Lone worker

Anyone had much to do with this? I know aldi (I think) do deliveries to closed stores as a lone worker. Not something I’d fancy as some of thier stores are in ■■■■■■■■■■
Had anyone done this? Did you fell safe?

worked for aldi on night shift for years mate dont touch it with a bargepole.cant understand how health and safety allow this practice.if you have a serious accident you could be dead before anyone finds out .no signal on your moby in some stores and people hangin about outside .you are a sitting duck in dark loading bays .i never felt safe at certain stores you knew were a problem drop not worth the hassle .few drivers breaking bones etc but just a matter of time before some poor person is killed. they have no interest in your welfare anyway they would be more bothered if all your drops werent done good money on the job makes people apply but its the normal thing if its to good to be true it normaly is thats the case in that type of job cheers mate

Did a bit of this on agency with Cromwells, had one shop delivery on the way down to penrith, wasnt too bad as it was still daylight hours but on the way back up once we`d swapped units/trailers (for some reason we never swapped trailers :S) you had to call back into that shop on the way back up the road and at like 1am its not really a nice thing to be doing in bellshill…

Did the Mercedes Benz contract, delivering car, van and truck parts to the showrooms, lots of heavy knackered cages, tail lift jobby’s, on hills etc, middle of the night.

Only a matter of time before a serious injury was done, and the wages definately didn’t make up for the risk.

The job is now done by DHL, so no idea if it’s changed or not. Was done by CEVA when I did it.

don’t see the problem, Agri workers do it all the time miles from any roads and rarely any moby signal in the hills :unamused: just think what you’d do if things went wrong and take the precations you think appropriate.

FFS big girls blouses… mutter…mumble…

If we’re doing “twilight shift” deliveries, bulk feed to farms, we’re supposed to ring control when we arrive on the farm, then again when we leave, and take our cab mobiles with us whilst blowing the feed off.

Good sense perhaps; but we don’t have to do that on normal daytime deliveries, and generally speaking you’re no more likely (in fact sometimes less likely) to have someone around of the farm then, than you would at night.

I used to do a night run for UPS Logistics out of Derby, delivering to Fenner Belts depots round the Midlands. Pretty easy job, but some of the drops were on town centre industrial estates, and there were often some rather unsavoury looking characters knocking around. And more than a few dodgy women! :smiley: