London Route Help

Hi all

First drop in London monday morning, Sumner Street SE1 9HZ. Coming down from holyhead Sunday afternoon

Having never been into london before, looking info on the best way in, Will be probably coming in on M1

Thanks in advance

I would go across the Dartford crossing then in A2.

Or you could go in A13 across blackwell tunnel way but you won’t get back that way as tunnel is lower north bound

I can’t help you with a route there as I don’t know. Having just been into London myself last week though, a tip would be be very very careful with the use of a sat nav. Look at a map and stick the a or B roads as much as possible. The sat nav will try and cut corners off down side streets that you then can’t get out of. Get it clear in your head which roads your supposed to be on, then if your sat nav tried to take you else where then ignore it.

One thing mine did the other day was that I was on a road where there was an 18T limit at night, but my sat nav obviously had this programmed as a limit 24/7. If I’d followed my sat nav to go round the limit I would have needed the police to shut roads so I could get back out.

As I said, I can’t help with a route to where you going but I quick look at google maps if agree with the other post. Dartford crossing the A2 all the way over to Southwark bridge road, then your there.

Just seen you said your coming M1 in which case you could go down the A202 skirting round the congestion barge zone past Hyde park, Victoria, over Vauxhall bridge then take a left either onto a304 or a3 depnding in height restrictions as I don’t know then your pretty much at your drop once you reach the A2. That would save coming right round the M25 to dartford

freightjourneyplanner.co.uk
But don’t pay too much attention to the estimated journey times…

Rowley010:
Just seen you said your coming M1 in which case you could go down the A202 skirting round the congestion barge zone past Hyde park, Victoria, over Vauxhall bridge then take a left either onto a304 or a3 depnding in height restrictions as I don’t know then your pretty much at your drop once you reach the A2. That would save coming right round the M25 to dartford

I wouldn’t go straight through the centre of London of a drop on the south side but it’s up to you.
Especially during the day.
I wouldn’t go down B roads in an arctic either they are very tight and you will struggle to get left or right turn on most of the roads
If your boss is annals about fuel you can down the M1 onto north circular A406 and round onto the A13 but if it’s morning time it will take a while getting round it

M11 down to A406 …you can park at sainsburys beckton overnight from which you will be 10 15 minutes away from delivery on a clear run I.e before 6am … follow a13 into central London through Limehouse link tunnel and the highway a1261 a1203 you can turn left over Southwark bridge Sumner Street on right

Pulling a standard curtainsider and running about 37 tonnes

Thanks for the suggestions so far, much appreciated

+1 on dogs route. But you’ll be in the London Lorry Ban on unexcluded roads if you are much past Limehouse Link before 0700.

Have you checked if your vehicle is registered with lbts? And get it in an email or text from your boss, is case you need it in court later, as if you’re not registered, you’re not allowed in before 7am even if you have an earlier booking time. We do a regular drop down there, and the lbts route is down the A1 to the Angel then cut through Holborn, over Blackfriars and left onto Southwark Street, then left into Sumner Street. But our job is that side of the pedestrian zone by Great Guildford Street. Do you know which side you need to be? As you can’t drive the whole length of it

I won’t be in much before 10am I think

csujamie:
I won’t be in much before 10am I think

Then you don’t need to worry. Dogs route wins I reckon, as there are works on the A1 Holloway rd to the Angel, its often slow even if its moving.

Yes I agree the A13 and Southwark bridge is best for that time. Just make sure you enter Sumner Street from the right end

OVLOV JAY:
Yes I agree the A13 and Southwark bridge is best for that time. Just make sure you enter Sumner Street from the right end

I agree and I would also use Google Street view to find the best possible entry point into the street itself.

dogthehunter:
M11 down to A406 …you can park at sainsburys beckton overnight from which you will be 10 15 minutes away from delivery on a clear run I.e before 6am … follow a13 into central London through Limehouse link tunnel and the highway a1261 a1203 you can turn left over Southwark bridge Sumner Street on right

I agree the above route is best, I’m based in se London and find this the best route. M1, A14, M11, A406, A1020 (city Airport/Silvertown), A1020 is better than A13 in rush hour. Then the Highway/Southwark Bridge.

Thanks all for the route, worked a treat, was on the southwark bridge side of sumner street with one poxy pallet!!

dogthehunter:

Where can you park at Sainsbury? Handy for the ferry too.

After reading this post i am glad most of my work is mainly in Shropshire, :smiley: and not in this prohibited place,