Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

The Commer QX range was launched in 1948 & early in 1949,Harland & Wolff Southampton shipyards took delivery of 3 QX petrol engined D/S 5 tonners

H & W Commers.png

Bakers ERF. Click on page twice.

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, i remember a tall thin guy with long fair hair can’t remember his name but he drove the S M trucking Scania with the big bull bar pulling for STS but it was a few year’s ago when we did the television’s all over the place. :sunglasses:

Yes, Thats My Dad, Simon and the 113M.

one I found in the loft

GeorgeH. I always liked that colour scheme. Simple but stands out.

Unlike todays bland white. No sign writing. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

“roolechat” Heres another Townsend Thoresen advert from 1967.

Click on page twice.

Peter 1961:

charlie one:
Whatever you do George I’m sure everyone on here wish you well.

Early days yet eh? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, best of luck George!!

Back in the world of working after a few months off :smiley: couldn’t stay away from the industry for my sins, must be something in the veins, or must be mad, or both !!!

Georgeh:

Peter 1961:

charlie one:
Whatever you do George I’m sure everyone on here wish you well.

Early days yet eh? Regards Charlie [emoji38] [emoji38]

Yes, best of luck George!!

Back in the world of working after a few months off :smiley: couldn’t stay away from the industry for my sins, must be something in the veins, or must be mad, or both !!!

Definitely Both George, best of luck anyway, ps when you come thunder thru awbridge in the 2500 remember it 30! But it was a great lookin old beastie
Jeremy

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who ever owned Jameson certainly liked his advertising. His trucks are always popping up in a advert ! :smiley:

DEANB:
Who ever owned Jameson certainly liked his advertising. His trucks are always popping up in a advert ! :smiley:
A.C.B(Charles) Jameson completed an engineering apprenticeship & after his national service in the BASC he purchased an ex BRS vehicle in 1953.He operated from Gorsey Hill House,Stanley St,Heywood.
By 1958,A C Jameson(Transport)Ltd were operating 3 ‘A’ licensed 4 wheelers serving the South coast regularly carrying Lancashire flats & containers of ACCS (Anglo Continetal Container Services later rebranded as Containerway)
By 1960 the mainly ERF fleet moved to Derby Mills,Wham St,Heywood which enabled rapid expansion (50% of 1960s Turnover was from sub contracting).An office was opened in Priory Rd,St Denys,Southampton (behind Herbert Ferryman,wholesale chemists) & the vehicles “parked” on Cobden bridge.
By 1964,6 night trunk vehicles were operating in each direction though some were subbies (Merrick of Heywood) & a new company-Jameson Europa Ltd- was formed initially to serve Holland & Belgium but with the advent of TCF’s services from Southampton Jameson looked to offer French & Italian services

C.Bew's Mercury.jpg
By 1965 A C Jameson (Transport)Ltd held 12 ‘A’ Licenses at Heywood & Jameson(Europa)Ltd operated 6 x 10m TIR Trailers

Jameson 1960 twin steer.jpg
In April 1965,Jameson applied for a license to base 2 tractor units in Southampton.This met with a number of objections & a public enquiry was held. There was criticism of Jameson’s business methods & Charles Jameson admitted that the operations"were getting near the dirty words clearing House" as they persued any & every traffic Though he denied any allegation of rate cutting.

jel 100.JPG
By 1968,the Jameson operation had moved to the old Chapel school in Ryde Terrace & expansion continued apace both in UK & Continental operations

On 31st Jan 1969,United Freight Holdings aquired the 3 Jameson companies.Jameson operated about 35 vehicles on general which complemented the traffics of other other United Transport Companies- J & A Smith (Maddiston)Ltd & Eurotransport.
Charles Jameson became an executive director of United & Jameson continued to expand. In 1973/4 they acquired 35 kangaroo trailers to operate their Le Havre-Novara-Le Havre trailer service in conjunction with Italmondo,Jameson’s Italian agents.
In 1971,Charles Jameson" retired" from United & with his wife Sally, bought a 107 acre farm near Ringwood breeding beef cattle but in 1974 he returned to road transport with ACJ Transportation with an office in Lower Canal Walk .ACJ operated 4 artics,but the majority of work was with Sub contractors…
The original United Jameson operation wound down in the 80’s with operations transferring to United’s Bulwark Transport depot in Nutsey Lane,Totton (Smith’s were already based there)
The Jameson fleet -including 88 flat/tilt/box/Kangaroo trailers-were auctioned at the Ryde Terrace depot in April 1985

Roolechat that post I found very interesting, you must work six days a week and save your postings for the weekend. Went to that Jameson dispersal sale as did most any one involved in transport in and around Southampton and further afield but cannot believe it was in 1985, there gear was top notch and having pulled a lot of there trailers on traction you never got any papers before the workshop staff in the yard had checked the tyres, lights and brakes before you were released to go up the road on forward deliveries, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Roolechat that post I found very interesting, you must work six days a week and save your postings for the weekend. Went to that Jameson dispersal sale as did most any one involved in transport in and around Southampton and further afield but cannot believe it was in 1985, there gear was top notch and having pulled a lot of there trailers on traction you never got any papers before the workshop staff in the yard had checked the tyres, lights and brakes before you were released to go up the road on forward deliveries, Buzzer

I agree cracking post “roolechat” :wink:

A location familiar I’m sure to many,Le Havre’s Quai de Southampton. New to Harveys of Bristol in Aug 1966,this Foden 8AE 7/32 Twin Load with it’s 2 stroke engine had a payload of 20.5 T but with 2 men in the Foden’s S24 cab,space must have been at a premium.
Unlike hire & reward hauliers,own account (“C” Licence) operators like Harveys never suffered from any permit restrictions.

roolechat:
A location familiar I’m sure to many,Le Havre’s Quai de Southampton. New to Harveys of Bristol in Aug 1966,this Foden 8AE 7/32 Twin Load with it’s 2 stroke engine had a payload of 20.5 T but with 2 men in the Foden’s S24 cab,space must have been at a premium.
Unlike hire & reward hauliers,own account (“C” Licence) operators like Harveys never suffered from any permit restrictions.

Great photo. A flying machine. Do you notice the chap on

the bike just about to overtake them? Or undertake!

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

roolechat:

Great photo. A flying machine. Do you notice the chap on

the bike just about to overtake them? Or undertake!

Charlie if you look closely I think you will find the chap on the bike may have been Fergie, Buzzer

You could very well be correct Buzzer. Looks a lot like him.

Also I’ve just noticed the little tank. I assumed it was a drawbar.

However no front axle. So is it close coupled? I await your reply.

charlie one:

The little tank is a semi, mounted on a 5th wheel which is itself mounted on a short extension (or rather what was left after the shortened main tank) of the 8 legger’s chassis. At least it is if it is a Twinload. They were way ahead of their time imo because it is an early version of a B-train.

They didn’t last and weren’t thought worthwhile developing, probably because of the weight and length restrictions of the time. I think 20.5 tons plus very short load space of payload wasn’t enough to persuade operators that it was worthwhile.

I am wondering if the 2nd man was a legal requirement, if the authorities considered it as a drawbar for example, or was he there for extra running time? Someone (who is very old :unamused: ) might know. :smiley:

Spardo:

charlie one:

Regards Charlie [emoji38] [emoji38]

The little tank is a semi, mounted on a 5th wheel which is itself mounted on a short extension (or rather what was left after the shortened main tank) of the 8 legger’s chassis. At least it is if it is a Twinload. They were way ahead of their time imo because it is an early version of a B-train.

They didn’t last and weren’t thought worthwhile developing, probably because of the weight and length restrictions of the time. I think 20.5 tons plus very short load space of payload wasn’t enough to persuade operators that it was worthwhile.

I am wondering if the 2nd man was a legal requirement, if the authorities considered it as a drawbar for example, or was he there for extra running time? Someone (who is very old :unamused: ) might know. :smiley:

If you tried reversing that, can you image chasing off that short trailer with the 8 legger?
Photographer would have had the quayside fuel station behind him/her. What became the Routiers “Le Welcome” is behind the truck. He’s made it past what later was Chantal’s Peter’s and Jacques’ bars…well done that man!
Is that bike possibly a Solex type cyclomoteur? Small engine on front wheel?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:
If you tried reversing that, can you image chasing off that short trailer with the 8 legger?

I can, one comment, bloody nightmare. :unamused: :laughing:

DEANB:

Dean

Smith of Maddistons had a depot next door to them in Southampton…if you blow the second picture up you can see on the left hand side a Smith’s motor, red and cream, jcoming out the yard and joining the main road…This would have been taken around 1970, prior to them moving in with Bulwark Tankers at Totton… :slight_smile: