Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

To anyone who would like to attend Mick Hellawells funeral will be on the 11th of September at 12 midday at Dunsfold parish church
Best regards
Ian

traniht:
To anyone who would like to attend Mick Hellawells funeral will be on the 11th of September at 12 midday at Dunsfold parish church
Best regards
Ian

I’ll be there Ian. Any flowers or donations? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Ian
as Kevin (gerbil) said, all the times i meet Mick whilst on the ferry he was always a nice man.
Jeremy

Sent from my B1-810 using Tapatalk

I was just thinking that im sure Mick would have been only too happy to think that i will buy you all a drink on Sunday
Now im sorry to say i cant make it in person as we are still in the middle of harvest so i will entrust the £3.19s 6d to Mr Burton whom im sure will distribute this amount fairly
Have a good day all and say a liquid farewell to dear old Mick

traniht:
I was just thinking that im sure Mick would have been only too happy to think that i will buy you all a drink on Sunday
Now im sorry to say i cant make it in person as we are still in the middle of harvest so i will entrust the £3.19s 6d to Mr Burton whom im sure will distribute this amount fairly
Have a good day all and say a liquid farewell to dear old Mick

I’ll be happy to say a liquid farewell to Mick. However could Gary be

trusted with that amount of cash? Sorry you can’t make it Ian. However

see you at the funeral. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hello everybody just like to say bonne bash tout le monde for tomorrow and raise a glass to Mick for me and don’t forget loadsa pics ta. Salut Andy

horaces first:
Hello everybody just like to say bonne bash tout le monde for tomorrow and raise a glass to Mick for me and don’t forget loadsa pics ta. Salut Andy

Bonjour Andy how did your French beans turn out ? got three fifty foot rows half and half French & runners and so far have just past the 3 cwt mark most of which I have sold for £1 a pound so not a bad year and still picking, Buzzer.

Salut Buzzer, been a good year for french beans this year just started to pick our second double row ( only 6metres long) . You can’t give them away here everybody’s got them, they even put them in kilner jars for the winter. Have a good bash. Andy

August bash at the Wheat Sheaf pub of old comrades of the road, we lose some every year but a good old catch up and some miles done in the pub garden, Buzzer.

Photo0829.jpg

Photo0831.jpg

Couple more John

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

It was great to see everyone today, a great turnout lovely weather good company hope to see you all again next year !!
Regards Jimski

Great to be part of the August Bash again. Thanks to all of you for making it worthwhile.

We raffled a litre of Soberano donated by me and a bottle of Vecchia Romagna (Ettichetta nera) donated by Tim for the Great OrmonInd Street Childrens Hospital and the RNLI. In total we raised £110, divided between the two causes. The Vecchia was won by Paul Nichols and the Soberano by Buzzer who promptly put it back up for auction. Compo was the winning bidder.

Thank you for your generosity.

Hasta el anyo que viene

I was privileged to be at the bash yesterday.So many old

workmates and friends from years ago. All looking well and

sprightly. The photo of me doesn’t do me justice. It makes me

look a bit chunky and elderly. Now take Gerbil for example. He

still looks 35. Thank you Buzzer for the drink. Sorry I couldn’t

find you when it was my round. Next time eh?

Thanks to everyone again for making the day special. Also really

Pleased to see Jim and Maureen. Been too long Jim!

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
I was privileged to be at the bash yesterday.So many old

workmates and friends from years ago. All looking well and

sprightly. The photo of me doesn’t do me justice. It makes me

look a bit chunky and elderly. Now take Gerbil for example. He

still looks 35. Thank you Buzzer for the drink. Sorry I couldn’t

find you when it was my round. Next time eh?

Thanks to everyone again for making the day special. Also really

Pleased to see Jim and Maureen. Been too long Jim!

Charlie don’t think you got away with it saying you could not find me to buy me a drink, I could not stay till 10pm as I had to shut up me chickens about 8.30 & I am not long after that climbing the wooden hill. As you say it is nice to do a few miles with your old comrades especially as the sun shone on us all afternoon. Just a warning I have dibbed you in to the Arlesford allotment group and they will be paying a lot more attention to there funds from now on so be careful mate & don’t get caught out, Buzzer.

Thanks for a lovely afternoon in very good company. Thanks Tim.

A few photos from my trips with Phil in the early eighties with Transport Services.

“average speed of 10 MPH” ! March 1963 en route to Marchwood,passing Mayflower Park

Went to Mick Hellawells funeral today. The church was packed. Standing room only

at the back. The Irish Rover. was played at the beginning.Took me back to the bashes

when Mick, Pat Duffy rip and myself would roar out the song. Bloody moving.

charlie one:
Went to Mick Hellawells funeral today. The church was packed. Standing room only

at the back. The Irish Rover. was played at the beginning.Took me back to the bashes

when Mick, Pat Duffy rip and myself would roar out the song. Bloody moving.

Charlie,

Here you are with Mick (R.I.P.) and Pat (R.I.P.) together with Paddy singing “The Irish Rover” at one of the August get togethers.

Regards
Richard

roolechat:
Southern Roadways operated from West Shore Wharf in Poole. They also had offices in London W12 (Shepherds Bush),
Handsworth in Birmingham & also Bristol (Tower Hill)
They were nationalised in 1948 into British Road Services South Western District (F) becoming part of Southampton Division (depot code 20F)
The Scammel pictured is a petrol engined with a nominal capacity of 14 T,though 17 T would have been the norm

Just joined this forum and have some pictures that might be of interest.

These are from mine and my dads days at UBM Winchester, the launch of the Transcon at Bar end Winchester and a few pictures of his wreckers and some local jobs we did.

I have got some later ones from the 80s and 90s when I was a fitter and drove for other recovery companies.

6.jpg

26.jpg