London

it’s probably been asked before,but…when does it become law for hgv’s to have those idiot windows in the passenger doors to enter the smoke? reason i ask is a dozen of our units have been fitted with the ‘beware this vehicle is turning left’ speaker :unamused: and i thought these windows were acquired at the same time.

could be wrong though! :astonished:

For now you can retro fit camera and screen, audio warning and signage to comply.

Edit - and sensor system

content.tfl.gov.uk/hgv-safety-p … ondon2.pdf

We are having half the fleet fitted with, cameras, turning left shouty things, at £500, per unit, and stickers on all the trailers… Our guv’nor, would love to have a meeting wif Mr Khan…

We had three vehicles parked for over 6 hours each at South Mimms on Monday all because of the chimp on the front desk who insists on changing all the planned jobs to favour his countrymen and therefore ended up sending those three non camera’d vehicles to London. They waited until units with cameras could do trailer swaps. I wonder how much that cost?

Maybe taking it out of the ■■■■■ wages would focus his mind! :smiling_imp:

I’m quite glad my truck can’t go into London tbh and from next week I can’t go into Bath with it and we’re based just outside Shepton Mallet :unamused:

biggriffin:
Our guv’nor, would love to have a meeting wif Mr Khan…

Or how about increase their prices for London deliveries or refuse to go there at all until companies in London start closing down or raise their own prices to meet their new increased costs until unemployment/London prices hit the high numbers and Mr Khan gets swept into the sewage? I’m just watching this slow-motion train wreck from far away :unamused:

khan will probably get re-elected :frowning:

Park outside the 25 and get them to cycle out on their rickshaws to collect their gear. London- a ■■■■■■■■ of epic proportions, did 7yrs delivering into all the iconic city centre buildings (loyds,bishopsgate,shard etc) complete pain in the arse. Horrible place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My firm are in the process of ordering me a brand new Actros cab that will get a 5 star rating on the dvs system. Apparently, this means it will comply with all needed requirements for at least 10 years. That makes sense, but the fines for under equipped vehicles will force many companies to stop going into London.

Born Idle:
My firm are in the process of ordering me a brand new Actros cab that will get a 5 star rating on the dvs system. Apparently, this means it will comply with all needed requirements for at least 10 years. That makes sense, but the fines for under equipped vehicles will force many companies to stop going into London.

That sounds good, and being rewarded with the ability to carry on working while others are sidelined is an incentive to renew your vehicle. I wouldn’t put too much heed in to the longivity of your vehicle’s compliance though. As administrations change, new ones cannot be tied by a previous administration’s policies. So it wouldn’t surprise me to hear of another green ( money making) scheme in 5 years time.

njl:
For now you can retro fit camera and screen, audio warning and signage to comply.

Edit - and sensor system

content.tfl.gov.uk/hgv-safety-p … ondon2.pdf

Or you can fit one of these. :wink:

Wots going to be the result when the first accident in the dark due to the (must not be switched off) camera display blinding the driver to a pedestrain or unlit cyclist in de rigueur dark clothes, one who would otherwise have been seen if not for said display, gets investigated.
Large fines for driver and operator if vehicle found with display switched off, yet said display reduces considerably the chances of seeing anything outside in the area beyond the display is situated.

Same with the little window in the passenger door, a complete waste of time and effort and cost to fit unless there’s a well positioned small convex mirror installed to take advantage of that perfect blind spot field of vision said window permits, but then those who dream up such things never ask the people who do the job for a living for input, ship spoiled for ha’porth of tar.

The way things are going we’ll all soon be required to get 4 new pairs of eyes fitted at a one of many mutant conversion centres, not only does one have to scan the windows, there’s 6 mirrors at least to check, and whatever the display happens to be showing at the time, all at different focal lengths and all this under city street lighting plus the inevitable multi thousand watt lights every car now needs so where you look is constantly varying between deep dark shadows stupidly bright lED lights and lcd displays…you just know in the event of an accident when a particular individual camera’s footage is shown on a 40" display that you will be held responsible because at ethe same time as everything else you’re checking you should have seen whatever tiny unlit spec it was on the multi screen showing anything up to 4 x 2" displays on nearside door pillar that changes depending on which indicator you flick on :unamused: … how the hell you’re supposed to monitor all these viewpoints constantly as the lemmings swirl around you in city traffic buggered if i know.

Can see it being increasingly difficult to find drivers prepared to drive in London at all, and they haven’t finished yet, bound to be more such garbage in the pipeline.

Juddian:
Wots going to be the result when the first accident in the dark due to the (must not be switched off) camera display blinding the driver to a pedestrain or unlit cyclist in de rigueur dark clothes, one who would otherwise have been seen if not for said display, gets investigated.
Large fines for driver and operator if vehicle found with display switched off, yet said display reduces considerably the chances of seeing anything outside in the area beyond the display is situated.

I keep mine off (night driver). Although i don’t go into or near London thank GOD. You still get the audible beep beep beep if there’s something on your NS even though it’s perfectly visible in the mirror…Also when i’m in the yard maneuvering about it goes ballistic because it detects things 5-10m in FRONT of the cab but only at low speeds LOL.

Also how long before we run out of space to plant all those stickers/cameras/discs? So far I have the no smoking, wear a seatbelt, no mobile phones, height (although technically not a sticker…), o-disks, vosa plate/sheet for some reason hanging from the 2nd level bunk, display for cameras, internal radar/camera/tracker(?) pointing towards the front, used to have a sticker to remind drivers to check oil/tyres/water but only on 7.5t and a “don’t drive off in 2nd gear” on the manuals.

Been rather amusing at Tesco and Coop in Thurrock.
Basically all the old units are being sent to the Midlands or Scotland and we are getting all the new units that the other distribution centres were meant to be getting.

So no south/north divide at all. :grimacing: I wonder how many other firms have done this.
Not so much of a cleaning the UK air just sending all the old trucks up north to pollute up there.

I guess it is not too new we have been exporting old trucks to 3rd countries for decades.

all that money would be much wisely spent to train cyclist not to be dic*heads! Drove there for 3years, could have killed few if i wanted.
I am buying euro5 truck for peanuts and will show London middle finger!

In the 1980s I used to take a lot of fruit from Spain/Italy into Covent Garden market when a Lorry Access Zone of some kind was being introduced.Numerous letters and silly stuff was sent my way until I got peed off with it all and refused to deliver there any more.Even now the nearest I go to London is the M25 and that’s only because of ferries from Newhaven.