Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

DEANB that’s a blast from the past with Morefair, they had a little yard just off the Tesco roundabout at Bursledon going towards Thornhill, they used to do a lot of strawberries in the season back then, opposite them was a café and Grigg’s used to have a few Volvo trucks based there and from memory always did paper and cardboard goods, also there was Charlie forget his surname who had a couple of tippers on tarmac out of Botley railway station, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
DEANB that’s a blast from the past with Morefair, they had a little yard just off the Tesco roundabout at Bursledon going towards Thornhill, they used to do a lot of strawberries in the season back then, opposite them was a café and Grigg’s used to have a few Volvo trucks based there and from memory always did paper and cardboard goods, also there was Charlie forget his surname who had a couple of tippers on tarmac out of Botley railway station, Buzzer.

Funny enough Buzzer i was looking for something else and stumbled across them like you do !

Shamara transport. Anyone got any pics of the ERF NGC they had ■■

It’s not what the photo is about but what also is in the photo!

Third one down has a Sanmar? Merc in there outside PB Asher Fuel Injection shop.

gazzer:
It’s not what the photo is about but what also is in the photo!

Third one down has a Sanmar? Merc in there outside PB Asher Fuel Injection shop.

Take more than P.B.Asher to make that Stutgart hillstopper go Gazzer, cheers Buzzer.

hi all. That’s a strange thing gazzer the joker was registered on my birthday as i was born on the 08-08-54. Glad to hear your shoulder is getting better it will probably take a while but you will get there as long as you don’t go doing anything silly and setting yourself back. Those picks of straw cart bought back memories my dad first came to fareham in 1952 as a lorry driver for Monty Hill he was a hay & straw merchant. His first truck was a Denise paxit 3a then progressed on to a bedford TK they Both had demount-able cattle bodies lifted on and off by chains in the barn. Might have some pics will have a look. :smiley:

Remember this old beast as a kid when we used to go into princes when they were in Third avenue. Looks like this may have been taken at there place off the M271. Did they drop a F12 lump in it as it has F12
badges on the front ■■

soton40.PNG

DEANB:
Remember this old beast as a kid when we used to go into princes when they were in Third avenue. Looks like this may have been taken at there place off the M271. Did they drop a F12 lump in it as it has F12
badges on the front ■■

Hi all,
Gazzer will know about the lump, ime sure, but badges were two a penny and always to be found in spare boxes.
“Funny story” When early trucks came to the dealer network they were in protective primer and wax coated, all holes were in place so when it was painted you stuck the little plastic plugs in the holes and pushed on the badge etc.
The fist F10 model was badged F10 17 because that meant as a chasis cab it was a 16 tonner, factory 17 tonner.
When the uprated back end came out, standard springs to parabolic etc that gave a stronger axle and better ride when bouncing, it was badged F10 20 still a 16 tonner in the uk but 20 ton factory.Now one day a Mr Pudney, parts manager at Princes said he was selling a lot of badges F10 20 when not that many were on the road and the dealer network reported the same to the dearer council.
I met a few drivers who honestly thought the new F10 20 whent much better than the F10 17 so we can all have thoughts on that.
As we all say, happy days, unfortunatley gone.
Harvey

As Harvey says, badges were 2 a penny when the F10/12’s started to come through. I still have some stuck on my toolbox!
The trend was to “uprate” your F cab by replacing 17 for 20. Identical engine ratings!
The Wrecker was just adorned with “spare” badges, There was no difference between the TD120A (F89) engine and the TD120C (F12) engine fundamentally and in the power stakes, just some of the frilly bits around the edges.

HRS:

DEANB:
badges on the front ■■

Hi all,
Gazzer will know about the lump, ime sure, but badges were two a penny and always to be found in spare boxes.
“Funny story” When early trucks came to the dealer network they were in protective primer and wax coated, all holes were in place so when it was painted you stuck the little plastic plugs in the holes and pushed on the badge etc.
The fist F10 model was badged F10 17 because that meant as a chasis cab it was a 16 tonner, factory 17 tonner.
When the uprated back end came out, standard springs to parabolic etc that gave a stronger axle and better ride when bouncing, it was badged F10 20 still a 16 tonner in the uk but 20 ton factory.Now one day a Mr Pudney, parts manager at Princes said he was selling a lot of badges F10 20 when not that many were on the road and the dealer network reported the same to the dearer council.
I met a few drivers who honestly thought the new F10 20 whent much better than the F10 17 so we can all have thoughts on that.
Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Hope you are well,I remember Barry Pudney he was a young lad when he started at Tanners Brook when Princes were AEC dealers,Walt Safe,and Dennis were also in the stores,with Gordon Crittall the service manager,and Mike Prince and his Dad at the helm. Barry left briefly and went to Stringers in Twyford Avenue Portsmouth who were BMC dealers as well as an AEC outlet under Princes, this would have been around 1966 so over 50 years ago,I’m sure he lives in Romsey and will try and track him down.As Buzzer would say another Mary Hopkins moment !

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

HRS:

DEANB:
badges on the front ■■

Hi all,
Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Hope you are well,I remember Barry Pudney he was a young lad when he started at Tanners Brook when Princes were AEC dealers,Walt Safe,and Dennis were also in the stores,with Gordon Crittall the service manager,and Mike Prince and his Dad at the helm. Barry left briefly and went to Stringers in Twyford Avenue Portsmouth who were BMC dealers as well as an AEC outlet under Princes, this would have been around 1966 so over 50 years ago,I’m sure he lives in Romsey and will try and track him down.As Buzzer would say another Mary Hopkins moment !

Regards
Richard

Hi all when talking of Princes and Barry Pudney it always amazed me when you went in for a spare part most of the time they could recall the part number without going any where near a parts book for reference, Cheers Buzzer.

Proper storemen now you need a chassis number for a light bulb

Not sure about long departed hauliers but as I have just given up my HGV/LGV licence after 52 years I guess that makes me recently departed as far as being a driver, don’t think I have worked with any of the regular contributors on this thread but have worked many years around Southampton and recently out of Fawley. Mind you with the right offer I could revive the licence. :smiley:

Jim T think you know this old motor mate, of FB Buzzer.

MrJake:
Not sure about long departed hauliers but as I have just given up my HGV/LGV licence after 52 years I guess that makes me recently departed as far as being a driver, don’t think I have worked with any of the regular contributors on this thread but have worked many years around Southampton and recently out of Fawley. Mind you with the right offer I could revive the licence. :smiley:

Hello Mr Jake,
I dont know about the right offer, any offer to keep that feeling of freedom and purpose is good enough. I get a little buzz knowing I can still do something that someone values enough to actually pay me.
Go for it !!!
Harvey

Buzzer:
Jim T think you know this old motor mate, of FB Buzzer.

Yes I remember it well Buzzer loved it !

One of Sims metals from the docks.

sims metal.PNG

MaggieD:

HRS:

DEANB:
badges on the front ■■

Hi all,
Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Regards
Richard

Hello Richard,
I am well thanks, I remember Princes workshop manager lived in Romsey but for the life of me his name escapes me, it will come !! nice chap, made and flew model aircraft. expect a post from Gazzer any time now.
Old Southampton hauliers, whatever hapened to Sibley material movements, Ron. ( he was into model planes )
His son ran it last I heard, had a yard on Nursling industrial estate.
Regards
Harvey

HRS:

MaggieD:

HRS:

DEANB:
badges on the front ■■

Hi all,
Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Regards
Richard

Hello Richard,
I am well thanks, I remember Princes workshop manager lived in Romsey but for the life of me his name escapes me, it will come !! nice chap, made and flew model aircraft. expect a post from Gazzer any time now.
Old Southampton hauliers, whatever hapened to Sibley material movements, Ron. ( he was into model planes )
Regards
Harvey

As far as I know,Ron’s son John Sibley is still in charge.
Sibley’s go back to the turn of the century & like a lot of hauliers started with a horse & cart, graduating to a motor vehicle ( in Sibleys case in 1920) By 1939 W.T.Sibley(Haulage)Ltd were operating 18 vehicles.They had their own gravel pits in Chandlers Ford until 1959.
On the wall in Hendy’s Chandlers Ford Commercial vehicle reception (the site is now a housing estate)always hung a picture of a large fleet of Fordson 7V tippers supplied to Sibley’s by Percy Hendy circa 1947
Sibley’s expanded rapidly in the 60’s. They acquired H.W.Blow,Vecks of Netley Marsh,W Earl,Shepherd Romsey,the 20 licences of Clarke Bros Bitterne Park, A.W.Collins Winterslow & became one of ,if not the.largest privately owned tipper fleets in southern england. They were founder members of the Mid Southern Tipper consortium one of whose contracts was the movement of millions of cubic yards of chalk for the Cosham section of the M27.From Dyer Road Shirley,Sibleys moved to Anderson Road then Hilton’s ex site in Nursling
With the advent of the Mendip stone trains, Sibley Material Movements had vehicles based at Botley,Totton & some at Eastleigh were in By-Rail livery

HRS:

MaggieD:

HRS:

DEANB:
badges on the front ■■

Hi all,
Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Regards
Richard

Hello Richard,
Regards
Harvey

Sibley3.jpg

Articulated vehicles & general haulage were never a large part of the Sibley operation. This RR powered Seddon 32.4 was supplied by Tilburys
IIRC Princes also supplied a Volvo T/unit to Sibleys

sibley2.jpg