Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Charlie I just found the best motor for you mate, no TAX or license needed and 45 mile before it needs a charge up, three wheel so you got balance after a sesh, cheers Buzzer.

Thanks for thinking of me Buzzer.I like the looks of that.

45 miles eh. I can make it to Soton. Stick it on charge on

the ferry. Then I’ll have enough to make it to Rouen.

Also there’s room for Sammy and a few duty frees.

Good plan. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

One today of Bakers transporting the first hovercraft SRN 1 too Lee on Solent this was in the mid 60’s picture from FB, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
One today of Bakers transporting the first hovercraft SRN 1 too Lee on Solent this was in the mid 60’s picture from FB, cheers Buzzer.

Wow John, I remember Bakers wharf and all the early trucks in the big shed.
When the Gardners fired up in the morning it was like London smog, no health and safty then eh!!!
Think Eric is the one on the bow and his brother in the middle, showmen family, Eric was hard but if he liked you it didnt hurt as much, ha !! Harvey

I’ve just heard Gover is standing for prime minister!!!

GAZ IOW:
I’ve just heard Gover is standing for prime minister!!!

We`ll be on a winner there then.
25 hour days for us all !

Buzzer:

It’s unlikely to be a SR-N1 as the complete craft was 24 ft wide.It’s obviously incomplete & is possibly a development model built for specific testing of certain components
As the 3rd of the attached pictures shows the craft negotiating Farnham,it could well be on route to the NRDC’s Gas Turbine Research & Testing facility at Pyestock (Nr Farnborough)
YTR 160 looks very new in some of these pictures.It entered service with Bakers in Aug/Sept 1959.Though the Queen Mary is probably much older

Baker 1.jpg

Baker2.jpg

Baker3.jpg

Evenin all…

Very quiet on here…

I’ve been wondering… Why is a tilt called a tilt.■■ Like many on here I did many thousands of k’s with one in the mirrors BUT not sure I ever knew why they were so called and if I ever did then it’s long forgotten :open_mouth:

Baldrick…

Baldrick1953:
Evenin all…

Very quiet on here…

I’ve been wondering… Why is a tilt called a tilt.■■ Like many on here I did many thousands of k’s with one in the mirrors BUT not sure I ever knew why they were so called and if I ever did then it’s long forgotten :open_mouth:

Baldrick…

IIRC, horse-drawn rag-top wagons were called tilts and the name comes from an old word meaning a canvas awning. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

Baldrick1953:
Evenin all…

Very quiet on here…

Baldrick…

IIRC, horse-drawn rag-top wagons were called tilts and the name comes from an old word meaning a canvas awning. Robert

Well thank you both, :smiley: , I have been wondering about that since well before I ever dragged one. Back in Midland Storage days the engineers were instructed to design and make a tilt for a special job which only required it to be 2 feet high. :astonished:

It was never used and the answer to my question then wasn’t forthcoming either. :laughing:

Robert having looked this up the definition of a tilt is a canopy for a boat, wagon or cart, to cover ( a vehicle ) with a canopy or an awning, I never knew that either regards Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Robert having looked this up the definition of a tilt is a canopy for a boat, wagon or cart, to cover ( a vehicle ) with a canopy or an awning, I never knew that either regards Buzzer.

I liked tilts but they were not always a joy to work with! Not my pic. Robert

TippinginIstanbul_zps391dfb33.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

Buzzer:

I agree, especially like those of Cheveralls, all the bays and boards different and we were expected to strip out for a heavy lift at Neuf Brisach. When we realised that they had a giant fork truck on site, it was just lifting the sides from then on. :wink:

Later, at WhiteTrux, containers inside tilts at Savona, and we couldn’t get away with avoiding the complete strip, Same nightmare to put back together again though, but it was handy that there were usually several of us there to help. :slight_smile:

I never would have thought before I tried it myself that flipping the back flap with a side board over the top (and keeping it there) from inside the wagon would work. But it did. :smiley:

Spardo:

ERF-NGC-European:

Buzzer:

I agree, especially like those of Cheveralls, all the bays and boards different and we were expected to strip out for a heavy lift at Neuf Brisach. When we realised that they had a giant fork truck on site, it was just lifting the sides from then on. :wink:

Later, at WhiteTrux, containers inside tilts at Savona, and we couldn’t get away with avoiding the complete strip, Same nightmare to put back together again though, but it was handy that there were usually several of us there to help. :slight_smile:

I never would have thought before I tried it myself that flipping the back flap with a side board over the top (and keeping it there) from inside the wagon would work. But it did. :smiley:

(As long as the wind was in the right direction!)

Most of us boys on tilts always had a rope the right length, we would chuck the two ends over and pull up the side, or balance on the two fork lift blades and get them to drive along the side of the trailer and we would chuck the sheet on top, no H&S back then, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Most of us boys on tilts always had a rope the right length, we would chuck the two ends over and pull up the side, or balance on the two fork lift blades and get them to drive along the side of the trailer and we would chuck the sheet on top, no H&S back then, Buzzer.

And I used to clamber up the boards still wearing my clogs, don’t get out of the vehicle now without changing the footware in case I turn my ankle on a pebble. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

And I used to clamber up the boards still wearing my clogs, don’t get out of the vehicle now without changing the footware in case I turn my ankle on a pebble. :open_mouth: :laughing:

What about Clac’s did you ever have them, comfortable and easy to slip on and off, got two pairs I use in the house and on the paving, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

What about Clac’s did you ever have them, comfortable and easy to slip on and off, got two pairs I use in the house and on the paving, Buzzer

Not sure what clacs are, so probably no, unless you mean what the Aussies call thongs ( :unamused: ). I use them in the house now, but outside unless walking the dogs (walking boots), I use the rubber sabots. Easy on easy off but really too cold in winter and too sweaty in summer. :laughing: Clogs, leather and wood, always for driving more than half an hour, cool and warm at the right times, but I have heard they are not legal most countries without a rear strap. :neutral_face:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

Not sure what clacs are, so probably no, unless you mean what the Aussies call thongs ( :unamused: ). I use them in the house now, but outside unless walking the dogs (walking boots), I use the rubber sabots. Easy on easy off but really too cold in winter and too sweaty in summer. :laughing: Clogs, leather and wood, always for driving more than half an hour, cool and warm at the right times, but I have heard they are not legal most countries without a rear strap. :neutral_face:

Zee Germans will Knick you for wearing them now

robthedog:

Zee Germans will Knick you for wearing them now
[/quote]
Yes, so I’ve heard, other places too I think, but I’ll take my chances for the comfort :wink: :smiley:

Briefly back to the Australian thongs, when I was in Queensland back in the 60s they were illegal to drive in too, I worked for a time as a machine operator for the Main Roads Department and a grader driver on the same job had just come out of a long stay in hospital. Apparently, barrelling along the highway he went for the brake and the thong caught around the accelerator, cramming him at speed into an immoveable object. :open_mouth: