Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Dieselcowboy:
Happy new year Charlie. Jim, yet another cracking model mate.

Hi Nick cheers mate ! Hope you had a good break, suppose your back on the wheel like the rest of us !
What you got on the bench? Only 6 months to go :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
R Jimmer

Anybody would think we were getting old or something Harry.

As they say “Ive got Altzheimers… but at least I don’t have Altzhiemers”

Hi Jim,
yeah was on containers this week, but nothing booked as yet for next week, very quiet, but I expected it. Still, gives me a bit of time for some modelling! I’m just starting a Daf XF in Frans Maas Holland’s colours. I also got a tipper trailer, tractor and trailer for low loader load and several cars sitting therewaiting to be sprayed, so enough to keep me busy for a while! :smiley: I must get started on a couple I want to do for Gaydon this year, what you got going on at the moment?

David Miller The trouble is that I moved around a lot & each location has its own bunch of characters so its only the very best or worst are remembered. When I started TIR I was based in London, then Dover.back to London ( I mean living in these places. ) Then for a long time it was Swiss , then Holland, tried Italy. All these locations have their own families so at times it can be difficult . Now I have washed up in UK my friend is the awful tv. :unamused:

:slight_smile:
Does anyone remember a firm called ‘Jameson’ or ‘Jameson Europa’ ?
I think they were based somewhere in the Southampton area.
They had those tilt trailers that were lifted on and off trains, and had the chamfered roof edges so that they would fit through the tunnels.
They did mainly Italy, I think.
:sunglasses:

Ye’ah,they went bust because they invested in hundreds of 10 metre tilt trailers. The rest of the world went for 12 metre. I think the idea was to set cheaper rates per trailer to Italy because they could get a cheaper rate on the ferries. I think trains were involved somewhere along the line…? they had a driver called Pinhead.

240 Gardner:

Mike-C:

Rob K:
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:25 pm
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:21 am

:open_mouth:

There’s been a few like that lately, i’m suprised no one else noticed, they all carry on like it was yesterday!!!

Well, it would have to be Tykes and Scousers complaining :wink:

Sorry mate, i wasn’ complaining, i just found it funny that it was just picked back up on and not mentioned. The reference to yesterday, i meant like the thread was started yesterday and not a reference to days gone by.

And Harry stay off the red wine tonight!!

Here,s one of Armstrongs I came across on FB.
JImmer reckons he,s seen this one before…but I,m sure I aint.

When there life ended at Armstrongs a lot of them 89’s were converted to tractor units Gazzer will know Buzzer

AA. GRIGGS 011.jpg

roolechat:

Hi roolechat,

Sorry not sure who had EAA 457 S

But here’s EAA 455 S & EAA 458 S so I would think Princes in Southampton supplied it.

Regards
Richard

Richard I am pretty sure EAA458S was new to Dean’s of Salisbury as I recognise the colour scheme and it is hooked to a bulk trailer, he was out West Dean I believe and then moved on to the industrial estate near the MOT test centre in Salisbury, then sold that and bought a big bit of land near Peters Finger where they are today half of which I think he sold for development to what it is today, of course I may be wrong but Gazzer will know, cheers Buzzer.

Don’t keep putting it on my shoulders Buzzer!

I wasn’t at Princes when Armstrongs went “Free Transfer to Wellow Inc.” so can’t confirm the transition to tractor units.

Griggs definitely didn’t have that F86 from new…I wanna say Freighliner or even Square Grip but then again…

Deans in green? I don’t remember that, beige yes, green, no!

gazzer:

I wasn’t at Princes when Armstrongs went “Free Transfer to Wellow Inc.” so can’t confirm the transition to tractor units.

Griggs definitely didn’t have that F86 from new…I wanna say Freighliner or even Square Grip but then again…

Well Gazzer just goes to show I must be a tad older than you, pretty sure Dean’s wuz green an yeller in the early days. Griggs had a satalite depot where the caravan sales place is now windover/thornhill road they had 86’s there and some 88’s, it wuz a garage and a cafe’ at one time and some local trucks parked up there including Charlie Bonner with his tippers, cheers Buzzer.

PS I will use Yahoo in future Gazzer now you told me you have limited info.

Whoop whoop, Mappo!

hayes.jpg

Queens Caff Buzzer…small redemption!

French beer tonight…After the wine… :smiley:

gazzer:

Gazzer,

It certainly wasn’t “Free Transfer” you obviously have never dealt with Mr.Cookson !!!

That Armstrong drawbar used to run to Yugo every week for the Riesling,wish I could get hold of Smudger he had loads of photo’s.

Regards

Richard

Buzzer…I remember the cafe being there, and I actually did a couple of days work for
Charlie Bonner with a Big J.

Gazzer…Yeh good old Hayes…I,ve seen that photo before …that particular wagon SLO 707R was in fact an ex Astrans one.

Smudger works for CA Stevens…