London Lorry Control

evening all just thought i would post some imfo theres a site www.londonlorrycontrol.com very usefull if your route planing in london theres online mapping and also imfo on bridge heights and weight restictions also full mapping detail of the london lorry ban you can also buy a book think its round £8 but has evrything you need to know if your working in the london area hope thats of some use fellas

I bought the book a short while back, it’s ok, but I felt a bit short changed (ok, its only £6.50 at amazon, but a central london A-Z can be had for £3), as it is basically a glorified map of central london (and not a particularly good one). With a few pages at the beginning to form the “guidebook”.

There is a double page spread on loading rules in london, i.e. what the different coloured lines mean (broken, unbroken etc).

There is a single page on the congestion charge and a single page on the london lorry ban, which is what I bought the book for, but unless you drive in London before 7am or after 9pm, then it doesn’t apply to you at all, so it will be quite a niche requirement.

There is one semi useful feature that is a table of the different london borough’s and their differing rules on waiting times for loading before they ticket you, and also details of how to get a loading dispensation, a rare thing to bother with indeed in my limited experience. Unless you are definately going to be loading for a good few hours in London, you just chance your arm and try your best to dodge the wardens.

Apart from the map, the rest of the book is adverts and a flag waving exercise for Mercedes.

I think the map is poor (i’d go so far as very poor) because it only has roads which you can get a truck down, though most of them aren’t even named, only the primary routes have their numbers and names printed on, its like a trunk road map it just isn’t necessary at that scale, you couldnt possibly navigate from it.

A street level A-Z obviously has everything, so is far more useful for finding your way. The front of the book argues that the small roads are excluded because you couldn’t use them anyway, but it is still useful to be able to see them on a map, as it allows you to use road names are marker points to pinpoint exactly where you are. There is a zoomed in section of the map which is a full A-Z type affair. But the zoomed in London section of the AA close up truckers atlas does a better job. It has bridge heights marked, and widths. But then so does the AA truckers atlas.

I was trying to be as objective as possible, they have obviously gone to some effort to get this info together in one place, but the book itself just isn’t that much use. You can read about the lorry ban in 10 minutes on the website and find out all you need to know.