Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Bought a load of postcards in an auction & found these 2
Viking 1 & Armorique

Ferry1.jpg

all the best
Jeremy

Buzzer:
Sure F.Houghton were based in Durley and there yard now has new houses built on it. Used to go there in the early eighties and get a trailer load of offcuts of 3" x 3" timbers to use as dunnage when we used to load the SCAC trailers with steel out of Sheffield, we stored them under our diesel tank in the yard and when the drivers filled up they would put the required amount on the unit chassis and this would save loads of time as SCAC had accounts with demolition yards round Sheffield where you could go and get dunnage but that all took loads of time to do, it worked for us anyway.
Always remember the yard foreman had a walky talky and the call signs were timberlog 1, 2, and so on depending on whom they wanted to speak too, cheers Buzzer.

PS. think they had a D series Ford Cargo artic unit IIRC painted red but its an awful long time ago, Buzzer.

Glad a couple of you remembered Houghton’s.

Heres another one from just down the road.

Ibis Intenational from Fareham running a White.

soton ib.PNG

DEANB:
F.Houghton Sawmill 1972.

Where were they based anyone know ■■ I seem to remember there was a saw mill if you come of at Cadnam and went up the old road to Southampton.

I think your thinking of waters dean

robthedog:

DEANB:
F.Houghton Sawmill 1972.

Where were they based anyone know ■■ I seem to remember there was a saw mill if you come of at Cadnam and went up the old road to Southampton.

Water’s Bros aka Dave & Mike Waters were at the beginning principle hauliers for R.F.Giddings they started with an 8 wheeled GUY the feather in the cap type with an Atlas crane, over time they expanded into artics mainly Scanias. At first most of the timber they hauled was from the New Forest but as time went on they collected from further afield. There is only one brother still alive but Dave’s son is still at it with one truck IIRC.
At first they used to park behind the Little Chef just by Cadnam roundabout but then moved to a yard at Shelly Lane Ower where they still are today, Buzzer

roolechat:
Ferry Operations 1967

img412.jpg
Canute Road on left hand side with South Western House in bottom left corner
Top left: TCF vessel on berth with queue of cars/caravans waiting to load
Viking 1V stern onto quay with export mobile homes & import agricultural tractors in 2 North freight compound
Dragon or Leopard on linkspan in the process of loading
Patricia on 2 (S) linkspan
[/quote
[attachment=1]

parsons eng.JPG[/attachment]

TCF Ferry on berth (top left) Dragon or Leopard on berth (top middle)
Bottom left: Carryfast depot, Platform Rd, Town Quay. This was the former G.A.Parsons Marine engineering works.& behind (within the port), Harland & Wolff’s Trafalgar drydock.
In 1970,Miles Druce Ltd-a national steel stockist-formed Carryfast to operate a national parcels/smalls operation.They acquired many well known operators in that field-Evertons/Carrswell/Harrisons & A.Packham & Co who’s Southampton depot was at White’s Shipyard,Woolston.
The Woolston operation was transferred to the new Carryfast depot at the Parsons site.A series of day & night trunk services operated from the depot but in 1973,Miles Druce were acquired by GKN.The Carryfast/Haulfast operation was sold to Unilever’s SPD subsidiary. By 1984 Unilever no longer wanted the Carryfast operation & it was subject to a management buy out.In July 1992,it was aquired by UPS.
The Platform Rd site was occupied by various companies (including ERF distributor KL Commerials) before demolition

Buzzer:

robthedog:

DEANB:
F.Houghton Sawmill 1972.

Water’s Bros aka Dave & Mike Waters were at the beginning principle hauliers for R.F.Giddings they started with an 8 wheeled GUY the feather in the cap type with an Atlas crane, over time they expanded into artics mainly Scanias. At first most of the timber they hauled was from the New Forest but as time went on they collected from further afield. There is only one brother still alive but Dave’s son is still at it with one truck IIRC.
At first they used to park behind the Little Chef just by Cadnam roundabout but then moved to a yard at Shelly Lane Ower where they still are today, Buzzer

Thanks “robthedog” and “Buzzer” yes Waters was the company i was thinking of blue and white ! Thought i had a pic of one but cant find it.

Baxters ERF featured in a advert.

DEANB:

Bakers :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

Bakers :wink:

Robert i remember seeing one of Bakers old tilt trailers think it was a 33ft and the side boards were made of hardwood as were the slats, they must have been heavy,Buzzer

Good morning John, Robert,
Dean made an interesting error because there was a Baxters meat company in Southampton, remember the Girls with there big rubber gloves on digging in to the blood buckets making the black sausage with there hair in curlers and a cloth over it, Think they were ex convant. happy days. Harvey

Morning Harvey and Buzzer! ^^^^^^ Yes, those 10m tilts had some heavy materials in the superstructure, but weren’t the bays shorter, thereby keeping the weight of each dropside down. Also, there wasn’t so much canvas to throw over the top. I remember moving from 12m tilts to 13m tilts and struggling a bit with the extra weight (given that I’m a short-arse)! Like you say, happy days. Robert

HRS:
Good morning John, Robert,
Dean made an interesting error because there was a Baxters meat company in Southampton, remember the Girls with there big rubber gloves on digging in to the blood buckets making the black sausage with there hair in curlers and a cloth over it, Think they were ex convant. happy days. Harvey

Harvey,

Don’t get too excited and remember to take your medication. :slight_smile:

Think I saw Barry Pudney in Romsey the other day,will let you know if I catch up with him.

Regards
Richard

ERF-NGC-European:
Morning Harvey and Buzzer! ^^^^^^ Yes, those 10m tilts had some heavy materials in the superstructure, but weren’t the bays shorter, thereby keeping the weight of each dropside down. Also, there wasn’t so much canvas to throw over the top. I remember moving from 12m tilts to 13m tilts and struggling a bit with the extra weight (given that I’m a short-arse)! Like you say, happy days. Robert

Robert…I am also a short-arse, 5ft 4ins tall, I am always the last person to know when its raining… :slight_smile: :wink: Ray.

Heres another one of Baxters ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bakers1 sotonpsoton.jpg

Ray Smyth:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert…I am also a short-arse, 5ft 4ins tall, I am always the last person to know when its raining… :slight_smile: :wink: Ray.

But the going got tough we could scramble up those wheelnuts into the cab and away, eh! Robert

Harvey,
Don’t get too excited and remember to take your medication. :slight_smile:
Think I saw Barry Pudney in Romsey the other day,will let you know if I catch up with him.
Regards
Richard
[/quote]
Good advise Richard, these days I cant evan take a torch to bed.
Look forward to hearing about Barry/
Hope yo are both well.
Harvey

June 1966 & the first section of Concorde to be transported fom Toulouse to Filton disembarking from Viking 11
A 1957 Berliet MDX 24 is towing the Sud Aviation trailer. I believe Hill’s provided some ballest traction,perhaps Dispatcher can confirm. In the distance( above the linkspan winding gear) can be seen the laminated roof trusses of the Princess Alexandra Terminal which is under construction

roolechat:
June 1966 & the first section of Concorde to be transported fom Toulouse to Filton disembarking from Viking 11
A 1957 Berliet MDX 24 is towing the Sud Aviation trailer. I believe Hill’s provided some ballest traction,perhaps Dispatcher can confirm. In the distance( above the linkspan winding gear) can be seen the laminated roof trusses of the Princess Alexandra Terminal which is under construction

July 1965.Cars waiting to embark on Viking 1 once it has berthed & discharged The Thames Trader in the left foreground is carrying a container of live eels from Scotland to France. In the middle foreground is the first BTDB Douglas Tugmaster which enabled TCF to start carrying unaccompanied freight (During 1964,TCF could only carry driver accompanied traffic).A second Tugmaster was immediately added as unaccompanied volumes grew exponentially

July 1965.2 ERF’s of Cawthorn & Sinclair discharging in Le Havre en route to Gennevilliers for customs clearance & then onward delivery of their loads of television tubes

C & S  TCF.JPG

Dover, July 1981. Sealink’s St Anselm departing for Calais & a Townsend Thoresen on Berth
In the foreground a Transport Services Iveco with the driver appearing to be stood by the open cab door

roolechat:
Dover, July 1981. Sealink’s St Anselm departing for Calais & a Townsend Thoresen on Berth
In the foreground a Transport Services Iveco with the driver appearing to be stood by the open cab door

What a good picture as there are not many flip flops in that shot are there, Buzzer

roolechat.
your right again ballest traction was suplied