Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

You both could join up as a double act RichChris or Hales & Evans or CHER just get Richard to turn around
Well its all over now all fed & watered
Happy New Year
Jeremy

gerbil sb152:
Hi all,Yes BIll and Ashwin Hill the R.S. Hill was there dad . Bill died a few years back know but Ashwin is still going strong. My dad worked for there uncle and i did a fare bit off weekend work for them when they had there first truck a bedford T K tractor unit, then they had 2 f86’s just moving caravans then they got a bit more into transport and had a fleet of 5 or six mixed volvo and mercedes doing all sort’s. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ashwin it was, thanks for that gerbill sb 152.
Ashwin was the comunications man if i remember rightly allways running arround in his land rover full of radio bits. I think he mainly dealt with the site homes and maintenance with Bill dealing with the transport.
Can you tell me, are the old coaching stables that they worked from still there, like a time warp, fantastic brickwork and old victorian rooms and stables with the house built on, all to supply horses to the grand people in Cams Hall. nother world mate. Harvey

PS, makes me laugh, to day no matter how much money you have you would set your fancy piece up in a flat, not buy her a mantion house and grounds, old Lord Nelson new how to do it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hi HRS. The old mansion is there still but is know a very expensive office block, the other buildings from the farm are still there but is a business park and a very expensive golf club the whole place is very nice but expensive. You would not recognize the place.they never owned it,it was all part of Southwick estate but they rented it for a lot of year’s. Gerbil sb152

Hi all, just another useless piece of information the mansion at Cams Hall is where “allegedly” lord Nelson used to meet Lady Hamilton when they were having there affair. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any one know if this was one of Pats at one point colours look similar

Ftr 269D.jpg

DEANB:
Bakers ERF

FTR 269D was not the only LV cabbed ERF used in HMC advertisements,

img338.jpg

ftr271d.jpg

B&D Overseas last office (may still be) was the old funeral directors offices (or next door to) on the eastern side of Northam Bridge (opposite what was Tommy Holden’s scrap yard). I used to have to go there to collect load paperwork or the trip money if Eric couldn’t be arsed to go to the Ferry Terminal.
First place I met his daughter…giving the evils and full of her importance. Forget her name…begin with B?

gazzer:
B&D Overseas last office (may still be) was the old funeral directors offices (or next door to) on the eastern side of Northam Bridge (opposite what was Tommy Holden’s scrap yard). I used to have to go there to collect load paperwork or the trip money if Eric couldn’t be arsed to go to the Ferry Terminal.
First place I met his daughter…giving the evils and full of her importance. Forget her name…begin with B?

Gazzer remember when Billy Robinson worked for Eric Baker, he had a Scania 80 IIRC in JFA colours but Eric always met them off the ferry in the docks to pay them there meager pittance when they came home. His car had the reg EGB did it not IMMSMW, cheers Buzzer and HNY mate.

If i remeber rightly John EGB4 or 4EGB on a 3ltr Rover last time i saw it at the Testing Staion Botley, when they pulled a low loader with a Cable drum plus start drum, he was not pleased

Hi all, Gazzer i think Eric Baker’s daughter was Bernadett could be wrong i did a couple of traction job’s for her but could not put up with the extremely foul mouth she had when thing’s went wrong which of course was always your fault not her’s. :smiley:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, Gazzer i think Eric Baker’s daughter was Bernadett could be wrong i did a couple of traction job’s for her but could not put up with the extremely foul mouth she had when thing’s went wrong which of course was always your fault not her’s. :smiley:

Kev you should have got her over the office desk and given her a good seeing too, then she may have had a smile on her face as back then you wuzz young and virile, Buzzer.

Eric Baker had a MB 190E with 4 EGB on it.

Yep Bernadette (B??). A spotty foul mouthed person who would have been an extreme handful to be involved with. I was not brave enough although I did consider it one night in the pub when I ran into her. I bottled out! I couldn’t take the wrath of her father as well as her if it all went ■■■■ up! But then i didn’t consider the whole picture had we joined forces and furthered the business! She would be about 60 now.

Happy New year to all our readers, subscribers and contributors.

Buzzer:

gerbil sb152:

Kev you should have got her over the office desk and given her a good seeing too, then she may have had a smile on her face as back then you wuzz young and virile, Buzzer.

Hi John,

Blimey I’ve known Kev for over 40 years and I can never remember him being young and virile !!

Regards
Richard

Morning all,Richard how can you say such a thing i was just a boy hen you and Angela took me under your wing for my first solo trip guiding around Paris then saying your on your own now just keep going south and eventually you will get to Marseilles. Thank’s mate i did appreciate what you both did for me that day. :sunglasses:

Me again that should have been when not hen i have nothing to do with buzzer’s chicken :unamused:

gazzer:
Yep Bernadette (B??). A spotty foul mouthed person who would have been an extreme handful to be involved with. I was not brave enough although I did consider it one night in the pub when I ran into her. I bottled out! I couldn’t take the wrath of her father as well as her if it all went ■■■■ up! But then i didn’t consider the whole picture had we joined forces and furthered the business! She would be about 60 now.

Morning “gazzer” He had a small holding near Ashurst on the edge of the forest. A painted pony “mare” running about in the field whinnying, screaming and letting all forest poneys have there wicked way, day and night. Amazing how kids pick thing up, dont you think. Harvey.

img339.jpg

DEANB:
I remember going to Botley Mills as a kid. Not sure if they are still going ■■

Tamplin Engineering,Birdham,Chichester were renowned producers of power packs for non pto powered tipping trailers (choice of Lister/Deutz/Briggs & Stratton/ Hamble produced Petter engines) as well as bespoke bodies for the agricultural industry.
This Tamplin bulk blower body was new to Botley Mills in 1970 & transferred onto it’s second chassis -HCG 115N (a fixed head 500 Leyland Lynx) in 1975

BotleyHCG.JPG

HRS:

gazzer:

Morning “gazzer” He had a small holding near Ashurst on the edge of the forest. A painted pony “mare” running about in the field whinnying, screaming and letting all forest poneys have there wicked way, day and night. Amazing how kids pick thing up, dont you think. Harvey.

Some say I have a small holding in Bursledon but it apparently does not involve any land mass, JD

The 1950’s Seddon with a Leyland engine that my father drove was a flatbed but fitted with a Tamplin tank, that wasn’t a blower but had auger discharge with a Briggs and Stratton engine. I believe it came secondhand from Tilburys in Southampton, possibly ex Christopher Hill as there was orange paint showing through?

Pete.