen 7 Berth

It was sharp left off the linkspan

& then straight into the shed for Customs waterguard. If no customs agent in attendance,leave the paperwork in TCF’s freight office,drop the trailer,remove lights & lenses + rear No plate & away unit only !

If arriving on the freighter-Viking 1V -it was invariably No 2 north compound.Never the most popular with drivers ( maximum 12) it really did help the development of the unaccompanied trailer market

Hi all, it must be getting time to mention the August bank holiday at Tim Shepard’s pub if any one is up for it this year. :sunglasses:

roolechat:
& then straight into the shed for Customs waterguard. If no customs agent in attendance,leave the paperwork in TCF’s freight office,drop the trailer,remove lights & lenses + rear No plate & away unit only !

If arriving on the freighter-Viking 1V -it was invariably No 2 north compound.Never the most popular with drivers ( maximum 12) it really did help the development of the unaccompanied trailer market

Some nice LTS Freight pictures there the 2800 DAF would that have been a subbie ?

robthedog:

roolechat:

Some nice LTS Freight pictures there the 2800 DAF would that have been a subbie ?

Chris that’s an early tilt I can’t remember any like that, I did like the white coloured one, was the Daf Dave Howard?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hi all. Speaking to Mr Richard Green last night he told us about a YouTube video called “All roads lead to Rome” about in part 1 of 2 about 25 minuets in there is a very young Mr Wally Hawkins driving a Robert Armstrong F89 could be a wagon and drag telling how apparently drivers used to give Italian customs a back hander. Being a honest trucker i did not know what he was talking about. This may have been talked about before but there you go. :sunglasses:

Badger:

robthedog:

roolechat:

Chris that’s an early tilt I can’t remember any like that, I did like the white coloured one, was the Daf Dave Howard?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

It was a DAF demo unit -but not from Adams Morey, Thinking back on paperwork, every trailer had it’s own" trailer bag" which contained the Carnet de Passage ,permit(s)-the specified name on the permit of course matching the name displayed on the Tractor unit’s ‘O’ licence & the backing sheet having the correct watermark !- & the GV60 certificate with its photographs
The GV60 was issued by the Ministry & was an approval certificate for the transport of goods under customs seal (TIR) Every new trailer had to go to Botley (or Salisbury) test station for examination & approval & getting an appointment for that was always a pain in the ****,as was the renewal when again the trlr had to go to the Test station & every tilt repair patch was often examined in great detail along with the straps,TIR cable etc. Sadly,it was never possible to combine a GV60 renewal with the trailer MOT (Seperate Ministry departments apparently,but the same examiner for both operations !)
Rental trls often had the GV60 affixed to the bottom of the headboard behind translucent plastic but rental companies often had difficulty in controlling the Carnet de Passages & it was always frustrating collecting a rental trlr,checking it out & then finding no carnet available or insufficient volets left in it .Carnets were issued in the UK by the AA at Basingstoke who were always assiduous in chasing discharged Carnets

Not sure where Tom Parker dairies were from in Hampshire. Anyone recognise the truck / name ■■

soton milk.PNG

DEANB:
Not sure where Tom Parker dairies were from in Hampshire. Anyone recognise the truck / name ■■

They had a depot in Redlands Lane Fareham and I think there were a few other depots around that area wickham shirrel Heath way

robthedog:

DEANB:

They had a depot in Fareham and I think there were a few other depots around that area wickham shirrel Heath way

Cheers Rob. :wink:

Hi all Tom Parker dairy’s was on the Gosport road at cam’s alders. I drove the artic in about 1976 for about 6 months. They had a depot in Gosport, farm’s all around Hampshire the guy that drove the tanker for a few year’s was Arther Bedford. I did a trip to Gosprt at 5am then back to the dairy and do two drop’s one in Fernhurst and one in Midhurst would alternate the delivers to load empty’s back. the truck was AEC mandator with a 30ft trailer.it took a bit of shunting all the yard’s were small and no power steering. Good old day’s. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all Tom Parker dairy’s was on the Gosport road at cam’s alders. I drove the artic in about 1976 for about 6 months. They had a depot in Gosport, farm’s all around Hampshire the guy that drove the tanker for a few year’s was Arther Bedford. I did a trip to Gosprt at 5am then back to the dairy and do two drop’s one in Fernhurst and one in Midhurst would alternate the delivers to load empty’s back. the truck was AEC mandator with a 30ft trailer.it took a bit of shunting all the yard’s were small and no power steering. Good old day’s. :sunglasses:

Not a million miles from Southampton then. :wink:

gerbil sb152:

In the 1960’s it was all run from Charity Farm on the left about halfway between Wickham and Fareham on the A32,Tom bought nearly all his vehicles from what was then Stringers,later to become Wadham-Stringer as he was great friends with Fred Stringer who lived in Wickham. Stringers were Austin dealers Tom Parker ran all the different models from Mini’s to the FFK truck range, around the mid 60’s Stringers became AEC dealers under Princes in Southampton,it was run from Twyford Avenue in Portsmouth,so then Tom Parker started buying AEC’s. Harvey will remember Barry Pudney who was in the parts dept. at Princes,he came to work at Stringers briefly as his knowledge of AEC parts was extensive, he returned to Princes after about 12 months.

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

gerbil sb152:

In the 1960’s it was all run from Charity Farm on the left about halfway between Wickham and Fareham on the A32,Tom bought nearly all his vehicles from what was then Stringers,later to become Wadham-Stringer as he was great friends with Fred Stringer who lived in Wickham. Stringers were Austin dealers Tom Parker ran all the different models from Mini’s to the FFK truck range, around the mid 60’s Stringers became AEC dealers under Princes in Southampton,it was run from Twyford Avenue in Portsmouth,so then Tom Parker started buying AEC’s. Harvey will remember Barry Pudney who was in the parts dept. at Princes,he came to work at Stringers briefly as his knowledge of AEC parts was extensive, he returned to Princes after about 12 months.

Regards
Richard

Richard it never used to cease to amaze me when you went into Princes how them parts guys could remember the part numbers sometimes 6 or 8 figure numbers, I know it was there job but unless you went in for something out of the ordinary they never reached for the parts book or later the computer, we been round far too long, Buzzer.

Barry Pudney and Kieth with the beard.

Tom, son of Tom and Grandson Tom still own that farm on the left (plus others) as they are members of Trinity (Hampshire) Grain. We load from there often.

Hi all gazzer i think the farm you load from is just up the road Charity farm is the HQ for TJ tippers they have about 50 truck’s based there mainly 8 wheel tipper’s a few artics and skip lorry’s got other yard’s all over including Alton and Chichester. :smiley:

Buzzer:

MaggieD:

gerbil sb152:

Regards
Richard

Richard it never used to cease to amaze me when you went into Princes how them parts guys could remember the part numbers sometimes 6 or 8 figure numbers, I know it was there job but unless you went in for something out of the ordinary they never reached for the parts book or later the computer, we been round far too long, Buzzer.

Barry Pudney and Kieth with the beard.

just goes to show the same parts were failing over and over…