London junction boxes

got handed 65 quid fine today from the boss, back wheels sitting in the yellow junction box, :frowning: all paid, and now its time to just get on with things, but i was wondering how you artic boys make the decision to move across the box, all the time your leaving a space to drive into its being filled by cars slipping in from every where

Perhaps one of the experts on here could advise as to how long you have to wait before attempting to cross. 15 minutes? An hour?
You could call the plod out to do a bit of point duty and get the traffic moving again.

I always carry a tin of black paint with me, paint out the box, then proceed

heliguy10:
got handed 65 quid fine today from the boss,

If it’s your truck then pay it, if it’s the boss’s truck tell him to pay it. If he gets arsey about it, pay it then steal £130’s worth of his diesel.

one thing i never knew about until recently is if you put one wheel inside the cycle box at every light it is now [apparently]a fixed penalty and 3 points

And they are policing the cycle boxes too last time i was in the Vauxhall area there must have been 4 or 5 pcs / pcso on every set of lights !!

truckman020:
one thing i never knew about until recently is if you put one wheel inside the cycle box at every light it is now [apparently]a fixed penalty and 3 points

You’re crossing the solid stop line on the road by entering the ASL. It is travelling through a red light.

Ultimately, this is the bosses problem. Not yours.

Head over to the pepipoo forums and post up both sides of the pcn and the experts on there will probably rip it apart, but the council will not accept drivers appeals. It would have to be from the registered keeper.

Agree with going over to Pepipoo whose members will do their best to get you off the fine.

Disagree with it being the bosses problem. Did he tell you to ignore the rules surrounding box junctions? Different if you picked up a parking fine because you were told to unload kerbside for example. But fines for bus lanes, yellow box junctions or parking fines because you decide to park to just quickly go into the shop to get a sarnie shouldn’t be the bosses problem.

m1cks:

truckman020:

You’re crossing the solid stop line on the road by entering the ASL. It is travelling through a red light.

Sorry, but not quite as simple as that. This is a very commonly misunderstood thing. If the light is on Red already and you creep over, then you are completely correct. But If the light changed and you stop in it to avoid going over the 2nd line, then that is NOT an offence.

Highway Code rule 178
Advanced stop lines. Some signal-controlled junctions have advanced stop lines to allow cycles to be positioned ahead of other traffic. Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red and should avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times, e.g. if the junction ahead is blocked. If your vehicle has proceeded over the first white line at the time that the signal goes red, you MUST stop at the second white line, even if your vehicle is in the marked area. Allow cyclists time and space to move off when the green signal shows.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10, 36(1) & 43(2)

Another reason why I detest driving a truck in London so much. In heavy traffic it’s almost impossible to leave a space big enough for an artic the other side of a box junction without another impatient road user pulling into that space. It’s worse when the ■■■■■■■ do it when you’re moving, come racing past you dart into the space you have, leaving you partly in the junction. Some of the most impatient and ignorant drivers you’ll come across.

If you’re heading from East India Dock Road to the Blackwall Tunnel there are 2 sets of lights so close together you wouldn’t fit an artic between them, box junctions both sides, traffic filtering in on the left, others pushing in from the right…all fun and games !!!