London newbie=stress

hi all, got a start next week through a agency on artics and to be honest im dreading my first load inside the m25, not got much artic experiance but plenty of class 2 and wagon & drag my worry is that i come across a low bridge or take a wrong turn and end up stuck. iv got aa truckers atlas and a normal sat nav im hoping to get hgv sat nav in time but will make do at the minute…any advice would be welcome?

All I can suggest is planning, spend a few minutes sussing the route out by looking at your map. I didn’t relish the idea but I had a fairly good idea about London to start with. I did find that there are more opportunities to turn yourself around than you might think.

I was dreading it the first time I went to London earlier this year, now I seem to go about once a week and genuinely it isn’t that bad, it does take far too long to get anywhere but it’s just like a big town, generally the roads are wider than in most towns anyway so you get a bit more room even if it is busy.

There are a lot more cities and towns in this country far far worse than London for getting round!

If you are worried about low bridges, keep an eye on the road signs. 99% of low bridges in the UK have warning signs near the last available alternative route, even if it’s just a roundabout to go back the way you came.

Probably the only useful thing to come from our Heath and Safety culture.

W