Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

ERF-NGC-European:

Correct me if I’m wrong but were Jamesons part of SOM or United Transport which were the parent of SOM ? Cheers Bewick.

Morning all,
Did anyone stop and pick up a shreded bandag to make a sole for the clogs or was I just mean ■■? Harvey

Thoresen ferry advert from 1967.

Click on page twice.

Spardo:

robthedog:
Not sure what clacs are, so probably no, unless you mean what the Aussies call thongs ( :unamused: ). I use them in the house now, but outside unless walking the dogs (walking boots), I use the rubber sabots. Easy on easy off but really too cold in winter and too sweaty in summer. :laughing: Clogs, leather and wood, always for driving more than half an hour, cool and warm at the right times, but I have heard they are not legal most countries without a rear strap. :neutral_face:

Hmmm… Having spent a fair bit of time in Oz I’m aware of the different meaning of thongs :laughing: :open_mouth:
Conjours up a few images… Imagine TIR Tone wearing a thong :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Socks and sandals maybe but thongs and socks…

I might have trouble sleeping tonight :laughing:

Zee Germans will Knick you for wearing them now

Yes, so I’ve heard, other places too I think, but I’ll take my chances for the comfort :wink: :smiley:

Briefly back to the Australian thongs, when I was in Queensland back in the 60s they were illegal to drive in too, I worked for a time as a machine operator for the Main Roads Department and a grader driver on the same job had just come out of a long stay in hospital. Apparently, barrelling along the highway he went for the brake and the thong caught around the accelerator, cramming him at speed into an immoveable object. :open_mouth:
[/quote]

Bewick:

ERF-NGC-European:

Correct me if I’m wrong but were Jamesons part of SOM or United Transport which were the parent of SOM ? Cheers Bewick.

Dennis I think you izz correct there about Jameson’s, I believe they were part of United Transport Group. Her is an old shot of some of there’s, Buzzer

Jameson’s were part of United Transport Group which I believe were in turn part of British Electric Traction

Regards Gaz

IMG_0715.JPG

aes1.JPG
Just came across this picture of my uncle on facebook put on by his daughter.
He is the one in the suit I dont know the driver I am sure someone will.

KNS64:
Just came across this picture of my uncle on facebook put on by his daughter.
He is the one in the suit I dont know the driver I am sure someone will.

I am sure the person standing next to Albert is my uncle Jimmy Noyce, it looks as though they are in the lower yard of George Denham (another uncle) at Sandy Lane,Fair Oak. I hope this answers your question.
Regards, Stroker 156 DOT

CFAT

L4702p.JPG

I found this picture and thought of Fergie 47. It is on a preserved railway line in Suffolk.

Hmmm… Having spent a fair bit of time in Oz I’m aware of the different meaning of thongs :laughing: :open_mouth:
Conjours up a few images… Imagine TIR Tone wearing a thong :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Socks and sandals maybe but thongs and socks…

I might have trouble sleeping tonight :laughing:

Conjours up images !!! pop this on your dashboard Spardo, all self respecting dog movers in OZ have one. Harvey

HRS:
Conjours up images !!! pop this on your dashboard Spardo, all self respecting dog movers in OZ have one. Harvey

Oh perleese. :astonished: I had to scroll the picture down to see it all, but very rapidly scrolled it back up again. :frowning:

Harvey have sent you a PM, Buzzer.

Ray Smyth:
I found this picture and thought of Fergie 47. It is on a preserved railway line in Suffolk.

Nice one Ray.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Still going strong ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Click on page once.

f89 soton 1 psoton.PNG

Buzzer ref that firm who done animal products they were Oakleigh Animal products and they did indeed come from Ascot used to run dark blue Bedford’s tks and kms

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

roolechat:

DEANB:
Who ever owned Jameson certainly liked his advertising. His trucks are always popping up in a advert ! :smiley:
A.C.B(Charles) Jameson completed an engineering apprenticeship & after his national service in the BASC he purchased an ex BRS vehicle in 1953.He operated from Gorsey Hill House,Stanley St,Heywood.
By 1958,A C Jameson(Transport)Ltd were operating 3 ‘A’ licensed 4 wheelers serving the South coast regularly carrying Lancashire flats & containers of ACCS (Anglo Continetal Container Services later rebranded as Containerway)
By 1960 the mainly ERF fleet moved to Derby Mills,Wham St,Heywood which enabled rapid expansion (50% of 1960s Turnover was from sub contracting).An office was opened in Priory Rd,St Denys,Southampton (behind Herbert Ferryman,wholesale chemists) & the vehicles “parked” on Cobden bridge.
By 1964,6 night trunk vehicles were operating in each direction though some were subbies (Merrick of Heywood) & a new company-Jameson Europa Ltd- was formed initially to serve Holland & Belgium but with the advent of TCF’s services from Southampton Jameson looked to offer French & Italian services

By 1965 A C Jameson (Transport)Ltd held 12 ‘A’ Licenses at Heywood & Jameson(Europa)Ltd operated 6 x 10m TIR Trailers

In April 1965,Jameson applied for a license to base 2 tractor units in Southampton.This met with a number of objections & a public enquiry was held. There was criticism of Jameson’s business methods & Charles Jameson admitted that the operations"were getting near the dirty words clearing House" as they persued any & every traffic Though he denied any allegation of rate cutting.

By 1968,the Jameson operation had moved to the old Chapel school in Ryde Terrace & expansion continued apace both in UK & Continental operations

On 31st Jan 1969,United Freight Holdings aquired the 3 Jameson companies.Jameson operated about 35 vehicles on general which complemented the traffics of other other United Transport Companies- J & A Smith (Maddiston)Ltd & Eurotransport.
Charles Jameson became an executive director of United & Jameson continued to expand. In 1973/4 they acquired 35 kangaroo trailers to operate their Le Havre-Novara-Le Havre trailer service in conjunction with Italmondo,Jameson’s Italian agents.
In 1971,Charles Jameson" retired" from United & with his wife Sally, bought a 107 acre farm near Ringwood breeding beef cattle but in 1974 he returned to road transport with ACJ Transportation with an office in Lower Canal Walk .ACJ operated 4 artics,but the majority of work was with Sub contractors…
The original United Jameson operation wound down in the 80’s with operations transferring to United’s Bulwark Transport depot in Nutsey Lane,Totton (Smith’s were already based there)
The Jameson fleet -including 88 flat/tilt/box/Kangaroo trailers-were auctioned at the Ryde Terrace depot in April 1985

When Jameson’s opened a Southampton office it was in Priory Rd, St Denys with very limited access so vehicles “parked” on Cobden Bridge & the drivers walked to/from the office.This 1963 LV cabbed ERF c/w York 10m trlr would appear to be parked on Cobden Bridge.

Jameson.jpg

DEANB:

Click on page once.

Deanb…I think the second owner referred to in the article may well be our very own
Mr. Richard Evans Q.C… :wink:

Fergie47:

DEANB:

Click on page once.

Deanb…I think the second owner referred to in the article may well be our very own
Mr. Richard Evans Q.C… :wink:

Hi Dave,

Hope you and the lovely Liz are well, you are right I purchased off Aerosol Research,and it was in excellent condition Mike the driver had looked after it, the plastic covering was still on the trim in the cab,I also bought their F12 6x2 Rigid as Cliff Roberts R.I.P. ex Eurohaul was looking for a job when they finished and he drove it,he was a lovely chap as many lads on here will agree.
Here’s a couple of photos of the F89 the first week she went straight to work with a wide load, and another after painting,I paid £1500 for her !! one of the last to be built.
Also a pic of the F12.

We’ll come and see you soon.
Regards
Richard

Scan16_zps6348e4a0.jpeg

Scan 2019-6-25 19.35.37.jpg