Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

roolechat:
Southampton Road Transport Ltd was set up in 1960 by 4 Southampton hauliers
H Cornick & Sons (est 1925) Habin Haulage (est 1955) Meachers Transport(est 1932) & Pitter Bros.
Habin’s interests were acquired in 1963,Cornick’s in 1966 . Meacher/Pitter shared 50/50 untill 1980 when Pitter acquired the Meacher interests.

This 1970 Seddon 32-Four is pictured in SRT’s Anderson Road depot,with Pitter’s depot in the background

Hi bud do you know the chap in the photo because my dad was on srt and we had a photo of him stood beside the same load
Regards gazzap

Buzzer:
Heard that Harris Transport went into administration on Friday any one got the lowdown on this, Buzzer

Hi Buzzer

thats correct, we went into administration on Friday 10th August

regards
George

GeorgieBoy:

Buzzer:
Heard that Harris Transport went into administration on Friday any one got the lowdown on this, Buzzer

Hi Buzzer

regards
George

So sorry to hear that George. Always sad when an old established haulier folds up.

I hope that you can bounce back. If you’re anything like your father then you will.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

GeorgieBoy:

Buzzer:

Hi Buzzer

regards
George

So sorry to hear that George. Always sad when an old established haulier folds up.

I hope that you can bounce back. If you’re anything like your father then you will.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

morning Charlie

at the moment, i have no intention of starting again, maybe stay in the industry, but then never say never :slight_smile:

Whatever you do George I’m sure everyone on here wish you well.

Early days yet eh? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Whatever you do George I’m sure everyone on here wish you well.

Early days yet eh? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, best of luck George!!

In reply to Euromats post about cowhides.you are correct young man.Rawlings transported skins all over the place.Belgium France Spain but mainly Italy.Did they ever smell! Also they were covered in salt which rotted the floors and sides.The best part was after you tipped you had to scrub out and let everything dry.Most of our backloads at that time were washing machines out of Candy or groupage from Italmondo or Jackie Maeder out of Milan and they did not like the smell.Personally I never noticed,although it was a bit lonely in the routiers sitting all on my own.Happy Days.

Taken about a month ago…
[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jim Squibb Volvo F88.

soton1.jpg

Hi all sad news today that Steve may (Mayer) sadly passed away this morning. A lovely guy to be around and always had cheeky smile my condolences to Steve’s family rip Steve god bless
Regards gazzap

Morning all. Well another good turn out at Mr Sheppard’s yesterday. Unfortunately Charley could not make it we all hope your OK mate i am sure everyone is thinking about you in this difficult time as buzzer said on his thread stay strong mate. As for the sausage’s they are in cooking as we speak will let you know what they are like,thank’s buzzer you know they went to a good home. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:
Morning all. Well another good turn out at Mr Sheppard’s yesterday. Unfortunately Charley could not make it we all hope your OK mate i am sure everyone is thinking about you in this difficult time as buzzer said on his thread stay strong mate. As for the sausage’s they are in cooking as we speak will let you know what they are like,thank’s buzzer you know they went to a good home. :sunglasses:

We’re coming round for a sausage sarrnie Kev !
Nice to see you and everyone yesterday! Was a good turn out !!

Where’s all the pictures from yesterday’s bash then, I only paid a fleeting visit to the wheatsheaf and it was packed, no one in the garden though I wonder why, Buzzer.

Kinnel Buzzer, gizza chance!
Sorry about some blurry photos.
There are 2 videos, one by me and one by Cookie. I’ll post them separately…If I can.

Morning Gazzer,
Great pics of the old timers eh !!
Pat Scorey, at 84 he must be close in my family tree, is he on line ■■? could send a PM.
Also Chris Hobart, is he related to Brian Hobart ex Whiteparish O/D and later a driver for Skylark/Budens, Romsey.
Must be good to all keep in touch, cheers, Harvey Scorey.

HRS:
Morning Gazzer,
Pat Scorey, at 84 he must be close in my family tree, is he on line ■■? could send a PM.
Also Chris Hobart, is he related to Brian Hobart ex Whiteparish O/D and later a driver for Skylark/Budens, Romsey.

Steve Hobart is his name Harvey and yes he is the son from Whiteparish, he had an F88 IIRC, Buzzer.

PS. Shipped out on my first trip with Pat Scorey and Jim Baily for PBC European very early 70’s non sleeper Mandator.

at lorraines i remember the big wheeler breakfast on the board…

i think the biggest was the 6 wheeler with 6 bacon, 6 sausages, 6 black pudding… you get the idea.

after that size brekkie you will need a SSC at least just to get in it.

we used go in alot and always faniced giving it a try but nobody never had the bottle.

Buzzer:

HRS:
Morning Gazzer,

Steve Hobart is his name Harvey and yes he is the son from Whiteparish, he had an F88 IIRC, Buzzer.

PS. Shipped out on my first trip with Pat Scorey and Jim Baily for PBC European very early 70’s non sleeper Mandator.

Buzzer, think yourself lucky that you had newish Mandator for your first trip abroad,and even luckier you returned to this country if you were in Scorey P’s company. However our first european trips were in a Foden S20 twin steer which we rebuilt from the remains of our 8wheel bulker which originally had a Mk 3 two stroke (125 hp) . This was uprated to a very well used Gardner 150 pulling PBC1 a new 12mtr Quay trailer, our fist trip in the late 60s was 20ton of synthetic rubber Membury to Clermont Ferrand, not an uneventful trip but thats another story.